Advice in choosing good tv shows and movies

nagatopain17

I love a good tv show, anything from crime like Numbers or White Collar to drama ones like Ten Things I Hate About You.

I'm trying to find some good ones that dont have much or any bad content. I know there will always be "hints" and things like that, but i do not want to have to turn the show off because they start getting intimate inside of an apartment or something.

I watch crime shows most the time, and i know that they will always have episodes that arent quite appropriate, but generally it is easy to avoid ones you know will be bad.

Any references or ideas?

Also, its not just shows, movies would be nice too. I'm a guy but i'll admit it, i like Chick Flicks. Mean Girls, Princess Protection Program, Read It and Weep, etc.

Thanks for any and all suggestions ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest RexOdatis
Hidden

Picking a television that meets your needs is a matter of personal taste and individual requirements. We strongly recommend you visit our store to see each screen in action. At ASK, our sales consultants are here to help you find the right television for you.

I love a good tv show, anything from crime like Numbers or White Collar to drama ones like Ten Things I Hate About You.

I'm trying to find some good ones that dont have much or any bad content. I know there will always be "hints" and things like that, but i do not want to have to turn the show off because they start getting intimate inside of an apartment or something.

I watch crime shows most the time, and i know that they will always have episodes that arent quite appropriate, but generally it is easy to avoid ones you know will be bad.

Any references or ideas?

Also, its not just shows, movies would be nice too. I'm a guy but i'll admit it, i like Chick Flicks. Mean Girls, Princess Protection Program, Read It and Weep, etc.

for fictional shows i general go the sci-fi/fantasy route-

Star Trek, babylon 5, stargate, sliders, The dresden files, but finding a decent one is hard... either too much overacting, or too much of all the icky stuff (usually both).

Munk is a good one.

on the other hand have you looked into documentary sort of stuff? I find i enjoy those as much as the fictional shows.

Currently i've been watching crime 360, and LAPD life on the Beat.

Any references or ideas?

Once Upon a time

Doctor Who

Switched at birth

Say yes to the dress

Good luck charlie

Revenge, Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries (I can't remember any bad parts, but I would check on these).

I think Chuck is good too (but again it's been a while)

Breaking Pointe (about ballet)

Beverly Hills Nannys (about nannying for the rich and famous)

Lying game ( think was okay)

Melissa and Joey (I think was okay)

Bunheads

Baby daddy (so far so good)

Jane by design

Hart of Dixie

Carrie Diaries (not out yet but looks good CWTV.COM)

Beauty and the beast (not sure hasn't come out yet, but looks good CWTV.COM)

• 3 months later...

I think it all depends on how you personally feel when you watch a show. I'm probably more lax in what I watch than maybe a lot of LDS might be, but I have turned off shows when I felt dark inside. I recently starting watching a new one on Netflix, because it had an actor in it that I really liked. It was a cable show, so it's a little heavier than network TV. By the end of the first episode, I felt so dark and disturbed. I definitely won't be watching it again. There are some shows that are just too edgy as well -- a few years ago, my husband watched the entire series of The X-Files. Some episodes in the early seasons were hard for me, even if I wasn't paying attention. I felt the Spirit leave our home. It didn't seem to bother him, though. We compromised on my asking him not to watch them when I was around. She he'd watch while I was at girls' nights, or early in the morning while I was still asleep. I didn't have any concerns after that -- nothing felt off to me when I wasn't around it.

• 1 month later...

I've completely given up on regular TV. Well, just about everything. Sports are still hard for me to avoid, but pretty much everything other than that. One thing you might think about doing is getting a Netflix account? You can restrict it to "PG-13" or "PG" or whatever you like. And then you can just browse the movies that you like by Category. You'll save some money, too. Rather than $50-60 for TV, it's what...$8.99/month?

Just an idea.