Swim Suits: Seriously???

Hala401

Guest DeborahC

I can't figure out how to add my photo to this message.

Here is a link to my blog, where I posted photos:

Annie's Simple Life: My New Swim Dress

I made my suit from a pattern I got on the internet and I LOVE it!

It's made from regular swimsuit fabric and was inexpensive to make.

Not only is it modest, it's downright cute!

I can wear it to the market too - and it covers my garments.

I had some skin cancers taken off last year, and the doc told me to cover up in the sun, so this also serves that purpose.

At first, I thought people would laugh, but it's been remarkable!

SO many women have said, "Where'd you get that suit! I want one!" and not just old gals either!

Anyway... I love my suit.

No more tugging at straps and legs, no more worrying what's showing.

I can just relax and enjoy myself.

Edited by DeborahC

Here's one of the links. It took me all night thinking about it to remember who posted it on the other thread.

Modesty: Reverence for the Lord - Liahona Aug. 2008 - liahona)

This is from Elder Robert D. Hales Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and was published in August 2008.

Some Latter-day Saints may feel that modesty is a tradition of the Church or that it has evolved from conservative, puritanical behavior. Modesty is not just cultural. Modesty is a gospel principle that applies to people of all cultures and ages. In fact, modesty is fundamental to being worthy of the Spirit. To be modest is to be humble, and being humble invites the Spirit to be with us.

In everyday living, immodest clothing such as short shorts, miniskirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire are not appropriate. Men and women—including young men and young women—should wear clothing that covers the shoulder and avoid clothing that is low cut in the front or back or revealing in any other manner. Tight pants, tight shirts, excessively baggy clothing, wrinkled apparel, and unkempt hair are not appropriate. All should avoid extremes in clothing, hairstyle, and other aspects of appearance. We should always be neat and clean, avoiding sloppiness or inappropriate casualness.

(End quote)

(Pam posted this in the thread from 2009)

(My brain is foggy. It was early 2009 not the end of 2008)

Edited by applepansy

While I fundamentally agree that women and men should dress modestly, some of the examples posted demonstrate my previous assertation that we can be a little prudish as a culture, but how do we address it in a sports environment?

Swimming is a sport and we can all agree that even some one peice swim suits leave little to the imagination.

Let’s look at the recent Olympics, skin tight suits are not only necessary but a requirement in order to be competitive, what would you do if your daughter was a competitive swimmer? What about volley ball? Soccer? Golf?

While I fundamentally agree that women and men should dress modestly, some of the examples posted demonstrate my previous assertation that we can be a little prudish as a culture, but how do we address it in a sports environment?

Swimming is a sport and we can all agree that even some one peice swim suits leave little to the imagination.

Let’s look at the recent Olympics, skin tight suits are not only necessary but a requirement in order to be competitive, what would you do if your daughter was a competitive swimmer? What about volley ball? Soccer? Golf?

I don't think that Mormons are prudish at all. And your question reminds me of how happy that I do not face the responsibilites of the priesthood.

I really don't pay any attention to sports, but I did notice the usual sexisim that women are subjected to. In Beach Volleyball, the men were pretty well covered, but the women not so much. It does look like Olympic swimming suits were almost the same for men and women. They do not leave much unrevealed, and it almost looks as if they are pretty sheer.

At this point, I think that there may be no connection between what these participants are wearing and their spirituality. I can not judge.

I don't consider myself prudish. I like to dress nicely and even look sexy at times. But I believe that you can do that and still be modest. They GA counsel us for good reason. However, we cannot be blind followers. We must be obedient to that counsel, because we know it is from the Lord. I wear tankinis to swim, I wear "party" dresses so that my girls are not hanging out all over, and my workwear (ie pantsuits & skirts) are not skin tight.

I know when a girl is young and has a great figure, it can be difficult (I'm a "mature" woman now...;)figure not so great) to follow this counsel. But, that is the time to figure out if you will accept the Lords counsel from his prophets on the "small" things as well as the "big". I see many YSA who dress appropriately and many who don't. But that is between them and the Lord.

It's not a matter of being prudish. It's a matter of obedience.

Just as an aside, I saw a LDS video (utube maybe) where a mature woman was talking about modesty and said- "we cover ourselves because we are just so darn sexy!" I thought that was hillarious.

The difference is this..

In competitive swimming you want the least amount of friction, so you don't get to be picky when it comes to swim attire if you want speed. In casual swimming, or to be more accurate, paddling around in the pool, we aren't looking to break world records - rather - it's for leisure enjoyment. In this case, we DO have a choice in what swim attire we put on.

Side note.

I think that in the comforts of your own home, you can certainly throw on whatever skimpy swimsuit you desire, or go naked for that matter. If it's just you and your spouse around, who cares? It's not being immodest because you're not doing it outside of the privacy of your home.

In Beach Volleyball, the men were pretty well covered, but the women not so much.

This feels like an understatement. :) Two inches of fabric separates beach volleyball from anatomy class.

I have sat next to men who, while watching the olympic volleyball girls, said a very simple and lusty "Thank you, ladies".

I'm not sure I understand the evolution of how those bikini bottoms came about. I can't even understand how it would be comfortable to play with those riding the way they do. It baffles the mind. And watching men respond this way makes me uncomfortable.

Not only my daughter but two of my sons were competitive swimmers at the high school level. All three went to State in their events. My older son took 3rd in his 200 Freestyle in a size 22 speedo. (blush) I still can't believe he got it on and as a mother I would have at least gone up a size. My daughter always wore one piece suits but dang were they expensive. Her only other option was naked.

As Bini said competitive swimming is different than swimming for fun.

Side note.

I think that in the comforts of your own home, you can certainly throw on whatever skimpy swimsuit you desire, or go naked for that matter. If it's just you and your spouse around, who cares? It's not being immodest because you're not doing it outside of the privacy of your home.

I once heard a good thought provoking quip, something along this line; "it's what we do when we believe we are private and believe no one is watching us that defines our true character."

I once heard a good thought provoking quip, something along this line; "it's what we do when we believe we are private and believe no one is watching us that defines our true character."

With all due respect, we were born buck naked, so if no one is watching, other than your husband, who cares?

I truly believe this.

Side note.

Oh, no. We have to always be modest, even when just husband and wife are around. I judge everyone who doesn't wear a swim costume that at least covers what my swim costume covers:

Posted Image

Sure, I float like a bubble and once ended up in the middle of the ocean when I hopped in to the St. Lawrence in one, but I'm modest!