When did you learn the truth?

Bini

I'm only interested in hearing from those that grew up with the tradition of Santa Claus. At what age did you learn the truth, and how did you learn it? Were you devastated? Or did it end up not being a big deal? Considering your own personal experience, will you celebrate Santa Claus with your children?

My personal experience growing up with Santa was a blast. Christmas was always my very favourite holiday. Finding out the truth was tough for me but wasn't a big deal for my younger sister. In the end, we both have fond memories of celebrating Santa, and neither of us have been emotionally scarred from it. Anyway, my daughter is too young this year but I am considering the idea for next year but at this point I'm neither absolutely for it or absolutely against it.

I'm only interested in hearing from those that grew up with the tradition of Santa Claus. At what age did you learn the truth, and how did you learn it?

I was 7 or 8 years old.

Were you devastated?

It was a little disappointing, but it didn't bother me. A friend I had told me Santa Claus isn't real. I went home, asked my mom, and she confirmed Santa Claus the story, wasn't real. However, Santa Claus, the truth, was my mom and dad. Nothing changed.

Parents agreed never to tell us a lie.

Considering your own personal experience, will you celebrate Santa Claus with your children?

Yes, we have be celebrating Santa Claus since our children were young. As with my parents, if our children ask, we will tell them the truth, Mom and Dad are Santa Claus.

Our oldest was 10 years old when he finally asked, but we think he knew before then, he was needing it confirmed.

I was probably around 9 years old when I found out that Santa wasn't real. I wasn't scarred for life when I found out. By that time I already knew there was no such thing as magic, and I had stumbled upon some of the Christmas presents before Christmas day and was able to put two and two together. Just needed to confirm it.

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I love the traditions. I love the Christmas spirit of giving. I enjoy seeing people in a giving mood rather than a give me attitude. People just seem to be in a better mood during the holiday season. I loved the excitement my little children would get in anticipation of Santa Claus coming. I love the excitement of seeing them opening their presents.

I always tried to teach my children why we were celebrating Christmas. We are celebrating Christ's birth.

Now that my children are all adults, (youngest is 18), I admit, that some of the magic is gone on Christmas morning when we open the presents.

My kids (youngest 24) still insist that their parents are Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus.

I still believe in Santa ;) If you don't believe he doesn't come. I still get a gift from Santa so that proves it right? :D

Growing up and with my children we tried to make the Santa tradition about service. Isn't that what Santa does? Service in the form of presents.

Edited by applepansy

I was maybe 7 years old. An older school mate told a group of us younger kids that Santa wasn't real. It really hurt to hear it from him. When I got home I asked Mom and Dad. They took me outside so that my younger siblings couldn't hear and told me that Santa was more than a man.

They explained how he personified a way we all should be treating people year round. It was that Christmas when Christ's birth was put into the forefront of our celebration.

At that time we were not LDS, actually we belonged to no one church. Mom & Dad asked me to help them keep Santa alive for my younger siblings.

Bini, if you make the birth of Christ the forefront of the Christmas holiday's - The Reason for the Season - then there shouldn't be any great emotional upheaval when your daughter eventually finds out that Santa is not really a magical elf.

After that year, our Christmas spirit began just before Halloween and ended on Valentines day. We would have some of our neighborhood play mates over for dinner on Halloween, then go trick or treating around the block. Then from then on, we did "good" deeds for our neighbors, and we did them in secret.

Like weed the across the street neighbors massive rock garden- with Grandma's help so we wouldn't pull up the "chicken of the woods" plants, etc. And wash the next door neighbors windows when they went to their grandson's birthday party. Us girls helped Grandma make apple pies with the apples in our yard, then with Dad's help we delivered them to the neighbors. No one was safe from our good deeds.

Go online to lds.org, to the Primary lesson manuals and download them. Study the lessons for December for all of the age groups, let them be your guide as to how you teach your daughter about Christ, Christmas and Santa.

I learned Santa wasn't real when my mother asked me to eat the cookies we had just placed out for Santa. The rest of my older siblings were asleep and I knew they no longer believed. Believing in Santa was exciting and great fun. I used to think I could stay awake just to meet him but little kids often believe anything no matter how little sense it makes. A fat man coming down the chimney to give me presents made all the sense in the world back then. Believing in Santa was enjoyable for me but it did make me lose a little trust with my parents when I found out he wasn't real. I don't know if I'd want to lie to my kids and tell them he is real just so they can enjoy the whole magical effect of it all. I like knowing the truth even if it is less fun. I guess I'm more or a red pill rather than a blue pill kind of guy but the blue pill sometimes seems more fun. I'm sure there are ways to still make Christmas as fun. I just haven't found them out yet.

