Has The Bible Been Corrupted ?

marcostolto

as a newly interested person, i have been reading the Book of Mormon, but am having a little difficulty understanding what the LDS belief is with respect to the above topic. should we accept the complete Bible as the undefiled word of God, or are there parts of the Bible that have been corrupted, and need to be rejected, and if the latter, is the purpose of the Book of Mormon to indicate what parts of the Bible we should accept or reject, or is it just an extension of Gods Word, serving to complement what has already been written, without any criticism? i feel this is an important issue, that i would like to understand, and hope a member will be able to help clarify this, especially with respect to what scriptures in the Bible, if any, have been spoken of in the Book of Mormon, as having being erroneously modified

The Bible is in remarkably, I would say even amazingly (or miraculously), good shape. The main problem with the Bible is the interpretations people assign to it, not necessarily the actual text of most decent translations.

are there any simularities between the LDS church and Islam? for instance Muslims believe that the actual Bible text was corrupted by man, and that it was necessary for the Quran to correct those errors. This is to an extent also what Jehovahs Witnesses believe, that Gods name was omitted from the Bible text, and had to be restored. Was this also the purpose of the Book of Mormon, or could we say that the Bible text, is trustworthy, as it is? are there any scriptures in the Bible, that you know of, that the Book of Mormon indicates were modified? i specifically refer to what the Bible says at Jeremiah 8:8 "how can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the Lord is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie. (NASB). my understanding at this stage is that the LDS believe that the Bible text is accurate, but incomplete, that is the Book of Mormon was necessary, not to correct, but to provide additional information that was missing in the Bible

Edited by marcostolto
new info

It depends on whether it mentions aprons or breeches (britches) or pants in Genesis. If it mentions aprons it has been corrupted. The Hebrew word חֲגוֹרֵי "chagor" means loin cloth (specifically wrap around with usually separate leg coverings) not aprons. The 1560 Geneva bible is the closest rendition in English and formed the basis of the King James, with all the anti-king passages deleted or altered along with several others to make it fit into a certain program.

exactly what i think i said previously. the purpose of the Book of Mormon was not to correct grammatical errors, ommissions, etc, that had been introduced into the Bible text, but to add new meaning to Gods word, that is, additional chapters, new prophets etc. that is why i believe we can find Bible quotations in most LDS articles.

as a newly interested person, i have been reading the Book of Mormon, but am having a little difficulty understanding what the LDS belief is with respect to the above topic. should we accept the complete Bible as the undefiled word of God, or are there parts of the Bible that have been corrupted, and need to be rejected, and if the latter, is the purpose of the Book of Mormon to indicate what parts of the Bible we should accept or reject, or is it just an extension of Gods Word, serving to complement what has already been written, without any criticism? i feel this is an important issue, that i would like to understand, and hope a member will be able to help clarify this, especially with respect to what scriptures in the Bible, if any, have been spoken of in the Book of Mormon, as having being erroneously modified

short answer is, technically yes... does that mean it should be discredited? no. For a grand majority of it is still truthful and teaches correct doctrines of christ and most importantly helps and prepares to be receptive to the Holy Spirit, so that we might know Christ, so that we may be brought unto God. and in that way the bible is as important as the Book of Mormon and other words that have been given to us.

Most of the of the "corruptions" are generally just missing info, or bad wording that just make some things harder to understand. And considering from where the bible comes from, and all the eras it has gone through it is an amazing book.

Christ gave a very good piece of advice; if any man wants to know if what is said is from God or man, live it and you will come to know if its of God or from something else.

Mormon in the book of mormon also gave some good advice; ponder over it, study it, and then pray in humility with full intent and desire to know.

The Book of mormon is more of Gods words, its another witness of God and Christ and their dealings with man, as well as more calling to bring men unto Christ and his Sacrifice.

it's like adding another hinge to a door, and it helps make the path more clear on what we need to do to please God, and come unto him.

Think of it as two people describing an incident from different perspectives. Both describe the same occurences and situations, but from different viewpoints, so you get a more complete picture of what is happening.

Wow Outshined..you sneak in on occasion and I always miss you. You seriously need to come around more often.

I think that you question is flawed. In the parable of the sower - the problem is not in the seed (the word of G-d) but in the ground (us). Our quest should be to find truth and give that truth place and life in our soul. I believe two individuals standing next to each other reading and conversing from the scriptures - one will find truth and the other corruption to guide them.

The Traveler

"In the parable of the sower - the problem is not in the seed (the word of G-d)"

yes, you have just confirmed what the other LDS members and myself have agreed on, that the Bible text is trustworthy.

You have misunderstood me - in the words of scripture are not at all trustworthy in the mouth of Satan (as we learn in Luke Chapter 4)

It is not the seed but the fruit that come from the seed that is necessary - a seed that does not bring forth fruit is worthless to G-d as well as man - This is not my doctrine. The symbolism of seed to fruit in what is important. Perhaps the parable of the Good Samaritan is what is necessary to understand. Note that at the time of Jesus (and for hundreds of years since) the Jews (and Christians) knew and could prove (or at least thought they knew and could prove) that the Samaritan scriptures were not trustworthy.

The Traveler

very interesting comments. thank you. i think i will focus on reading the Book of Mormon. it contains references to Bible scriptures that the authors, no doubt considered trustworthy, those not include, no doubt were considered less so. its a question of faith. i realised very early on, whilst reading the introduction to the Book of Mormon, that this was a special book.

For the most part - there are a few scriptures that we think have been changed a bit, and a few books that have been taken away... but for the most part, it is reliable.

Here is the JST that shows a few differences:

Joseph Smith Translation

click on a scripture in the above link, and you can see how we think it would be better worded... stuff like:

(JST | Exodus 4:Entry - 21)

JST, EXODUS 4:21 (compare Exodus 4:21; 7:3, 13; 9:12; 10:1, 20, 27; 11:10; 14:4, 8, 17; Deuteronomy 2:30)

(The Lord was not responsible for Pharaoh's hardness of heart. See also, JST, Exodus 7:3, 13; 9:12; 10:1, 20, 27; 11:10; 14:4, 8, 17; each reference, when correctly translated, shows that Pharaoh hardened his own heart.)

JST - 21. And the Lord said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: and I will prosper thee; but Pharaoh will harden his heart, and he will not let the people go.

instead of:

(KJV | Exodus 4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

Here is another entry you might be interested in:

Perhaps the most interesting text of scripture missing from the Bible is the Book of Enoch that is quoted directly in the book of Jude. For hundreds of years it was believed that the remnants of the Book of Enoch that were known to exist were made after the formation of the New Testament. It was argued that the many similarities were because the Book of Enoch copied vast amounts of the New Testament.

However, with the discovery of the Book of Enoch fragments in the Dead Sea Scrolls on scroll fragments dating 300 years BC we now know that the Book of Enoch is the single most quoted scripture in all of the New Testament including the teachings of Jesus that are preserved in the New Testament.

One would think that the fact the Jesus quoted the Book of Enoch more than any other scripture would convince the Christians of today that the Bible is not quite the complete “word of G-d” as traditionally argued. It demonstrates that despite the subtle witness of G-d in proving the arguments of man as foolishness - most (like the ancient Pharisees) will reject the truth when it challenges their traditions.

The Traveler