Reactions To Abandoning The LDS Faith After Conversion

i was raised as a Catholic,but converted to the Jehovahs Witness religion, in my youth. after 15yrs in that religion, i decided to leave in 2000, due to disagreements with some of their beliefs. the reaction was overwhelmingly discouraging. i have been shunned by all the JW members who i thought were my friends. they now all refuse to even greet me on facebook. i am really interested to learn more about the LDS church, but at the same time afraid, as all my relatives and their friends are Catholic, and i know that i will receive opposition, if i do eventually decide to convert to LDS. i am also afraid, because i do not know whether i will be able to fit into the LDS religion, and so am worried about how i will be treated by LDS members, if someday i do change my mind, and return to my family's religion?

its a dilemma, that may take years to resolve, it may never even be resolved. all i can say is: i will never forget the Book of Mormon, because it represents many other books in the Bible, that were rejected, yet this has formed the basis for a living Christian religion. this to me, makes the LDS church somewhat special, but not necessarily one that i will embrace, wholeheartedly, however it has awakened my interest in the spiritual realm, and after 12yrs of unbelief, i feel that this in itself, is an achievement. am happy to be able to discuss these issues

Most people approach from a neutral standpoint. From there they gain light. But once they have rejected light--any light, it is because they have been enticed by or sought out the dark. There is never gong back to being neutral. This is why the Nephites became even more hardened than the Lamanites once they dissented. This is also why today, those who leave the church become strong anti-Mormons who cannot leave it the church alone. You either hold fast to the iron rod or fall away into forbidden paths until you find yourself in the great and spacious building:

1 Nephi 8

My sister walked away a long time ago. Any separation or distance has been from her end, not ours. I hope that someday she'll trust that we love her no matter what and always have.

This is also why today, those who leave the church become strong anti-Mormons who cannot leave it the church alone.

i do not agree. not always. some who have been raised as members of a religion, may have been drawn away by interests outside the church circle, or they may have just grown weary, and tired, or disinterested in religion in general. i know in my case, it was a gradual and steady decline, and loss of faith, in all religions, that ultimately led me to leave, and become an active opposer. i even started a campaign calling for the banning of the entire JW religion. it was a mistake, that i regret, but today i have learnt to focus my anger, in a more civil way, by voicing opinion, only on issues that are most important to me, eg the prohibition on eating foods that contain blood & the promotion of the practice of shunning

i was raised as a Catholic,but converted to the Jehovahs Witness religion, in my youth. after 15yrs in that religion, i decided to leave in 2000, due to disagreements with some of their beliefs. the reaction was overwhelmingly discouraging. i have been shunned by all the JW members who i thought were my friends. they now all refuse to even greet me on facebook. i am really interested to learn more about the LDS church, but at the same time afraid, as all my relatives and their friends are Catholic, and i know that i will receive opposition, if i do eventually decide to convert to LDS. i am also afraid, because i do not know whether i will be able to fit into the LDS religion, and so am worried about how i will be treated by LDS members, if someday i do change my mind, and return to my family's religion?

Maybe this talk by an Apostle will help answer your question. Elder Holland strongly states what our responsibilities towards each other are.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/ces-devotionals/2012/01?lang=eng&vid=1831681793001

Hi marcostolto, you do not have any interest in looking into the Catholic religion yet?

M.

Marco. You don't convert into a Church because of the "nice people". You convert into a Church because you gain a strong, unshakeable belief in their gospel teachings.

If you're afraid of this and that, whatever it is, then you shouldn't convert. It means that your faith and testimony of the gospel teachings is not strong enough to rise above that fear. It's better to continue in little steps, learning and searching until it becomes a strong burning in your bossom. Then all those fears of shunning, fears of loneliness, fears of social discrimination... they will all seem just small hurdles that you can accept that risk without a problem.

applepansy :can you post an edited transcript? am on a Vodacom webbox, with limited internet access and no Flash..sorry

maureen:i spent 15yrs as a Jehovahs Witness, but have listed myself on the forum, as Catholic, because it is our family religion. we used to attend church every Sunday, for many years, and i was raised, baptised, received communion, and confirmation, in the Catholic religion, so i have a fair understanding of what Catholics believe.

applepansy :can you post an edited transcript? am on a Vodacom webbox, with limited internet access and no Flash..sorry

maureen:i spent 15yrs as a Jehovahs Witness, but have listed myself on the forum, as Catholic, because it is our family religion. we used to attend church every Sunday, for many years, and i was raised, baptised, received communion, and confirmation, in the Catholic religion, so i have a fair understanding of what Catholics believe.

Not yet. It hasn't been transcribed. Remind me in a day or so. After it is I can email it to you.

...maureen:i spent 15yrs as a Jehovahs Witness, but have listed myself on the forum, as Catholic, because it is our family religion. we used to attend church every Sunday, for many years, and i was raised, baptised, received communion, and confirmation, in the Catholic religion, so i have a fair understanding of what Catholics believe.

But I'm getting the impression you're looking and comparing. What makes you interested in the LDS church and what makes you not sure about the Catholic religion yet?

M.

I would never suggest that someone avoid joining the LDS Church because they might possibly leave it later. But I would also agree that, when you join the Church, it should be with the intent of following that path for the rest of your life. Making the baptismal (or any other divine) covenant should not be done lightly, lest we mock God.