Ann Romney and garment question

pooter1

I was watching a late night talk show last night and Anne Romney had on a dress that hiked way up when she sat down.The first thing I noticed was there was no way she was wearing garments.Ive seen this with Marie Osmond also(dancing with the stars outfits) is it ok to not wear your garments when you are performing or acting ? I am a performer and there is no way no how I would go without my garments.The people I perform for know I am lds and I would not want them to question what i am questioning about these ladies today.What do you think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is, apparently, an entire website devoted to examining her outfits and whether or not she is wearing garments. Honestly, I really couldn't care and I think it's a waste of time to sit there examining it.

Do what you're comfortable doing. What the current celebrity of the moment does is irrelevant.

Margin of error,If you read my post then you know the real question was Is it ok to not wear your garments when you are performing or acting? I don't care if she wears them or not,none of my buisness. Are you a member? Do you know the answer?

It is acceptable to not wear garments when participating in physical sports. Something to the effect of Dancing With The Stars or Ballet & many other forms of dance are very much a physical sport albiet not a sport that we generally would think of or classify as such.

Acting? :confused:

I commend you for your question.

One thing that has sticks in mind from the day I took out my own endowment some decades ago is a statement the Temple President made about remembering the purpose of the garment and urged us to seek to gain a greater understanding of the times it may not be approppriate to wear the garment while desiring to wear them always.

IMHO Anything beyond the basic church stance it is generally a matter between you & the Lord. Are you comfortable with the answer you would give if He asked you why you did not wear the garment?

My one criticism (upon which I should not dwell) is that I don't think Mrs. Romney being on a talk show falls under acting/performing. However, ever since a high school art teacher taught us how to "undress" people in order to better sketch them, I've been in the habit of garment searching. I've learned that I can rarely be 100% and I don't know what to do with any conclusions, anyway.

But yes, I do think that if garments and the activity at hand just don't mesh, it's fine not to wear the garment as long as you aren't seeking excuses. For me, if I'm practicing yoga in the privacy of my own home, my garments and nothing else are a very good work-out outfit. However, if I'm going to the gym, I do not wear the garment underneath my work--out clothes. This largely has to do with comfort as I can't stand to have layers when I'm working out.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge whether she was wearing garments or not. Some garments will shrink up over time. I have one pair of old bottoms that barely hit me mid-thigh when I sit down now that were the proper length when I bought them. I also have a pair of bottoms the same size but in a different fabric that still go well below the knee.

You mean this outfit?

Posted Image

I don't know why you think she's not wearing garments here. The hem length would cover garments. Also, when this type of skirt hikes up, the garments would too. Only garments worn with loose flowing skirts would be free to remain where it is when the skirt moves.

Acting? :confused:

For example, if you were in a role that required a sleeveless top or short shorts/skirt (assuming you're a woman), or to be topless in a scene (if you're a man...maybe mowing the lawn or something). Would you refuse such a role based on costuming? I think that's how "acting" comes into play.

I was watching a late night talk show last night and Anne Romney had on a dress that hiked way up when she sat down.The first thing I noticed was there was no way she was wearing garments.Ive seen this with Marie Osmond also(dancing with the stars outfits) is it ok to not wear your garments when you are performing or acting ? I am a performer and there is no way no how I would go without my garments.The people I perform for know I am lds and I would not want them to question what i am questioning about these ladies today.What do you think?

Are you saying that because you didn't happen to see Anne Romney's garments that you were questioning whether she was wearing garments at that moment or are you questioning whether she wears garments at all? I think that just because you didn't catch a glimpse of garment in that particular instance, doesn't mean she was not wearing garments at that moment, nor does it mean that she never wears garments.

Why were you trying to see if she wears garments? Isn't that between her and the Lord?

As for acting/performing, my understanding is that there are times when the garment would not be worn due to the costume involved. While you might refuse a role in which a sleeveless top would be worn, others might accept that. It doesn't automatically mean that you are 'right' and they are 'wrong'.

...is it ok to not wear your garments when you are performing or acting ?...What do you think?

IMO, I would think that yes, in these situations it's best to not wear garments. As you've mentioned Marie Osmond did not wear hers while performing, neither did Donny Osmond when he performed in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat; and I believe Steve Young did not wear his during football games.

M.

Leah,I don't care if she is wearing them or not.I am a performer and sweat on stage and was just wondering if I should not wear my garments while performing. I see other members on TV do it so I was jsut using her and Marie Osmond as an example. I don't know if she wears them or not,nor do I care, just made me think about the entertainment business and garments thats all.

For example, if you were in a role that required a sleeveless top or short shorts/skirt (assuming you're a woman), or to be topless in a scene (if you're a man...maybe mowing the lawn or something). Would you refuse such a role based on costuming? I think that's how "acting" comes into play.

An example would be this video put out by the Church: He is Risen - He is Risen

The man playing Christ is shirtless during part of the video.

