Catholic - Question about Septuagint version of OT

Hello,

I don't have difficulty with the Book of Mormon.

However, I find it very difficult that I might have to use the protestant version of the Old Testament, instead of the earlier orthodox version of the Old Testament - used by Catholics.

I searched lds.org and mormon.org and didn't find anything definitive that would "prohibit" me from using the Septuagint. So, that is my question.

Do I have to let go of the Septuagint in order to be Mormon?

Thanks

Hello,

I don't have difficulty with the Book of Mormon.

However, I find it very difficult that I might have to use the protestant version of the Old Testament, instead of the earlier orthodox version of the Old Testament - used by Catholics.

I searched lds.org and mormon.org and didn't find anything definitive that would "prohibit" me from using the Septuagint. So, that is my question.

Do I have to let go of the Septuagint in order to be Mormon?

Thanks

No, you don't have to let go of it.

Thanks, that makes me feel much better :)

Can someone please explain to me why Mormons don't mind the use of the Septuagint? - which has 7 more OT books.

The reason I ask is, as a Catholic, I've been ridiculed for years by protestants for not using their bible - even though the Septuagint was the Christian canon everyone used up until the reformation.

I find it fascinating (and a relief) that the Mormon church isn't against like other protestants.

I appreciate your guidance on this.

Thanks, that makes me feel much better :)

Can someone please explain to me why Mormons don't mind the use of the Septuagint? - which has 7 more OT books.

The reason I ask is, as a Catholic, I've been ridiculed for years by protestants for not using their bible - even though the Septuagint was the Christian canon everyone used up until the reformation.

I find it fascinating (and a relief) that the Mormon church isn't against like other protestants.

I appreciate your guidance on this.

65 of the 66 Protestant Biblical books (minus Solomon's Song) are considered "canonical" by the LDS Church -- though the term "canonical" really is not used, and we don't (or shouldn't) think of things in those terms. The other Biblical books are called "Apocryphal", and we believe they can be profitably read and studied by the Spirit, but otherwise are not necessary.

As a Church, we embrace the KJV for the English translation, but otherwise put no stipulations on which translations (or languages) members are encouraged to use.

The simple reason is that we believe that the Bible is only one stick. When you're trying to find North and you only have one known point of reference, it is difficult to find where North is. What you need are two points of reference and then you can find North.

So, the Testament of Jesus Christ cannot be discerned by just the Bible. It requires another Testament - the other stick - which is the Book of Mormon.

So that, whatever Bible you are using as long as you interpret the lessons you get out of it by bouncing it against what we know is true from the Book of Mormon, you won't go astray.

Also, in our Articles of Faith:

... If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

You can pluck things that are praiseworthy, virtuous, and lovely out of several things - including the Septaguint.

What Joseph Smith was told about the Apocrypha:

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;

2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.

3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.

4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;

5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;

6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.