The Three Nephites

Hala401

I'm reading in 3 Nephi 28 where they mention The Three Nephites. I had not heard of this before and find it interesting. The previous chapter felt like a paraphrase of the book of Matthew, and that is not a problem to me because it follows that Jesus Christ would have similar things to say to his church in the Americas as he said in the Middle East.

In the case of The Three Nephites, this is not the first time I have heard this concept. The Shia Muslims believe that the 12th Imam, The Mahdi is still alive on the earth. I am just providing the previous as a point of interest and it is not intended to in any way detract from LDS doctrine.

So, are the three ever referred to again, or are they simply ministering quietly?

I must say that 3 Nephi, for some reason has been a trudge for me and I have learned a lot from it.

I don't recall any further BoM mentioning of the 3 Nephites off the top of my head.

From what I understand, they are currently ministering quietly, though everyone seems to know someone who knows someone with a 3 Nephites story. I like to imagine many of them are true.

I don't recall any further BoM mentioning of the 3 Nephites off the top of my head.

From what I understand, they are currently ministering quietly, though everyone seems to know someone who knows someone with a 3 Nephites story. I like to imagine many of them are true.

Without a doubt things have happened to me in the LDS church that never happened to me in over 40 years of religious experience. There is something special about this church and I hope that I never forget it.

Moroni talks briefly about them ministering to himself and his father.

I'm reading in 3 Nephi 28 where they mention The Three Nephites. I had not heard of this before and find it interesting. The previous chapter felt like a paraphrase of the book of Matthew, and that is not a problem to me because it follows that Jesus Christ would have similar things to say to his church in the Americas as he said in the Middle East.

In the case of The Three Nephites, this is not the first time I have heard this concept. The Shia Muslims believe that the 12th Imam, The Mahdi is still alive on the earth. I am just providing the previous as a point of interest and it is not intended to in any way detract from LDS doctrine.

So, are the three ever referred to again, or are they simply ministering quietly?

I must say that 3 Nephi, for some reason has been a trudge for me and I have learned a lot from it.

Well theres certainly plenty of lds legends that claim to invovle them, scripture wise i think mormon mentions meeting them, and thats the last mention of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than just John, and the three nephites that have been granted to live to the second coming. We do know that there are even more groups that have been visited by Christ around the time hi visited the nephites and the israelites after his resurrection.

Also the servants of God always are trying to improve those around them, even if they are not allowed to share the full gospel with an individual.

This is mostly coming from memory, so may be somewhat faulty. In 2 Kings 2:1-12 we have Elijah taken up into heaven, and I always thought that was interesting.

Something I have never forgotten is that one of my Bible teachers, when I was initially Christian said that the Priest of Melchizedek was a "type of Christ". Now the meaning of "type" in that context has never been clear to me. One teacher even told me that it was his personal opinion that he was Jesus Christ.

Interestingly, I did not find reference to John still being alive today, so it must be an LDS doctrine. I have no issue with that.

Edited by Hala401

1 And it came to pass when Jesus had said these words, he spake unto his disciples, one

by one, saying unto them: What is it that ye desire of me, after that I am gone to the

Father? (3 Nephi 28:1)

They requested to tarry as John the revelator did. Because of their calling and election made sure, their requested gift, unlike the other nine disciples who desired to come speedily to the celestial kingdom (bypasing spirit world, etc) was to tarry and labor. Many others received different gifts. Abraham, Jacob/Israel, Solomon, Moses, Lehi, Nephi, Jacob, Enos, other Nephi, etc.

There is a pattern to this and this is what Nephi, son of Lehi taught us in his first two books before leaving it to us to ponder his writings. Abraham received a "blessed" posterity, Moses, translation, Solomon, wisdom, Moriancumr, a land of inheritance, Lehi, the preservation of his seed in the latter days, etc, etc, etc...

Something I have never forgotten is that one of my Bible teachers, when I was initially Christian said that the Priest of Melchizedek was a "type of Christ". Now the meaning of "type" in that context has never been clear to me. One teacher even told me that it was his personal opinion that he was Jesus Christ.

The meaning of "type" in that context would be similar to how animal sacrifices in Judaism refer or were precursors to Jesus Christ and his sacrifice. Type as in typifying. In multiple ways, he was a representative example of what Christ would do.

Or at least that's my attempt at trying to answer your inferred question =).

As for Johns gift being a purely LDS doctrine, the Bible does speak of how John was unable to be killed and was thus exiled to an island instead. They couldn't kill him because he couldn't be killed due to the gift of God. What the Bible doesn't speak of is how long this gift was being given to him (until Christ's return).