Leah,I don't care if she is wearing them or not.I am a performer and sweat on stage and was just wondering if I should not wear my garments while performing. I see other members on TV do it so I was jsut using her and Marie Osmond as an example. I don't know if she wears them or not,nor do I care, just made me think about the entertainment business and garments thats all.

I don't think anyone is saying you "shouldn't" wear garments while performing. I don't know how that impression would have been given. There is no prohibition against wearing garments while performing. The garment would not be worn if the required costume would expose it, but otherwise, there is no need to discard the garment.

I am friends with people who have been performing for years. There is rarely any need to forego the wearing of the garment. The costume for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolar Dreamcoat was used as an example. During the wearing of that costume, the actor would not wear garments. But in other costumes, other roles...sure....no reason not to.

Anne Romney was not performing, so whether or not she was wearing garments is not relevant to this particular question.

Dravin,Good point! I know when I go home from performing I am so sweaty and sticky. I will have to pray about this.Still not feeling quite right about it both ways.

Leah, Anne was not performing but she is famous and under heavy lights when in an interview so she works with the entertainment business. I seemed to upset you with my question and I apoligize. I should have not used any names as to not upset anyone.They were just examples for me.

Crazy. Well she was preforming in fact. It is what politicians do. I can think of a number or reasons she might not wish to wear garments. Some rude so I will keep those to myself. One excellent reason might be so IF the skirt rode up her garments would not show making them fodder for hate photo ops. Personally, if she is not wearing them I am going to suspect that was the reason. Lately I have been exposed to an annoying number of photos showing huge disrespect so would be happy to see she prevented that from happening.

I don't wear my garments during pre-planned sports. I play pickup games of soccer and basketball with them on. When I was still playing in an organized league I did not wear them while playing soccer. Same with basketball. I also wear them when I go out for my 4 mile rucksack hike (exercise) and come home quite sweaty. I change into a clean pair after I shower.

Dravin,Good point! I know when I go home from performing I am so sweaty and sticky. I will have to pray about this.Still not feeling quite right about it both ways.

Leah, Anne was not performing but she is famous and under heavy lights when in an interview so she works with the entertainment business. I seemed to upset you with my question and I apoligize. I should have not used any names as to not upset anyone.They were just examples for me.

I was not upset by your question, just curious.

I know Mormons in the entertainment business who are under hot lights every time they perform. They wear their garments. Removing the garment is not going to make a significant difference in this situation (and it's really not more than a guy wearing "regular" underwear and a t-shirt), and they choose to strive to keep their garments on, rather than look for a reason to take them off, as some might do. They do not feel some discomfort is enough of a reason for them, as there are simply going to be times when wearing garments might be slightly uncomfortable. In this instance, they are going to sweat under the lights anyway, so they do not feel that is reason enough to perform without their garments.

Other people will have their own opinions, of course.

I think basing our wearing of the garment on what somebody else does - he doesn't wear garments when he does such and such, so I shouldn't/don't have to, either - can be dangerous ground to tread. I think if we have a question about whether or not we can remove the garment in a certain situation, we should hit our knees and ask for guidance, rather than concern ourselves with what others do.

Crazy. Well she was preforming in fact. It is what politicians do. I can think of a number or reasons she might not wish to wear garments. Some rude so I will keep those to myself. One excellent reason might be so IF the skirt rode up her garments would not show making them fodder for hate photo ops. Personally, if she is not wearing them I am going to suspect that was the reason. Lately I have been exposed to an annoying number of photos showing huge disrespect so would be happy to see she prevented that from happening.

It's a tough situation to be in, that's for sure.

My friends have been the subject of speculation by fellow Mormons who wish to be judgmental...by non-Mormons with an inappropriate curiousity...by people who are convinced that celebrities would never bother to follow the 'rules' of the Church....and are shocked that they do...the list goes on.

It's kind of...interesting?....that in today's society some think of us a cult or just plain weird for our garments...yet the same people wouldn't bat an eyelash at a man who chose order from Victoria's Secret and wear the items himself. Shoot, they would argue for his "right" to do so, while at the same judging and denigrating us for our religious garments.

Now here is something I thought of.There have been times when Ive been on stage and one of my friends have told me they could see my garments through the lights.Could it be that famous mormons don't wear them under lights as to not draw any kind of attention to them??? hmmmmmmm

angel. I think the answer is obvious, really. If they don't show through the costume then there is no reason to take them off, unless your performance is so vigorous it's like an athletic event. Even then it's a totally personal decision. We aren't supposed to be commanded in all things. But I wonder why you couldn't just ask the question without referring to Mrs. Romney at all. Why even bring her into it? I have a hard time completely believing it doesn't concern you at all if she wears garments or not. Otherwise you wouldn't have even mentioned her.

For what it's worth, my garments would easily fit under the skirt she was wearing. I get petite because I'm only 5'2. The cotton/poly ones only hit me mid thigh when I'm sitting down. Someone taller wearing petite can wear a shorter skirt easily without them showing.