Caffeine is okay!

skippy740

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look forward to seeing how various family members will explain how their not drinking caffeine sodas still makes them morally superior to my Dr. Pepper drinking self *^.^*~

My DrPepper drink self has to agree with that! Had a cousin once that always said she didn't need to hide her "sin" in a soda can, she could drink coffee.

Of course she drank neither, but her point was clear.

At the LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University, caffeinated drinks are not sold. It is not because of a church or university edict, said spokeswoman Carri Jenkins, but customer demand.

“Dining Services has made the decision to not sell or serve caffeinated beverages on campus,” she told FOX 13. “Simply based on what our customers want or do not want."

Really? No demand at BYU? lol

It all comes down to moderation in all things!

Alcohol, coffee, even caffine, all have their place. They all can and do serve medicinal purposes when used properly. The problem is, mankind with a little bit help from satan can not control their urges & keep going back for more.

Whatever the medical studies may find; drinking alcohol and coffee are still against our Word of Wisdom.

We need a thread to discuss the various Word of Wisdom threads.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/21760-lds-net-references-word-wisdom.html

Really? No demand at BYU? lol

Yeah, I totally don't get that, either. The only places I've ever seen caffeine-free Barq's root beer (which, if possible, is even grosser than regular Barq's) is in BYU cafeterias and at the MTC. Why not (a) get a different brand of root beer (that doesn't have caffeine added)? or (b) if they're bound by the branding, why go through the process of doing caffeine-free? Why not just get it the way it normally is when people buy it at the store? How many people did they really have specifically requesting caffeine-free root beer?

At the LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University, caffeinated drinks are not sold. It is not because of a church or university edict, said spokeswoman Carri Jenkins, but customer demand.

“Dining Services has made the decision to not sell or serve caffeinated beverages on campus,” she told FOX 13. “Simply based on what our customers want or do not want."

I'm calling non-caffeinated baloney on this one--college age students not wanting caffeine? Sure, probably a larger percentage than other universities don't want it, but I'm going to guess that quite a few would be willing to swig caffeine....at least during finals week.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/21760-lds-net-references-word-wisdom.html

Yeah, I totally don't get that, either. The only places I've ever seen caffeine-free Barq's root beer (which, if possible, is even grosser than regular Barq's) is in BYU cafeterias and at the MTC. Why not (a) get a different brand of root beer (that doesn't have caffeine added)? or (b) if they're bound by the branding, why go through the process of doing caffeine-free? Why not just get it the way it normally is when people buy it at the store? How many people did they really have specifically requesting caffeine-free root beer?

Afaik, all Barq's that is sold in Utah is unleaded. It's a corporate distributorship decision, not a BYU thing.

Someone mentioned that habit forming drinks are not good for us so does that mean we should not drink fruit juice, milk and the worst of the worst water each day?

Of course that would be totally silly to not drink these, what the word of wisdom was getting at is we need to know what we are putting into our bodies and how it affects the whole system.

This debate over is coffee or tea good for you boils down to one thing and one thing only do you believe the word of wisdom or not? The hot drinks causing cancer I think is the real point here, so any really hot drink or even food for that matter may not be good for your throat and in the end you the total person.

As to using coffee as a medicine I think that is a personal choice and none of our collective business. If a Bishop or Stake President chooses to deny a temple recommend because of the use of coffee as a medicine then most members that cook with wine should not have temple recommends either. What about members that are fighting to quit smoking, should they be denied a temple recommend? Sometimes it comes down to what is in the heart of the individual not what they are or are not doing that is the issue.

Now for a really interesting question? Why do you think we were given the word of wisdom??

Afaik, all Barq's that is sold in Utah is unleaded. It's a corporate distributorship decision, not a BYU thing.

Barq's rootbeer is distributed by Coca Cola Swire in Utah. They made the decision to distribute the non caffeinated version in Utah.

I can find that nowhere on their website. I find it strange that they didn't provide a link to back up their claim that it was posted.

But then again it is the SL Trib.

I think it's a dangerous story. Seeing an article like that and claiming the church is saying that..just lets people justify their addiction to soft drinks. Yes I say addiction because I am addicted to Mt. Dew. :)

Well, this is my personal view with regard to Mt. Dew, "If you haven't tried the Dew, you haven't yet experienced life."

:)

My late grandmother was vehemently against caffeinated drinks. Once while shopping with my mom and her friend, she was thirsty and asked if she could have a sip from my mom's fountain drink. My mom gave her the drink--and did not mention it was Mountain Dew. Every now and then since she would ask for that "delicious citrus drink". No one had the heart to tell her the truth, and she went to her grave not knowning what she had drank.

I personally don't really care for Mountain Dew.

My late grandmother was vehemently against caffeinated drinks. Once while shopping with my mom and her friend, she was thirsty and asked if she could have a sip from my mom's fountain drink. My mom gave her the drink--and did not mention it was Mountain Dew. Every now and then since she would ask for that "delicious citrus drink". No one had the heart to tell her the truth, and she went to her grave not knowning what she had drank.

I personally don't really care for Mountain Dew.

★☆

I hate Mt. Dew, and all other sodas, don't drink them AT ALL. The only way that I would down Mt. Dew is in the form of my magical stay-awake-all-nighter concoction: Mt. Dew + vanilla ice cream + coffee = I got wings, yo ;)