The New Normal

pam

'The New Normal' Banned By Utah TV Station

SALT LAKE CITY — A Mormon church-owned NBC affiliate in Utah won't air an upcoming sitcom about a gay couple that invites a surrogate mother into their home as they try to have a baby because the station deems the content inappropriate for its audience.

"The New Normal" is set to debut Sept. 11 on NBC.

"For our brand, this program simply feels inappropriate on several dimensions, especially during family viewing time," Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL's parent company, Bonneville International, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said in a statement.

This is what KSL posted on FB:

As we observe the dialogue surrounding our decision to not air “The New Normal”, we regret that the narrative is being reduced to a single issue. KSL did not make the decision to cancel this show because it features gay characters.

We have viewed the pilot and this program contains sexually explicit content, demeaning dialogue and inciting stereotypes that target many groups. KSL considers the entirety of a show before making such a sensitive decision, and reviews many criteria in the decision making process.

To oversimplify KSL’s decision to one dimension is simply inaccurate.

I just watched the extended trailer for the program and I'm glad KSL isn't going to air it.

Hollywood, TV, and other media want us to accept the premise of the New Normal as being the new normal. But its not and never will be no matter what they put on TV/Movies.

In the talk John Bytheway gave on the 13th article of faith he told the story of taking a tour group to Jeruselem. The Guide was shocked to learn that the group believed in chastity before marriage. Bro. Bytheway said he spent an evening seeing what the #1 export on American TV was and was shocked and understood why the tour guide was surprised. He found the man and explain the LDS religion and that many other Christians religions believe in chastity, marriage between one man and one woman. They had a conversation that ended well and started a bridge between the cultures.

I believe all we can do is show the world who we are and that Americans aren't what is shown in TV and movies.

I was reading some of the comments on the ksl facebook page.

Many are upset that KSL would choose not to show this but would schedule shows like Jay Leno and Chelsea Lately which are both shown late at night.

Part of the reason KSL chose not to show this program is because it would be scheduled during family hour.

Chelsea Lately

Ugh, Chelsea Handler is so foul, and not even all that funny.

Though I don't agree with generally keeping gay characters and other controversial topics out of TV lineups because they might offend people, I have no problem with the decision in this case. For one thing, it's own by the LDS Church -- it doesn't surprise me in the least that they would decline to carry it. For another thing, much of the audience is likely to not watch the show and.or be offended by it. It's not in the local network's best interest to carry a show that, as stated, does not fit with its viewers.

NEW Normal

Want a real wake up call go get a degree in mental health counseling like I am pursuing and you will find much worse things than that being labeled as normal for a specific individual.

As to KSL putting any program up on their network or not it is after all their network and they are free to show or not show any program in any time slot they chose. Remember this thing called Free Agency they are just using theirs to not show a program they don't like.

Normal today would not have been considered normal just 30 years ago, 50 years ago. We as a people have allowed nudity, sexual acts, bad language, drugs into our viewing by watching TV, movies with these things in them. If as a whole we stopped watching violent movies do you think Hollywood would still make them? Same with anything that we find offensive if we stopped watching, buying products that support these things they would disappear in a few short months.

You see we are the guilty ones in what we see, hear and accept and the TV and Movies just exploit to the max and make millions of the vises we are willing to allow into our lives.

Man when you begin to look at all things from a mental health prospective things get really boring quick. ha ha

I wonder sometimes what Brigham Young and Joseph and even some of the other prophets would think of us and what we accept as normal today.

Hmmm - interesting problem in freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I will watch to see where the ACLU and the courts weigh in on this. I support the Churches stand - in fact I believe that the public has the right to shutdown any forced use (without approval) of cables that have eminent domain or the use of public frequencies on satellites material that is offensive.

I believe that individuals can view in private what they wish in their homes but not in secret and not with the use of public cables or airways. Anyone using something in in the public domain is subject to prove that such use is for the public good and not the individual enjoyment.

I believe that even what a person views on the internet should be used as evidence in a sex offense trial.

The Traveler