Proper place and time to pray.

circusboy01

I was just thinking back to when I had just been re baptized. I was having a conversation with the Elders Quorum President about not remembering to pray as often as I should. I told him that one of the places I did remember to pray was in the shower. I don't remember his exact words. But, the point he made was that it is disrespectful to pray to Heavenly Father while you are naked. Was he right? Because it seems to me that if Heavenly Father did not want us talking to Him while we were naked. the first thing He would have done after he created Adam would have been to have him put on something to cover his nakedness.

What does everybody else think.

Off subject: Whenever I refer to Heavenly Father as He or Him I always use capital H. Is this correct? Brother Ray

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The proper way for a man to pray,"

****Said Deacon Lemuel Keyes,

"And the only proper attitude

****Is down upon his knees."

"No, I should say the way to pray,"

****Said Rev. Doctor Wise,

"Is standing straight with outstretched arms

****And rapt and upturned eyes."

"Oh, no; no, no," said Elder Slow,

****"Such posture is too proud:

A man should pray with eyes fast closed

****And head contritely bowed."

"It seems to me his hands should be

****Austerely clasped in front.

With both thumbs pointing toward the ground,"

****Said Rev. Doctor Blunt.

"Las' year I fell in Hodgkin's well

****Head first," said Cyrus Brown,

"With both my heels a-stickin' up,

****My head a-pinting down;

"An' I made a prayer right then an' there--

****Best prayer I ever said,

The prayingest prayer I ever prayed,

****A-standing on my head."

************************************Sam Walter Foss.

"The proper way for a man to pray,"

****Said Deacon Lemuel Keyes,

"And the only proper attitude

****Is down upon his knees."

"No, I should say the way to pray,"

****Said Rev. Doctor Wise,

"Is standing straight with outstretched arms

****And rapt and upturned eyes."

"Oh, no; no, no," said Elder Slow,

****"Such posture is too proud:

A man should pray with eyes fast closed

****And head contritely bowed."

"It seems to me his hands should be

****Austerely clasped in front.

With both thumbs pointing toward the ground,"

****Said Rev. Doctor Blunt.

"Las' year I fell in Hodgkin's well

****Head first," said Cyrus Brown,

"With both my heels a-stickin' up,

****My head a-pinting down;

"An' I made a prayer right then an' there--

****Best prayer I ever said,

The prayingest prayer I ever prayed,

****A-standing on my head."

************************************Sam Walter Foss.

My Bishop when I first rejoined. Bishop Bird had a little poem he taught all the Primary kids.

On your knees, or on your feet.

never never in your seat.

Guest Doctrine

My thoughts on prayer is simple, just talking with Heavenly father, like he is with me. what postion we are in does not matter, just as long as we are respectful and sincere.

I do alot of prayer ponder when i am fishing at the pond, no pun intended.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I have osteo-arthritis and can't kneel down to pray, and sometimes I can't stand up in one place for too long as it hurts to do so, so I have to be seated when praying. My prayers sometimes end up becoming just like a conversation you would have with anyone standing next to you (or, on occasion, incoherent rambles).

However, having said that I know that He listens to our prayers whether we are standing up, kneeling down or wherever we happen to be.

Edited by lizrenowden

I'd like to point out that Jesus was completely naked while being tortured and while he hung on the cross. We know he prayed during these times. He showed, by example, that we should pray no matter where, or no matter the situation, it is OK for us to pray.

Regards,

Finrock

I was just thinking back to when I had just been re baptized. I was having a conversation with the Elders Quorum President about not remembering to pray as often as I should. I told him that one of the places I did remember to pray was in the shower. I don't remember his exact words. But, the point he made was that it is disrespectful to pray to Heavenly Father while you are naked. Was he right? Because it seems to me that if Heavenly Father did not want us talking to Him while we were naked. the first thing He would have done after he created Adam would have been to have him put on something to cover his nakedness.

What does everybody else think.

I think that's silly.

Off subject: Whenever I refer to Heavenly Father as He or Him I always use capital H. Is this correct? Brother Ray

It is neither correct nor incorrect. It is a convention used by many (but not all). There is nothing wrong with it. If you like it, you should keep doing it.

I can't think of a time or place that Heavenly Father wouldn't want to hear from us, as long as the prayer is sincere.

When I was a truck driver, I'd often say a prayer or two while driving. Sometimes for a wreck I pass, or in gratitude for the beautiful scenery I'm seeing out my windshield. I often prayed for safety before I released the brakes and started out.

