What kind of music does everyone listen to?

Rapidmc

I have been into everything from punk to country and am looking for some new music to listen to. These day I am growing tierd of what I used to listen to and am not really into what I hear on the radio. I think it would be interesting to find out what people here listen to. So whatcha got?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up with a lot of different kind of music, and can appreciate all of them. I love classical music and opera because of my father's passion for it. I also love the 50's Golden Oldies because of my mum. I have also found a fondness for 80's stuff because of my husband who was a teen in that era. As for me, I like just about everything that is considered "current", and in all kinds of genres from country to hip hop. Some days I don't care to listen to any one artist or band, and prefer to just listen through an entire movie soundtrack.

A quick get-together group called Liquid Tension Experiment has been playing in my place the past few days. They made two good albums worth checking out, and a third that may only appeal to the most intense music geek.

Very closely related is my favorite current group Dream Theater. Progressive rock/metal. Longer songs, insanely gifted musicians, and music that keeps revealing itself to you a little at a time after each listen.

Think of them as a mash-up of Metallica, Rush, Pink Floyd, and Yes. Odd combo for sure, but I've been into them for years now.

I have been into everything from punk to country and am looking for some new music to listen to. These day I am growing tierd of what I used to listen to and am not really into what I hear on the radio. I think it would be interesting to find out what people here listen to. So whatcha got?

Well, it's different:

I so want to find a dance class:

(Yes, the lyrics are fine. Not sure how he decided on that title.)

From the Classic world my favorite is impressionistic era – I like most baroque but not for more than an hour. Growing up my favorite was Henry Mancini. I do like the music of the restoration (Hymns). Paul Cardall is my favorite contemporary LDS composer. I enjoy classical guitar, and new age (Enya) as well as big band. I can handle some oldies rock and roll but not the heavy stuff. I can handle blue grass but not hard core country. Show tunes are fun – stuff like Star Wars, Superman, James Bond, Wicked etc.

The Traveler

I have a lot of genres from a lot of ages in my CD collection. Yes, Yes... I'm still on CDs. Bite me.

4 Non-blondes is the first on the alphabetically ordered CDs that I can see from my chair here (although I'm sure I got 10,000 Maniacs which should have been before 4 Non-blondes - must be misplaced or lost, hmm...).

Ziggy Marley is the last.

I have stuff from the Baroque era - Vivaldi, Bach, Purcell, Handel. All the way to today - Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, etc.

Okay, as my suggestion for you to listen to. I'm staring at my CD Collection... and Jars of Clay sticks out as something I would recommend to LDS.netters.

Although I still love a good Punk song (especially any good remake of an oldie) I have been steering toward an opposite genre.

Regina Spektor

Vienna Teng

The Avette Brothers - Folksy, but great!

Plug any of those into Pandora, and you have an instantly great station.

I think of music a little differently than others. I like to think of how I can put it to a Movie, or home video. What something would look like in slow motion, or shots of buildings and people and such... wierd, but that is the way my mind works. I LOVE a good song with stunning video.

Might i suggest Peter Maunu's "A Warm Sound in a Grey field"

Ill try finding a sample when i can get to a real computer.

Hey Rapidmc,you might want to try some post rock like Moving Moutains. I actually got my son into them who used to be the lead singer in a fairly known local post hardcore band here in SE Florida. He and his friends really like them and I took them all to see them a couple months back.

Other bands that come to mind might be Ex Norwegian (indie pop), Vampire Weekend. Metric's new album Synthetica is really good. If you like Coldplay you might want to try The Doves or Elbow.

If you want to try some Post Hardcore, I would recommend We Came As Romans, their lyrics are like reading a Steven Covey book..haha..seriously :mellow:

Edited by Windseeker

Might i suggest Peter Maunu's "A Warm Sound in a Grey field"

Ill try finding a sample when i can get to a real computer.

OK here is a sample of a very excellent artist, who's done a very good album, I wish he's published more than just the one album (that i can find). And probably not very well known.

This is a very excellent album for relaxing, remembering or pondering with.

I always go back to my favorites, like less than jake

and the offspring. what I love about our globaliness is that we have so many more options. My guilty pleasure music is
and

I like the quote on the less than jake video.

The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult…

so true :glare:

I mostly listen to praise and worship music: Hillsong, Christ Tomlin, Michael W. Smith and the WOW praise albums. Some contemporary Christian music is good--especially the slower, more inspirational songs. Keith Green's music is prophetic in his calls to abandon lukewarmness.

There is some excellent secular music out there, but I just don't have time to find it.