Ronda Rowsey: Armbar, 54 SECONDS. Holy guacamole.

Vort

Not sure it's a healthy sign for womens MMA..

..if the only female fighter who could conceivably fight in the UFC is Rousey (and even then, only in a purely hypothetical future, according to White) that's not exactly encouraging for anyone who doesn't happen to be her opponent in that bout. At that point, you're not promoting female MMA -- you're promoting one female MMA fighter. Pretending otherwise would be like saying that just because Bob Dylan still plays to packed crowds, folk music is as popular as ever.

Good Article

Can Ronda Rousey alone continue to grow women's MMA?

You know, I am not a fan of women's MMA. That's largely because I'm simply not a fan of women trying to beat each other into submission. Yet I'm a huge fan of Ronda Rousey (even if I apparently can't spell her name correctly -- how embarrassing). Not sure why. Such superlative excellence apparently overcomes my natural abhorrence.

Edited by Vort

We'll see once Cyborg is back in the ring.

On the whole thing of women fighting... I'm torn. I love a good MMA match, and women's matches can be good. But at the same time, things like Kim Couture having her jaw broken in half is quite a bit more displeasing to see than if it were a man.

Edited by ClickyClack

I can't watch it. At all. I got curious about Gina what's-her-name on that Haywire movie so I youtube'd her fight and I can't even last through the 1 minute youtube video...

Scarlett Johannsen was super cool doing that flying armbar on IronMan 2.. or was it 3? It's my favorite scene in any IronMan movie. I love watching the athleticism - but only in a movie where it's all pretend.

You know, I am not a fan of women's MMA. That's largely because I'm simply not a fan of women trying to beat each other into submission. Yet I'm a huge fan of Ronda Rousey (even if I apparently can't spell her name correctly -- how embarrassing). Not sure why. Such superlative excellence apparently overcomes my natural abhorrence.

You can't be THAT big of a fan if you can't spell her name right. :P Not that I would have known the difference as I have no idea who she is anyway. :)