Shaken AND stirred..

Bini

No amount of training can prepare you for motherhood. Really. About an hour ago, I had the worst scare with my 10 month old daughter. I had decided to give her a little bit of scrambled egg. She ate it without much of a fuss. Less than 10 minutes after finishing, she started crying hysterically, and frantically rubbing her eyes. First thought, it's just gonna be "one of those days", and I picked her up and bounced her a bit. Not a moment later, she starts vomiting violently, and I'm rushing to the sink with her facing downwards. It seems to never end. Then after she's regained some composure, I turn her around and look at her face, and she's got red bumps all over her! I unzip her footie pajamas and observe her little body, and she's got red spots all over her chest, belly and arms. Now one eye and bottom lip is completely swollen. I didn't have any Benadryl handy, so I had to throw on clothes, get her into the car, and hit the pharmacy (there's one just down the road). Gave her 1/2 teaspoon about 30 minutes ago. My heart is racing! And, I'm alone because my husband is gone :[ I took some pictures to document this reaction, in case, the pediatrician or whatever finds it of any interest. I dunno what I'd do if something happened to my little bug! First, official scare, well there was one other incident that happened several months ago but my husband was there to help me remain calm. Just needed to vent a sec.

One of my boys did pretty much the same thing about the same age. Pediatrician told me many babies have little tolerance for eggs at that age. Luckily he grew out of it.

But I understand Bini your moments of terror.

One of my boys did pretty much the same thing about the same age. Pediatrician told me many babies have little tolerance for eggs at that age. Luckily he grew out of it.

But I understand Bini your moments of terror.

Pam, I really should have known better because egg is a tough food on the stomach for many people, even without an allergy. I'm really beating myself up about it.

Bini don't beat yourself up. There are so many things about child rearing that we learn as we go along.

I thought when I had made some scrambled eggs that morning that giving him a couple of bites because they were soft and I could do very small bites would be fine. I had no idea at the time that some babies have such a reaction to them. But I learned and didn't try it again for a long time.

You handled it well. Lots of scary stuff can happen with kids. You learn to roll with it, mostly, though that kind of fear is nothing like anything I ever felt before being a mother.

Many sources say that it's okay to give eggs to baby around 8 months old, so 10 months isn't too early (assuming there's no existing family history of egg allergies). However, most of the reading I've done says to give only the yolk to start with, as it's the egg white that contains most of the allergens.

I'm glad to hear she's doing better, Bini. My little girl will be nine months next week, and she's done well so far with berries, wheat, and yogurt, though I'm still nervous to introduce eggs to her.

Thanks everyone.

Interestingly enough, my pedi didn't stress much on eggs! Sigh. But like I said, I should have known better. The pedi mostly emphasised on no nuts or berries until baby is a year old. So I've avoided those, but of course, it's the egg that baby is allergic to! The live and learn lesson can be tough on ya.. Haha. Now I'm like super paranoid about trying the other "controversial" foods.. Lol

Wingnut, I seriously can't wait until baby can eat berries and nuts! I've always liked fruits but berries are especially delicious, and nuts, I've grown fond of them over the years and like to throw them into hot and cold salads - also desserts ;)

Yeah, I can relate. My first child was a "breath holder". Not intentionally, not like the brats that everyone imagines. When he was the right combination of mad and hurt, he would scream or cry, and his muscles would clench, and he COULD NOT breathe in, even though he wanted to. He would then pass out, and in a few seconds, his muscles would relax, he would start breathing, and come to shortly after. It occurs in about 3% of babies, is not harmful, and is not out of the ordinary.

BUT... I can tell you that the first time you pick up a crying child, they can't breathe, and they go unconscious in your arms, is is TERRIFYING. :eek:

Anyway, Bini... keep benedryl on hand. Syrup is absorbed faster than tablets. And consider an epi-pen. Allergies like that are dangerous stuff, and can get worse every time they happen. Epi-pens do NOT treat the allergy, but help keep them breathing longer, so they have more time for other medicines (like benedryl) to work. You may even want to keep them with you at all times, since so many things have eggs in them.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I had a reaction to something that was on the outside of a soda can (No idea what it was). I was at the ER within about 15 minutes of drinking the soda, and was told that if it had been five minutes later, I wouldn't have made it.

Edited by ClickyClack

That IS scary. I think my husband had what you described.. His mother told me he used to go through these episodes were he'd hyperventilate - got so worked up he couldn't breath - then he'd pass out. It continued up until his early teens, too. Scary.

Thanks again for the kind words. I was definitely shaken. But daddy is home now - yay!

Yeah, I can relate. My first child was a "breath holder". Not intentionally, not like the brats that everyone imagines. When he was the right combination of mad and hurt, he would scream or cry, and his muscles would clench, and he COULD NOT breathe in, even though he wanted to. He would then pass out, and in a few seconds, his muscles would relax, he would start breathing, and come to shortly after. It occurs in about 3% of babies, is not harmful, and is not out of the ordinary.

