25 and thinking of Mission..

ssrt

So I was baptized when I was 24. I am a male and now 25 going to be 26 at the end of the year. I have had the thought of going on a mission increasingly present in my mind. I've spoken to the bishop and he is supportive. I am looking for some input on the matter as I haven't said anything to anyone in my ward or family who are not LDS.

I know I have a testimony of the gospel, and I am afraid I will regret not going someday. I do feel like I should have my bachelors by now and I am working on it.. so I will delay that even more. I've also just started a job that could be a great paying union job in the future. I am also in the hiring process with a few law enforcement agencies which has been one of my dream jobs since a kid. I will be leaving some relationships that I sincerely cherish and am unsure if they will be there when I get back.

I hope that second paragraph doesn't sound like a bunch of excuses. Although they probably are. Having stability and a family I can support is my priority as I never really had that as a child.

Then there is my age... I know I have had so many spiritual feelings in regards to serving a mission. Yet there are times I am confused and feel the opposite about it and that I should keep working towards my degree and career.

Thank you for any advice/input I sincerely appreciate it.

Edited by ssrt

I know I have a testimony of the gospel, and I am afraid I will regret not going someday. I do feel like I should have my bachelors by now and I am working on it.. so I will delay that even more. I've also just started a job that could be a great paying union job in the future. I am also in the hiring process with a few law enforcement agencies which has been one of my dream jobs since a kid. I will be leaving some relationships that I sincerely cherish and am unsure if they will be there when I get back.

I hope that second paragraph doesn't sound like a bunch of excuses. Although they probably are. Having stability and a family I can support is my priority as I never really had that as a child.

Serving a mission would be a life-changing experience for you, and I assure you that it would not be a decision you would regret seeing through. It's possible that you will regret not going. However, it doesn't sound to me like you're making up excuses. At 25 years old, your plans and focus in life are much different than those of a 19-year-old. I would expect your priorities to be different as well. It sounds like your concerns are very appropriate for your age, and even legitimate.

Serving a mission would be an un-regrettable, impactful, and eternal choice. Finishing your education and beginning a family would be a prudent, impactful, and eternal choice.

I don't think there's a wrong decision in this case.

Personally.

Hello,

I hope you don't mind if I comment on your post. My eldest daughter is currently serving a Mission and her youngest brother is planning on leaving for his mission next year. My Middle son however has chosen not to serve and has been teetering down another path. I am concerned for him however I have supported his decision. He would not make a good missionary if he was forced to go and it would turn out badly.

That decision must be between you and Heavenly Father, however it sounds like you already know the answer. All I know is that my two children who have chosen to serve, seem to be much happier in their life and relationships. They seem to be more responsible and both know what they want in life. A Mission has a way of helping you to figure that out. If those relationships are true relationships, they will be there when you return and they will be much stronger than they were before you left.

Heavenly Father knows what is best for us and sometimes it's not what we thought at all. When you serve a mission faithfully and truthfully, the blessings you and your family receive are more than you could even imagine right now. Maybe there is a better relationship waiting for you down the road that you are not aware of. Maybe that relationship is with your Heavenly Father.

I wish you much luck and happiness, I'm sure you will make the decision that is best for you.

I didn't become active in the church until I was 19 and I was 21 when I left on my mission. Yes, I had to put life on hold (I had a good job and only a year left of college) and I had to deal with parents who were not supportive, but I knew what I had to do.

Pray, Fast, Read the Scriptures, and then LISTEN for answers. You have two good options before you, you will not be left alone is making this choice.

Also, if you haven’t received your patriarchal blessing yet talk to your Bishop about having this done, it may provide answers as well. I know many friends who were instructed in their patriarchal blessing that they would serve a mission. In mine I was only told if I had the desire to serve a mission then I would have the choice to serve.

Addressing the age issue, I know while I was on my mission that I always appreciated and respected the "older" missionaries. They bring a perspective and maturity that is sometimes lacking in the younger guys.

My future brother in law went on his mission to Japan at 24 and became good friends and served along side an American (late 20's) that I taught previously during my mission to Japan.

I appreciate the time you all took to respond. It definitely helps me think this through more than you may know. I do recognize the ultimate decision will be between me and Lord, through prayer, fasting, and scripture study. I will continue praying and searching the scriptures. Again, it's helpful to hear your thoughts and advice. Thanks!