Help with modest clothing

millalan

My 5 year old already weighs 80 pounds and I am having A LOT of trouble finding knee length and longer skirts for her. She is still short so although she may fit in a junior size 2 the skirts are way too long.

Does anyone know of any websites that make something that could fit her that you yourself trust? I'm a little lost.

Thanks!

Or you can go to youtube and look at instruction videos. Skirts, pants, shorts - they are easy to shorten. Just cut with scissors (or just fold if you want to be able to make it long again later when she grows taller), run it through the sewing machine in a straight stitch and voila. Done.

although she may fit in a junior size 2 the skirts are way too long.

Where are you located? Check ot your local shpping malls & shopping centers.

I knw taht in University Mall in Orem Utah there use to ba place called Two-Tiny-Tailors that their entire business was making modifications to make it fit better.

Also, this was many many years ago but there use to be a free-standing store somewhere around there that was geared at LDS clothing like womens full slips & weddng dresses etc. They also would do modifications to other NEW clothing that was brought in to make it more modest or more LDS acceptable .... things like adding lace over a low-cut top or legnthening etc.

I would think most any larger city would have places that would perform similar services, or perhaps someone in your community would be able to & could benefit from a few dollars in exchange.

Thanks for all the nice replies! I do not sew. I wish I had a sewing machine I could at least try! I have tried the iron on tape and it either washes out after one wash or on the last skirt gummed up and collected dirt.

I live in arizona so we do have access to a lot of shopping but the things I have seen lately for little girls EW!!

I will keep trying though!

Thanks for all the nice replies! I do not sew. I wish I had a sewing machine I could at least try! I have tried the iron on tape and it either washes out after one wash or on the last skirt gummed up and collected dirt.

I live in arizona so we do have access to a lot of shopping but the things I have seen lately for little girls EW!!

The only other suggestion, other than the hemming tape, is fabric glue. You can find it in various forms. I can't recall the name off the top of my head but I use a glue for making headbands, and it will adhere anything that is metal, plastic, glass, wood or fabric - permanently! No wash will ever separate it. That said, it's a bit pricey and it's not quick-apply-n-dry, it takes time to do its magic.

Millalan, my Tiny Tailor sewing machine that I use for hemming is cheaper than two of my son's jeans. Check this out:

Amazon.com: Singer Tiny Tailor Mending Sewing Machine: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I bought mine for $38 at Wal-mart over 10 years ago! And I still use it until today.

I also bought the Tiny Serger:

Singer Tiny Serger TS380 Sewing Machine | eBay

I bought this together with the Tiny Tailor for the same amount of money.

I like the Serger. It's quite tricky to thread but once you get it, it's not so bad anymore.

So, what I do - say for Pants (even Church pants) - I would cut the pant legs to the proper length, run the edge through the Tiny Serger, then fold the edge about an inch and then run the edge through the Tiny Tailor and then I iron the edge to make the bottom crease and voila - done.

So yeah, it's been at least 14 years since I bought these two little machines for less then $80... and I use it A LOT. I even made book bags, quilts, pillowcases, etc. with those two things for Christmas presents.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest kamal27
Hidden

Hello guys to day i am going to tell about modest dresses. Yes friends this site gives you very good idea about this modest dresses. I will give you the web site Modest Dresses and read more information about this. Hope you like this site.

• 1 month later...