General Conference time again!

HiJolly

I guess that baptism took - I actually know almost all of these except for 'DI' and 'EQ RM.' I know what RM is, but not EQ. I am the SP, but I don't get on anyone's case until the end of the month.:lol:

The first time I watched Conference, before I was baptized or even met with missionaries, I was impressed by 'How Firm a Foundation.' It sounded so Protestant!

dahlia, I am impressed! 'How Firm a Foundation' *IS* Protestant! We "borrowed" it.

HiJolly

DI = Deseret Industries. That's less of a Mormon thing and more of a Jello Belt thing (obviously there is a lot of crossover), it's the Church's version of The Salvation Army.

EQ = Elder's Quorum.

SP = Stake President (possibly Presidency), at least in the case of Vort's initial soup. What is your's standing for?

Whoops, yeah, not Stake Presidency. Supervisor for VTs. I thought it was that because it followed on HT.

Not so big on Deseret Industries out here. I've heard of it, but wouldn't think of it on my own. I gather it is just in Utah and maybe Idaho? I say Idaho because many missionaries who have come through my ward have been from Idaho and they might as well be from Utah to me. Very Mormon. From towns where almost everyone is LDS.

General Conference can only mean one thing:

Time for my semi-annual 8 hours of napping.

Once I had the elders and some LDS neighbors over for GC and food. The neighbors had to leave early with the baby, but the elders hung around - and fell asleep on my couch. There was an elderly man speaking and I heard this heavy breathing. It took me a minute to realize it was the elders. I figured they needed the nap and let them be.

Ha ha, thats funny, reminded of Peter, James and John.

I think they fell asleep at the most important hour too.

In the grand scheme of things, I think there are a lot more important hours out there than General Conference. Especially now that it is in a format so easily consumed in print.

In the grand scheme of things, I think there are a lot more important hours out there than General Conference.

In the grand scheme of things, there are a lot more important hours than just about anything you can think of. That doesn't mean those other things are unimportant, especially General Conference.

I am wide awake for all ten hours of General Conference. I cannot possibly absorb it all in one weekend, so I relisten to it every month until the next General Conference.

In the grand scheme of things, I think there are a lot more important hours out there than General Conference. Especially now that it is in a format so easily consumed in print.

I can sympathize with that somewhat; but there are two issues that make me try to be present and semi-attentive during the original broadcast:

1) I'm too cheap to take the Ensign right now, and - frankly - too lazy to go online and download the talks one by one. If I don't listen to conference when it first comes out, odds are I won't listen to it at all.

2) Even though we don't take the sacrament there, I do view conference as a worship experience. The music, and merely the act of being "present" and knowing I'm participating at the same time as several thousand (million?) others, does contribute to that experience in a way that reading a website or listening to a YouTube video weeks or months after the event never could.

I'll be doing my usual comments or highlights of each talk as I have for years now under the general conference tab. You can also catch them at the lds.net facebook page.

I was so touched by the closing song this Sunday morning session, If the Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not. I had never heard this song before. It was so beautiful and had such a great message, and of course the Tabernacle Choir sang it wonderfully. I was very glad to learn it is in the old Deseret Sunday School Songbook (thank you, Google) as i luckily have a copy of that.

I was so touched by the closing song this Sunday morning session, If the Way Be Full of Trial, Weary Not. I had never heard this song before. It was so beautiful and had such a great message, and of course the Tabernacle Choir sang it wonderfully. I was very glad to learn it is in the old Deseret Sunday School Songbook (thank you, Google) as i luckily have a copy of that.

I realize this is an older song and there aren't any official recordings of it anywhere - except the Church's web site!

october 2012 General Conference LDS.org

Entire Conference

Yipee!

HiJolly