My aloe vera plant is ill

ruthiechan

It's leaves are a little mushy in some sections and a pale brown, especially the outer leaves. It's blood is a bright yellow and it smells funny when I sniffed it. Also, the consistency is like honey. I know all of this is abnormal.

I water it with desert plant food drops about every two months. For a little while it wasn't getting enough sun so I moved where it was on the patio and thought that would take care of the issue. Apparently not.

I just watered it today with the desert plant food drops in the water. It was about time for me to water it anyway.

Google has failed me, so I ask you, what is going on with my aloe vera?

EDIT: This plant is small and is in a pot with desert plant specific soil.

Edited by ruthiechan

that's your problem right there. Aloe Vera is a shade plant. I know, it sounds weird, I made the same mistake. You think cactus, it should like the sun, right? wrong... it likes the shade.

A little confusing but slightly cooler temps more so then shade. Of course, being in the sun is putting it in direct heat.

I've always kept the aloe in the house. Almost lost it last summer & it did finaly die this summer.

Several days of 100+ degree temps & too cheap to run the air conditioning (of course we aren't normally in the house much during the day anyway), in the house would reach into the 90s every day & only cool down to the upper 70s at night.

The aloe can handle the heat of the day but needs to cool off more at night then what it was getting here, or simply have a little cooler day temps ... hence the shade plant.

I started having problems after we moved when I had it in a more shady spot. . .

Also changed that link is telling me t water it more often. . . that seems weird to me since out in the desert without anyone to water it they wouldn't be getting that much water at all.

Edited by ruthiechan

Aloe is a member of the lily family ... so based on that alone it would seem that while water is good the roots will rot if left in standing water or moist soil constantly. Very dry soils for most members of the lily family slows their growth & development but rarley kills them if the get periodic moisture. As for the sun, most members of the lily family LOVE sun; however, they do not like the heat, so some protection from the hot afternoon suns.

As I recall Aloes in a more naturalized environment do best on hot dry soils that get frequent moisture but a very well drained. So like a hillside where most the rains etc would run off.

I don't recall the aspect (direction) of slope for naturalized aloes. That would help figure out morning sun or the hotest of the hot afternoon sun.

I started having problems after we moved when I had it in a more shady spot. . .

Also changed that link is telling me t water it more often. . . that seems weird to me since out in the desert without anyone to water it they wouldn't be getting that much water at all.

It isn't a desert plant (cacti) really, it is a succulent.

From ~ http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_aloe_vera_a_cactus

Is an aloe vera plant a cactus?

No aloe vera is not a cactus. Aloe vera requires more water than cactuses do and like moist soil vs dry soil.

What is aloe vera?

Aloe Vera comes from an Arabic word 'alloeh', which means bitter. It has been in use since ancient times for healing infections and burns Aloe vera is a desert lily, native to northern Africa,...

Is aloe a cactus?

no it is a succulent plant, a family of which cacti are members.

What is the Aloe Vera?

Aloe vera is an American species of Aloe, which are succulent leaved plants in the family Asphodelaceae of the kingdom Viridiplantae

Unusual characteristics of aloe vera?

It can be used to drink,eat or used to do facial.Answer by: Jenlyn

The pot I have my Aloe Vera in is too tall and narrow. It sits in a semi shaded north window and is thriving- It grew and broke out of its original pot, which was a 4" nursery pot. I put it into an 8" ceramic one and it has pushed itself out of that, growing laterally. I need to find a 6-8" deep 10 to 12" wide dish. Aloes prefer to spread out rather than grow vertically.

When the soil is dry, I set the entire pot into the sink full of water and let it 'drink' it's fill. When the soil on the top feels damp, then I sit it in the drainer to let the excess drain off. Actually this is how I water all of my plants except my African Violet.

The Aloe I had before I moved to Arizona was in a 16" wide, 8" deep pot. It was huge & happy, and sat on my outside, roofed porch.

• 2 months later...

We have a number of Aloe plants and they seem to do well on neglect. We have the best luck when they are not exposed to direct sun for most of the day. They do not need water too often. You can tell if they're not getting enough if the leaves discolor and start drying out at the edges. They outgrow containers by reproducing plants in the container.