Ashamed and Concerned.

applepansy

I know... no politics so I won't talk about any political candidate.

All I will say is I'm concerned for our country and our Embassy personnel around the world. I'm ashamed our leaders are not more vocal about condemning violence against Americans.

I'm too saddened to be light and flip and talk about selfish 25yos who don't want to be married to their wife of one month, what my favorite movie is, or if somebody should go talk to their bishop, etc.

Well that about sums up my feelings this morning.

I do get weary with the state of things sometimes. It seems like the whole world is going to heck. The good is a little harder to see, especially since that's not what the media prefers to put out there, but there is good out there, too.

I know... no politics so I won't talk about any political candidate.

All I will say is I'm concerned for our country and our Embassy personnel around the world. I'm ashamed our leaders are not more vocal about condemning violence against Americans.

I'm too saddened to be light and flip and talk about selfish 25yos who don't want to be married to their wife of one month, what my favorite movie is, or if somebody should go talk to their bishop, etc.

Well that about sums up my feelings this morning.

Well you're not the only one that feels that way.. here's Randy Newman's take on Political Science.

:P ya, ya, i know... i'm gona go burn for a thousand years now.

This is supposedly about Pastor Terry Jones new movie. He is the florida preacher who wanted to burn the Korans.

My feeling is it is more about 9/11 and the terrorists used the movie as an excuse to attack while blaming us for 'our' disrespect. I fail to see how anything our government did was responsible except that we have free speech.

Hi Apple. I think i know how you feel. I want to share with you some hymns that have a lot of meaning for me when i begin to feel this way.

The first is Hymn #126. To me this hymn is a prayer of deep longing and pleading for the second coming of Christ and ushering in of the millenium. I believe the saints need to send up more prayers like this as the world increases in wickedness.

The second is Hymn #14. This hymn has such a joyful tune and such a comforting message. I wish we sang it more often.

I hope these hymns help in some small way.

my .02...

Why feel ashamed of having a life where we take joy in the little, simple things while the world around us is going to heck in a handbasket? We can control what we can control so when we feel guilty for having a good time at a movie because the world is falling apart seems highly destructive because we're feeling guilty about something we have absolutely no control over. That stuff we need to leave to God and providence just so long as we elect those who we feel can do the job. Not a whole lot we can do after that.

my .02...

Why feel ashamed of having a life where we take joy in the little, simple things while the world around us is going to heck in a handbasket? We can control what we can control so when we feel guilty for having a good time at a movie because the world is falling apart seems highly destructive because we're feeling guilty about something we have absolutely no control over. That stuff we need to leave to God and providence just so long as we elect those who we feel can do the job. Not a whole lot we can do after that.

I completely agree. I'm not ashamed of my life. I'm ashamed of those who aren't keeping the oath they made with the American people. I'm concerned because I don't think the American people are truly paying attention to what is happening to this nation I love.

What can I do? Vote. What else? Be on the right side. Elder Holland said (paraphrasing) "The outcome is known. Our only choice is whose side we're going to be on." (I can get the exact quote later if someone wants it.

I choose the Lord's side.

Hi Apple. I think i know how you feel. I want to share with you some hymns that have a lot of meaning for me when i begin to feel this way.

The first is Hymn #126. To me this hymn is a prayer of deep longing and pleading for the second coming of Christ and ushering in of the millenium. I believe the saints need to send up more prayers like this as the world increases in wickedness.

The second is Hymn #14. This hymn has such a joyful tune and such a comforting message. I wish we sang it more often.

I hope these hymns help in some small way.

The hymn that comforted my hear this morning is

specifically "more purpose in prayer" Edited by applepansy

I completely agree. I'm not ashamed of my life. I'm ashamed of those who aren't keeping the oath they made with the American people. I'm concerned because I don't think the American people are truly paying attention to what is happening to this nation I love.

What can I do? Vote. What else? Be on the right side. Elder Holland said (paraphrasing) "The outcome is known. Our only choice is whose side we're going to be on." (I can get the exact quote later if someone wants it.

I choose the Lord's side.

Here you go apple:

“The future of this world has long been declared; the final outcome between good and evil is already known. There is absolutely no question as to who wins because the victory has already been posted on the scoreboard. The only really strange thing is all of this is that we are still down here on the field trying to decide which teams jersey we want to wear!”

Jeffrey R. Holland

“As societies trivialize traditional values, we witness a flow of immense suffering. We anguish, for instance, over what happens to the unborn, who cannot vote, and to children at risk. We weep over children having children and children shooting children. Often secular remedies to these challenges are not based on spiritual principles. To borrow a metaphor—secular remedies resemble an alarmed passenger traveling on the wrong train who tries to compensate by running up the aisle in the opposite direction! Only the acceptance of the revelations of God can bring both direction and correction and, in turn, bring a ‘brightness of hope’ (2 Ne. 31:20). Real hope does not automatically ‘spring eternal’ unless it is connected with eternal things!”

― Neal A. Maxwell

Here's my take.

I think sometimes we can get caught up in the reported bad news, and yet there is not a time in the history of the world that I would prefer to live in than this one. Just a few positives for you:

1. Your opportunity for education has never been greater

2. Availability of medical care and the quality of that care are better than ever before in the history of the world.

3. Generally if you look around you, you will find that people are good. That is true in the MorCor as well as throughout the United States, and if you have been blessed to travel, throughout the world

I teach at a major university, and I have never (to my knowledge) had an LDS church member in one of my classes. Yes we have our share of MIP's and other issues on campus, but you know what. The students that I deal with are bright, engaged, and compassionate. They care about the world around them and step up repeatedly and consistently to assist. There are great and wonderful people in the world in and out of the church. There are wonderful protestants and Catholics. Terrific Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus, and there are some fabulous atheists and agnostics that I am proud, nay, honored to call my friends.

