Victory Gardens

amberzauche

Hi all,

I have recently been called as the RS mid-week activities coordinator for my ward. The schedule has already been lined up, but I have to come up with some ideas for mini-classes for the activity. In September, our activity will be Fall Victory Gardens, in which a member from our ward will teach us how to prepare a fall garden with heirloom seeds. We've decided that our decorations will revolve around the WWI and WWII victory garden signage encouraging people to grow gardens and cook with their own fruits and vegetables.

One of our mini-classes is already assigned and will be to make garden stakes. I'm looking for at least one or two more ideas for mini-classes. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Canning and/or pickling (either refrigerator, canned, or true crock) comes to mind as a compliment to planting fruits and vegetables. Though that may not be the direction you're wanting to go, are you looking for more garden related classes such as say composting?

I'm really open to anything. I had thought of canning as one of the classes. I would like the classes to compliment veggies and fruits, so we may go with the canning idea. I also saw something on some website about making your own vegetable pasta, but I don't know if we'd have the time for that. I also failed to mention in the original post about the dinner being provided to the sisters. We threw around some ideas about everyone bringing their favorite vegetable dish, so hopefully that turns out well :)

I'm really open to anything. I had thought of canning as one of the classes. I would like the classes to compliment veggies and fruits, so we may go with the canning idea. I also saw something on some website about making your own vegetable pasta, but I don't know if we'd have the time for that. I also failed to mention in the original post about the dinner being provided to the sisters. We threw around some ideas about everyone bringing their favorite vegetable dish, so hopefully that turns out well :)

Do you mean veggie pasta such as this? http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/health/22recipehealth.html Or do you mean something more like your classic tri-color pasta?