BUT... I can tell you that the first time you pick up a crying child, they can't breathe, and they go unconscious in your arms, is is TERRIFYING. :eek:

Anyway, Bini... keep benedryl on hand. Syrup is absorbed faster than tablets. And consider an epi-pen. Allergies like that are dangerous stuff, and can get worse every time they happen. Epi-pens do NOT treat the allergy, but help keep them breathing longer, so they have more time for other medicines (like benedryl) to work. You may even want to keep them with you at all times, since so many things have eggs in them.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I had a reaction to something that was on the outside of a soda can (No idea what it was). I was at the ER within about 15 minutes of drinking the soda, and was told that if it had been five minutes later, I wouldn't have made it.

I don't know that they make Epi pens for infants and I wouldn't recommend it anyway. This kind of a reaction isn't out of the realm of possibility at this age and she may grow out of it still. Additionally, I'm not sure how I'd feel about injecting epinephrine into an infant when you can't give acetominophen to an infant.

Another consideration for Epi pens is that if you use one, you've committed yourself to a trip to the hospital. This is why many people will try to medicate with Benadryl before using the Epi pen.

Lastly, Epi pens require a prescription, and I would be suspicious of a physician that prescribed an Epi pen after a single reaction to eggs in a 10 month old. For now, back off on the eggs for a few months and try again.

Okay, I go to a hollistic pediatrician. I can't recommend this enough. If I can recommend it 20 times to one person a day, I would.

Okay, my pediatrician put us on a solid-food-introduction-plan thingee. Each of these is unique to each child. She takes into consideration family history and such. By the way, I also get to go on a nutrition plan since I breast-fed the kids until they weaned themselves off.

Okay, this is how she structured my kids' solid food thing:

All new solid food is introduced slowly. One bite at a time, one new food at a time. Starting around 6 months old. Introduce a bite or two (breastfeeding was main meals), if no reaction, then give the full serving the next day. Bananas was the first raw fruit we introduced. We didn't give any other fruit until a year old. And then it was just pears and apricots at first. Apples and oranges was not introduced until 18 months old. I can't remember everything that we did, but I knew spinach was after a year old. Rice was the first grain around 9 months. And wheat was not until 18 months. Corn and tomatoes was also one of those past 2 years old. Cow's milk was not introduced until the kids were at least past 18 months and weaned off of breastmilk. When they were a year old, I would make what I would eat (from my nutrition plan) and introduce those except for the "don't feed these yet" list until they were eating most of what I was eating that was in the plan. Of course, the doritos were not on the plan - I was crazy over doritos those days - and I would let them munch on a few. I didn't follow the plan to a T...

My 1st kid had zero problems. My 2nd kid had allergies up the wazoo. So everytime he gets a reaction to something, we change his nutrition plan. Now, a reaction is not just a vomit or a soft stool or redness and swelling. Irritability is also considered a reaction - any drastic mood changes basically. We gave him an allergy test at around 18 months old just so we know what we're dealing with at that time. He was allergic to everything in a normal breakfast - eggs, cow's milk, wheat, peanuts, pork, etc. We didn't avoid the allergic foods. We just delayed it's introduction and then we only gave him a very little bit of it. He grew out of most of the stuff he was allergic to by the time he was 4 years old. But he still has quite a bit of it today (almost 9 years old) - including peanuts, eggs, milk, wheat, etc. And that's just the food stuff. There's still a jillion kinds of pollen and grass and pets and the kid is even allergic to dust! And there's the allergies to medicine...

Yeah, really tough dealing with those allergies. But yes, we're dealing with it without the daily meds that my nephew is taking. We have Zyrtec, nebulizer, and epi-pen on stand-by including in his school, in the car, at the house, at the cousins' and grandparents... the places he vists a lot.

Okay, another crazy thing - I have a dog that is also allergic to a lot of things!

And lastly... yes, I don't know why there's no Master's Degree requirement before you can have babies... lol. But, these scary things are just part of this thing called parenthood. By the time they're 4 you'll be visiting the ER for broken bones... and by the time they're 14, you'll be visiting the ER for her breaking some boy's nose... LOL! Okay, I was half-way kidding. :D

Edited by anatess

Bini, that would have been so scary. You handled it well.

Whenever any scary situation--broken bones, stitches, choking, allergies, etc., came up with my kids, I usually had my husband deal with it. But, there were a few times when he wasn't home, and I had to deal with it on my own. I would do okay, and was able to remain calm, until after the emergency was over. Then I would have my anxiety attack.

Please don't blame yourself. You're doing a great job!

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Busch Gardens and I saw this for sale there!

Posted Image

"Gluten Free to Go was founded as a way to live simply and safely with food allergies and still have a normal life. Whether you are a busy mom or a business professional on the go, enjoy our allergy friendly snack packs, gluten-free and available free of the top 8 allergens (wheat, milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, and soy)."

You can get some here: rebecca & devyn’s gluten free to go

This is an awesome invention. I got a bunch for my kid's school snack!