Yes our world has problems. Doctrine teaches us that this is for a purpose, but stop and ask yourself at what period of time would you rather live? What period of time in the history of the world do you think people were generally more good (however you choose to measure that). While your answer may be different, for me personally, I can think of no time in the history of the world where humanity has been more blessed, nor one in which society generally was as kind, compassionate, and caring as it is in today's world.

Just another point of view...for what it is worth.

-RM

Here's my take.

I think sometimes we can get caught up in the reported bad news, and yet there is not a time in the history of the world that I would prefer to live in than this one. Just a few positives for you:

2. Availability of medical care and the quality of that care are better than ever before in the history of the world.

3. Generally if you look around you, you will find that people are good. That is true in the MorCor as well as throughout the United States, and if you have been blessed to travel, throughout the world

I teach at a major university, and I have never (to my knowledge) had an LDS church member in one of my classes. Yes we have our share of MIP's and other issues on campus, but you know what. The students that I deal with are bright, engaged, and compassionate. They care about the world around them and step up repeatedly and consistently to assist. There are great and wonderful people in the world in and out of the church. There are wonderful protestants and Catholics. Terrific Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus, and there are some fabulous atheists and agnostics that I am proud, nay, honored to call my friends.

Yes our world has problems. Doctrine teaches us that this is for a purpose, but stop and ask yourself at what period of time would you rather live? What period of time in the history of the world do you think people were generally more good (however you choose to measure that). While your answer may be different, for me personally, I can think of no time in the history of the world where humanity has been more blessed, nor one in which society generally was as kind, compassionate, and caring as it is in today's world.

-RM

can i take the jurassic period?

but on the serious side.. the good is going to get better and the bad is going to get worse.

Here's my take.

-RM

Where do you teach? LDS kids are more likely to get higher education.

I take exception to education being more available now than ever before. School loan debt is higher than ever before. We're bankrupting this generation in the name of getting an education. You don't need a Bachelor of Arts in Office Administration to be a Secretary or Receptionist...all you need is basic skills and a desire to serve. (I speak from experience.)

The place where inflation is highest is in the cost of higher education.

Where do you teach? LDS kids are more likely to get higher education.

I take exception to education being more available now than ever before. School loan debt is higher than ever before. We're bankrupting this generation in the name of getting an education. You don't need a Bachelor of Arts in Office Administration to be a Secretary or Receptionist...all you need is basic skills and a desire to serve. (I speak from experience.)

The place where inflation is highest is in the cost of higher education.

I teach in Michigan, Division 1 research intensive university.

I get what you are saying about the cost of education, but around the world it is far easier to get an education be that home schooled, elementary, secondary, or post secondary, or even self taught than at any other time in history. Access to information is more readily available and cheaper that at any period in history. So I'll stick by that. Even with the cost of higher education, a greater percentage of the US population and world population will enroll in higher education than ever before.

Source please for your claim that LDS kids are more likely to pursue higher education than other demographics?

-RM

I get what you are saying about the cost of education, but around the world it is far easier to get an education be that home schooled, elementary, secondary, or post secondary, or even self taught than at any other time in history. Access to information is more readily available and cheaper that at any period in history. So I'll stick by that. Even with the cost of higher education, a greater percentage of the US population and world population will enroll in higher education than ever before.

Source please for your claim that LDS kids are more likely to pursue higher education than other demographics?

Here is one, found with a quick Google search:

Education, Scholarship, and Mormonism « FAIR

I sometimes start to feel guilty as well, when I'm having a good day or when I see a good movie and know all the while the world is getting so bad for so many. But I trust in that feeling and know where It comes from and so I allow myself to feel good. As much; and as long as possible!!

I attended the Toronto Film Festival and saw a documentary call the The Central Park 5. It so broke my heart for those 5 children. They will never get their youth/lives back that was stolen from them. And their city will not/refuses to take responsibility. It made me feel ashamed as a human being.

I'm so grateful for my testimony and the strength that comes from leaning on my Savior. I know that the prophet is teaching us what the Lord wants us to do/be. ALWAYS.

Edited by BrendaM
needed to add

-RM

It will take me some time. My neighbor broke her ankle and I'm off to pick up her son.

Edit: I found one of the charts right away :) Posted Image

This is supposedly about Pastor Terry Jones new movie. He is the florida preacher who wanted to burn the Korans.

My feeling is it is more about 9/11 and the terrorists used the movie as an excuse to attack while blaming us for 'our' disrespect. I fail to see how anything our government did was responsible except that we have free speech.

I am sickened by all this. And when I went to talk to some Muslims I know, it made me feel even more sad. I am like so totally, absolutely, completely, irrevocably done with Islam. I had been using Hijab when I see them to not offend. I am done with it.

Shockingly, Mormons I know are much more loving and forgiving toward them than I am right now.

The hymn that comforted my hear this morning is

specifically "more purpose in prayer"

One of the advantages of being a later convert is that I've got a wider selection of hymns when I need cheering up.

You just can't stay too depressed when you sing along with this one:

(Sheet music for those so inclined: Leaning on the everlasting arms - Hymnary.org )