If your heart reaches to Heavenly Father, say a prayer, whether in the shower or on the job. He's never disappointed to hear from us.

Guest Doctrine

Also, I have talked with family members as well as church family about there ability with the spirit some have said they find it hard to feel the spirit and other find it so easy.

my findings

people that find it easy.

-read scriptures every day

-talk with god every day, by prayer or just thinking about things.

-they knew where they stood with the lord.

-they were who they were.

Those that found it hard.

-rarely read if ever.

-insucure

-tried to hard to impress others.

-stayed to them selfs.

-thought highly of self.

also i did not include sin because we are all sinners, some just dont sin as often as others.

plus i belive if you are sinning i think that is when god wants to talk to you the most, or want to give a little extra love.

Did you ask the EQP what the greater sin was, not to pray or to pray naked. I agree with everyone who has posted that it doesn't matter, as long as it is sincere.

I had just been re baptized after being away from the church for almost 30 years. At the time I didn't think it was my place to question his answer. Brother Ray

I think that's silly.

It is neither correct nor incorrect. It is a convention used by many (but not all). There is nothing wrong with it. If you like it, you should keep doing it.

I have since been remembering to pray a lot more often. So I don't pray in the shower nearly as often as I did when I first rejoined. But there are still times when I do Brother Ray

My Bishop when I first rejoined. Bishop Bird had a little poem he taught all the Primary kids.

And yet we always remain seated for the Sacrament prayer, at least in every ward I've ever been in. Maybe because the person giving the prayer is kneeling?

I pray when seated. I pray after I've taken the Sacrament, in those quiet moments while it's still being passed to everyone else. I pray while seated in my car, like a previous poster said. I pray while seated at the lunch table at work. Somehow I don't think Heavenly Father is going to get angry about those.

Well, I guess I'm a heathen cuz I pray all the time regardless of my posture or my attitude. I've prayed while seated, standing, and while lying flat on my back. I've prayed in the car, while doing my mascara, and lots of times in the shower. I've cried and I've complained. I've poured out my gratitude and I've beat my fists against his chest in protest. I've whispered and I've yelled. I've laughed and I've plead my cause. And I've been taught, corrected, validated, comforted, forgiven, strengthened, and sanctified. Best of all, I've been changed.

I don't know what prayer is to you. But prayer to me is a conversation that I have with my Father. And I'm done trying to make myself all perfect before I talk to Him.

I also believe there is not a right or wrong place and time to pray. Weren't we taught to pray "unceasingly"? I have almost an hour drive to and from work, and I use that time to pray.

Do I fold my arms and close my eyes? Of course not, but my prayers are still heard. I also use this time to listen to Scriptures on CD.

I think it is our attitude and not our surroundings that are important. You can believe there are a lot of prayers going on in war zones and emergency departments all over the world, and those places are not the picture of reverence.

If you feel the desire to pray, then pray. If you don't feel the desire to pray, that's when you should pray the hardest!

Hidden

I also believe there is not a right or wrong place and time to pray. Weren't we taught to pray "unceasingly"? I have almost an hour drive to and from work, and I use that time to pray.

Do I fold my arms and close my eyes? Of course not, but my prayers are still heard. I also use this time to listen to Scriptures on CD.

I think it is our attitude and not our surroundings that are important. You can believe there are a lot of prayers going on in war zones and emergency departments all over the world, and those places are not the picture of reverence.

If you feel the desire to pray, then pray. If you don't feel the desire to pray, that's when you should pray the hardest!

Totally.

I'll tell you....I prayed a lot while I was birthing my babies. I prayed with my legs in the stirrups and my fanny out for the world to see! I had a lot of questions for God in those moments....like "Are you freakin' serious?!?"

Do I fold my arms and close my eyes? Of course not, but my prayers are still heard.

Whenever I feel like closing my eyes in traffic it seems like a good time to pray. :eek:

Your Bishop was wrong. Seated prayers reach Heaven also.

The EQ President was wrong also - naked prayers reach Heaven also.

Sounds like your Ward needs some guidance at least in prayer.

Edited by mnn727

I remember once someone said that a husband and wife should kneel and pray every time they're going to. . . consummate. Kind of like blessing the food, I guess. Now, I think that you can pray any time and anywhere, but to do that as a rule is kind of weird to me.