My mom was scarred for life in finding out, in an offhand and callous manner, that Santa was not real. She is bitter about it to this day, I think. Needless to say, we did not grow up believing in Santa.

My wife and I do Santa with our kids, but at my insistence, we tell them everything up front. WE are "Santa". The kids didn't seem to feel deprived at not "really" believing in Santa, and I think it made them feel a little bit grown-up as little children to be told that they are to "keep the secret" about Santa around their friends.

I was probably 6 when my two older brothers told me Santa wasn't real. I didn't believe them, obviously- DUH! Of course he's real! Then I took it upon myself from over the following several years to do my own personal investigation. The TRUTH was revealed to me little by little, presents under my parents beds, catching my parents setting things up after they thought I was asleep, the process of logic developing in my head, etc. I let go of the fantasy a little at a time so it was never an all at once bursting of the bubble for me.

We've done the same for our children. For instance, I'm REALLY bad at hiding presents, a little on purpose. I intentionally leave scraps of wrapping paper lying about. What do they *think* I'm doing in my bedroom, alone with the door locked for hours at a time the few days before Christmas? I don't knock myself out to perpetuate the myth. And when the moment comes that a kid asks me if it's true, I just ask them to tell me what they think. I don't think I've ever had to say the words, "Santa is fake" to any of my kids. That's too harsh. We just let them figure it out on their own ( with a little help from older siblings) and none of them have any hard feelings towards us. One exception is my daughter who at 9 last year angrily asked me about it. I used my method of asking her what she thought and she told me all the reasons the facade was breaking down for her. She was disappointed in not getting something she'd asked for and was a bit put out with me. A little mad at us for leading her on but I think sh'es gotten over it. We really didn't discuss it much after Christmas Day. She did let me know in no uncertain terms that she is very aware of who the Tooth Fairy is. And she is mostly very patient but kind of rolls her eyes at our pathetic excuses when the Tooth Fairy fails to show up (forgets) for days at a time. ( She got lost in a snowstorm. She was on vacation in the Bahamas and asked the Easter Bunny to help but he messed up...)

Guest LiterateParakeet

For me it was so not a big deal, that I don't remember how old I was. What I do remember is figuring it out for myself and feeling pretty sneaky about that. :)

Yes, I let my children believe in Santa. I think it is a fun part of childhood, but at the same time I try not to over do it. I am really against the whole "be good or Santa won't bring you any toys" thing, for example. Discipline at my house works the same all year round, no Santa threats. :)

I was sneaking around my house with my brother, snooping for presents. I was about 4. My older brother couldn't read yet, so I found the presents and read 'From Santa' on them and it was a few months away. I then told my brother about it and asked my mom.

She said he was letting her hold on to them.

I looked up at her in disbelief and said, "Mom. 'From Santa' is in your handwriting."

She still tells that story and laughs.

Technically speaking, I have never found out: my parents have never come out and said "these are the facts". There was a ten-year span of children in the household, and for a while it was "Santa only brings presents to those who believe". My parents were also VERY good at the Santa thing--I don't believe they have ever left a scrap of doubt, which can't be said for the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy as those folks didn't last very long at all in our household.

So, I guess I just came into knowledge of the truth on my own, roughly at about 9 or 10 years of age. Very non-traumatic that way.

Truth be told, I am absolutely charmed at the idea of Santa Claus. I doubt I'll work very hard to keep up appearances, but I believe he falls into the category of "The Importance of Fairy Tales".

One year when our oldest was about 11 or 12 we had a little extra money and bought a stereo for the family on sale. The boys were at school. We had our youngest with us, she was 3 or so. We arranged for the store to put the big box in the back of the truck while I was doing something else with her (she didn't even realize daddy wasn't with us for 10 minutes). Then when we got home I took her potty and did some other things with her while "Santa" moved the big box into the house. We had the guy a the store write on the box "To the Applepansy Family From Santa" (no handwriting issues). Then we left the house and finished doing all the things we had planned that day. The boys got home from school while we were still out and there was this big unwrapped box in the living room. I called them after they got home (as usual if I wasn't home) and they were in a tizzy because the house had been locked and there was a big box in the living room. :)

The oldest two had already stopped believing. They KNEW Santa was Mom and Dad. But...there was this box. They questioned their little sister extensively. But she held strongly to "I was with them all day and we were not home." It was one of the funnest years. It confused them for a few more years. They knew but to this day I don't think they know where the stereo came from that year.

Then there was the year our oldest son died. While I was at work and the kids at school several of Santa's elves filled our living room with wrapped gifts for everyone.... they did this TWICE. The younger kids were 18, 15, and 12. They knew we didn't do it. We were all still grieving and shopping for Christmas just didn't have the same feeling that year. But having presents show up unexpectedly brought the magic back but more importantly it brought the Spirit into our home. We know who did it and it wasn't Santa, but when we talk about favorite Christmas' the kids bring that year up.

