• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elephant in the room: You seem to blame the gals for not wanting to to bare 12 children, and then stay home to take care of them. Maybe if you offered to let them go out and work, while you stayed home to care for them you'd get more takers? ;)

Now if he could just take on the child-bearing as well......:D

You know, some times it doesn't matter what YOU want. I wanted to have a load of children, my wife (before we got married) was hesitant, but now has come around. There's just one problem. We have been actively trying for three years. No kids yet. My count isn't high enough, and she seems to have difficulties as well. Whatever you want, be prepared to change your mind.

the church doesn't recognize it as doctrine... yeah..

yeah. . .

Sounds like you have lots more growing up to do yourself before you think about marrying someone and bringing one child into the world, let alone 10 or 12.

You will not find a righteous, mentally stable girl who wants to commit to raising a huge family with a boy who hasn't even received his Aaronic priesthood and faithfully carried the duties related. You are focusing on covenants you can't even make until you have the Melchizedek priesthood. There is more to being the head of a home than siring children and bringing home a paycheck. You are not anywhere near prepared for the most important aspects of fatherhood.

There is an order to things. Follow that order, line upon line, and let yourself grow in the way Heavenly Father has outlined for His sons.

Lol. First off. I don't have the priesthood. And second. I'm still thinking if I want to serve a mission. And third. There are plenty of times when Brigham Young and Joseph F. Smith talked about how bad birth control is, but since the church doesn't recognize it as doctrine... yeah..

Don't you hold the Aaronic Priesthood? If so, you hold the priesthood, just the "lesser" priesthood.

Guest DeborahC

I think every man who says he wants 10 to 12 kids should be forced to go through a nine-month pregnancy and give birth.... then have an opportunity to answer the question again.

This has been posted many times on lds.net but let me post it again. This is what lds.org says about birth control:

Children are one of the greatest blessings in life, and their birth into loving and nurturing families is central to God’s purposes for humanity. When husband and wife are physically able, they have the privilege and responsibility to bring children into the world and to nurture them. The decision of how many children to have and when to have them is a private matter for the husband and wife.

Additional Information

God has a plan for the happiness of all who live on the earth, and the birth of children in loving families is central to His plan. The first commandment He gave to Adam and Eve was to “be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth” (Genesis 1:28). The scriptures declare, “Children are a heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Those who are physically able have the blessing, joy, and obligation to bear children and to raise a family. This blessing should not be postponed for selfish reasons.

Sexual relations within marriage are not only for the purpose of procreation, but also a means of expressing love and strengthening emotional and spiritual ties between husband and wife.

Husband and wife are encouraged to pray and counsel together as they plan their families. Issues to consider include the physical and mental health of the mother and father and their capacity to provide the basic necessities of life for their children.

Decisions about birth control and the consequences of those decisions rest solely with each married couple. Elective abortion as a method of birth control, however, is contrary to the commandments of God.

I think a 19-year-old young man who hasn't gone on a mission just because he "can't decide if he wants to" doesn't have much place to tell people with less than 10 children that they are lazy and selfish.

I think a 19-year-old young man who hasn't gone on a mission just because he "can't decide if he wants to" doesn't have much place to tell people with less than 10 children that they are lazy and selfish.

First I don't hold the priesthood. Why? Because I'm not even a member. Why? Because the church won't let me until I move out of my parents house. Why? I don't understand the reason. I go to church every week. I'm trying my hardest to be kind to people. So before you keep assuming anything else, why don't you get the facts first. Just some life advice.

Edited by Eowyn
Qbert swear words still aren't acceptable.

First I don't hold the priesthood. Why? Because I'm not even a member. Why? Because the church won't let me until I move out of my parents house. Why? I don't understand the reason. I go to church every week. I'm trying my hardest to be kind to people. So before you keep assuming anything else, why don't you get the facts first. Just some life advice.

Wow... After reading this whole thread. Not once did you say you weren't a member. Just the opposite. Your profile says you are LDS.... which apparently is false.

If you've been attending LDS church services every week and attending Priesthood meeting with other young men your age then you know the Church expects all 19yo to be prepared to serve a mission. If you do a search of posts on this site you'll find a recent thread started by young man lamenting the fact that many young women want to marry a return missionary.

I'm 54. LDS, baptized at age 8. I am the oldest of 5 and the oldest grandchild of 30. I have an aunt with 11 and an uncle with 7. The generation before had more children. I understand how special and wonderful large families are. However.... you my friend are not ready to have a large family. Any girl looking at the credentials you've posted here would turn away. At least I would.

My reasons:

1. You aren't a member.

2. You don't hold the priesthood. (I couldn't raise a family without a Priesthood holder. We raised 4 children to adulthood and I had three miscarriages...total 7 children.)

3. You don't have the education necessary to get a job that would support 12 children.

So... my advice is get off your high horse and fix the beam in your own eye before you start trying to fix the mote in someone else's.

You are 19 years old and are legally considered an adult. As far as I know, that's the only requirement to make the decision on your own.

What is the reason you are told that you have to wait to move out of your parent's home?

Something doesn't add up here.

Why should marriage be lower on my list? Why can't I look for someone so when I am mature enough I can marry her? What is so wrong with that? Brigham Young said if you're 18 and not married you're a menace to society

I bet I could find a dozen quotes by general authorities telling 18-year-olds to go on missions and get an education before you could find a reliable source with that quote. Brigham Young never said that. Even if he did, marrying at 18 was a much more common practice then than it is now, and young men weren't going on missions, husbands and fathers were.

Why should marriage be lower on my list? Why can't I look for someone so when I am mature enough I can marry her? What is so wrong with that? Brigham Young said if you're 18 and not married you're a menace to society

I'm not sure Brigham Young said that. But You are a menace to society. But he also placed a high value on holding the priesthood, mission service, and education. Have you done any of that yet?

Go ahead and look. Nothing wrong with looking. But don't be talking about having kids with a 17, 18, 19 yo girl and expect her to be all excited to marry you before you've done what you need to do.

You are 19 years old and are legally considered an adult. As far as I know, that's the only requirement to make the decision on your own.

What is the reason you are told that you have to wait to move out of your parent's home?

Something doesn't add up here.

Because the church doesn't agree with the way my parents live. Not me. My parents. So they say I can't be baptized until I move out.