Now my kids are 31, 27-1/2 and 24-1/2. When we talk about Christmas they make a point of saying "IF you don't believe then Santa doesn't come." Of course, they no longer believe in Santa, but they believe in the magic and they believe in giving.

Don't listen to them, DrP. Go watch Polar Express again with me.

For me and my house, we keep the spirit of Christmas throughout the year. We also sing Christmas songs all year long - we prefer the funny songs that mock the overcommercialization of Christmas. We know why Christmas is important, and we also know why Christmas is fun and exciting.

I was probably about 6 when I found out, by getting up at the wrong time to go to the bathroom, as seeing my mom & biggest sister setting up the stockings.

I puzzled over it a bit & then figured it out. It was an "ah-hah!" moment, without any real regret or whatever.

HiJolly

I discovered gthe truth about the age of 5 or 6 or 7 -- I do not remember exactly. What I discovered was that my parents were assuming the role of Santa Claus not just for our family but for a number of others. As they discovered that I had discovered I became included in the role both with other family members and the neighbors that other wise would have a limited Christimas.

Since that discovery it has been much more exciting and fun.

The Traveler

Santa today is not as fun as Santa back in my day. There are too many Santas in the malls these days you'll have to spin an elaborate yarn to keep up the Santa Claus story.

I loved growing up believing in Santa. When I was growing up, only a very few of my friends get Christmas presents from family and Christmas presents from Santa. The majority of us only get one Christmas present. But, what was special is that I got presents from Santa. Okay, so I didn't get presents from my parents - we only get one Christmas present every year. Siblings, grandparents, uncles, aunties, friends, etc. don't give presents. Most of my friends get a present from their parents, so they don't get Santa presents. For some reason, I found that me getting a present from Santa was somehow more special than getting a present from my parents because of that magical mystery thing.

Yes, I eventually figured out that Santa was actually my parents, but by that time I was also mature enough to tie Santa Claus with Saint Nicholas and his legacy of "secret" gift giving so I appreciated it even more that my parents are continuing the "secret" gift giving tradition even at the expense of their kids thinking they didn't get presents from their parents.

We did the full Santa secrecy bit with my kids. Even going to great lengths as making sure the wrapping paper are different and having grandpa dress up as Santa, ringing the doorbell at midnight, dropping off the bag of gifts at the frontdoor and running off so that the kids can take a glimpse of his red suit. My first son was 9 when he realized Santa was not real. We told him the story of Saint Nicholas and he loved it, so he joined us in keeping the secret gift-giving tradition for his younger brother. But, my 2 sons are too close to have something big like that remain a secret too long, so we ended up giving my younger son the Saint Nicholas story not too long thereafter. They both love the tradition and so last year, we kept up the Santa tradition even if they already know the secret.

Oh, we also have the moving elves tradition (they move around the house at night). They love that one too, so we keep moving the elves even if they know we're the ones moving them.

I don't remember how old, but young enough to still want dolls. One day I noticed that the back room of the basement was locked, which was unusual. I'm not sure why I wanted to go in, but the laundry was back there; maybe I was getting clothes or something. Anyway, I found the key, opened the door and it was like FAO Schwarz.

I wasn't upset. I remember looking at all the stuff and thinking that my sister would be happy because she was getting some doll she wanted. I locked the door and didn't say anything.

As a couple, my husband and I were freaks. We didn't want the boy to believe in fairy tales (the tooth fairy, OK, Santa, not so much). We wanted him to know that mommy and daddy took care of him and saw to his needs, not some fairy. Since he was an only child, we were able to give to him all year, not just wait until Christmas, so I didn't want him behaving in Nov and Dec out of fear that he wouldn't get gifts. Good behavior is something you do all year.

Of course, my mother kept talking about Santa Claus, so I think the boy had it in the back of his mind all the time. He probably thought his parents needed therapy.

What horrible lies are being told in this thread? I'm ashamed of y'all for believing such nonsense as Santa Claus not being real.

The truth is that I'm Santa Claus. I have been telling my kids so for at least 3-4 years now, but they still won't believe me.

So it's your fault the sweater didn't fit!! I wrote all the specifications in my letter. How could you have missed it? And don't give any of that "it was a clerical error" nonsense! I can see I'm going to have to order from Mrs. Claus this year.

I personally never believed in the existence of Santa Claus. It just never made sense for me to believe that but that didn't take any of the magic away from watching him on cartoons, or seeing him on postcards, or reading stories related to him. I loved Santa Claus and still do! But I always had the feeling, even as a child, that such a man could not exist like that.