Not sure what's wrong with me...

Chrissy3818

:confused::confused::confused:

I honestly don't know what's wrong with me! I am coming around and am now just saying the word of wisdom is there to protect us even though scientists say other wise (it is true they can't stick with one thing... For Example Eggs use to be good to have daily and now their not??). I never not followed the word of wisdom unintentionally, but now I just think it's there to protect us.

I still struggle with my testimony, and one problem I think I have it.. I don't know if the spirit is answering my questions or not. So I continue to do what I've been doing (Praying, reading scriptures, trying to find things that will give me the spirit and try to do my best). I know I won't get an answer right away, but I wonder if I already know the answer, I am just afraid? Something is holding me back from believing?

I've never really doubted like I do now, it's gotten bad that I think something is trying to convince me that God or Jesus may not exist, but I can't believe that and I try not to, I mean look at this world! How could someone possibly deny them.

I have no idea what's wrong... I sometimes just want to crawl in bed and cry because I don't know anything and yet I want to know so badly.

:confused::confused::confused:

ADDED INFORMATION:

It's been happening for almost 2 years, but this past 6 months to a year it been slowly decreasing and ever since I moved to a new ward (In July 2012) it hit a rock.

I've talked to my mom, my cousin, one of my friends and I have talked to one of my good aunts. But mostly my cousin and mom.

My mom use to be a member, but has been inactive for around 2 years. (Same with my eldest brother). My mom left because of all the judgment she gets from the church.

And I try to go to church (mostly without her). Which I have been doing for almost a year. She went to church with my last Sunday and plans to go with me again after general conference. (it all depends on my step father, he's not a member, but we don't force this issue. We just let things flow where they may).

Edited by Chrissy3818

I do understand, I also have had terrible doubt. There were times I didn't even want it to be true. What I have learned is to just grab hold of the iron rod and continue on. The spirit does return, my testimony does not only return but actually strengthens from the trial.

You didn't say how long this has been going on, or if you talked to someone face to face. It's hard not to just answer in generalities unless you are willing to provide some more detail.

Edited by JosephP

I do understand, I also have had terrible doubt. There were times I didn't even want it to be true. What I have learned is to just grab hold of the iron rod and continue on. The spirit does return, my testimony does not only return but actually strengthens from the trial.

You didn't say how long this has been going on, or if you talked to someone face to face. It's hard not to just answer in generalities unless you are willing to provide some more detail.

It's been happening for almost 2 years, but this past 6 months to a year it been slowly decreasing and ever since I moved to a new ward (In July 2012) it hit a rock.

I've talked to my mom, my cousin, one of my friends and I have talked to one of my good aunts. But mostly my cousin and mom.

My mom use to be a member, but has been inactive for around 2 years. (Same with my eldest brother). My mom left because of all the judgment she gets from the church.

And I try to go to church (mostly without her). Which I have been doing for almost a year. She went to church with my last Sunday and plans to go with me again after general conference. (it all depends on my step father, he's not a member, but we don't force this issue. We just let things flow where they may).

Can I answer anything else?

Edited by Chrissy3818

Chrissy, I'm not a Mormon and I am not going to try to talk you out of being a Mormon. But I have a few things I'd like to share:

1. The Word of Wisdom is one good thing about the LDS church. It is practical health advice.

2. Would you consider reading THE CASE FOR CHRIST? It is a book written by a man who was an atheist. He set out to prove and write a book that would clearly show there was no Christ. He did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that not only did Christ exist, He was indeed God, our Lord and Savior.

This may be the beginning of a true relationship with Christ for you. It sounds like you are on a journey to discover God for yourself, instead of relying on the testimonies of others. Read your Bible, pray. Specifically, read through the book of John. It clearly shows who Christ is, why He came to earth, what He did for us. When I read it I find so much peace- just a settled assurance of knowing God's love for me.

Edited by Irishcolleen
add another thought

Chrissy - It's hard sometimes being young, it's even harder when you are looking for truth and not sure where to find it. My advice to you is to continue to go to church. There will always be people who will judge you, inside and outside the church; but please, Heavenly Fathers knows his daughters, He knows you Chrissy and sees how hard you are working. He sees that you are living the Word of Wisdom, and will bless you for it, that's a promise He made and He will not break that promise.

Go to church for you; to develope your relationship with Heavenly Father and the Savior. Don't go or not go because of the people. Talk to Heavenly Father every day. Let Him know how much you love Him and your Savior. Keep doing this and I can promise you that you will one day feel the love that They have for you!

Read your scriptures. The Book of Mormon will help settle your heart and mind. The truth found in those pages will wrap around you and the Holy Ghost will be able to teach you, if you are willing to be taught. That's a promise too!

All of Heavenly Fathers commandments are there to protect us. The world (tv, books, magazines, well-intentioned friends) will try to tell you otherwise, but the Lord's laws serve a purpose and should be seen as uplifting not binding. You have witnessed for yourself how the world will change from one "doctrine" to another, but the Lord is constant.

When you feel comfortable, talk to your Bishop. Let him help you. That's his calling and he is there to look after you because the Lord cannot be here personally.

Don't give up Chrissy, as you mature in life, you will mature in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. You will always have trials and challenges. That's because they help you grow. The Lord needs to know that His people can stand when tested, can get up when knocked down, can follow Him through trying times. You can do it Chrissy! You are a daughter of your Heavenly Father! Be strong. He needs you!

Edited by BrendaM

I went through the same thing at the same age you are now. 4 years later, I've found a lot of answers and have no doubts about what the truth is. I never had a lot of faith for myself while I was growing up, always just borrowing from my parents and later on my then fiance. When She and I broke up, I had nothing to rely on, so I just floated. The Lord was always there for me though, even when I didn't really care or notice. Looking back, I can see huge blessings that he gave me even though I really didn't deserve it. I always attended church, but it was always just so I could hang out with people. Finally, I was talked into going to a special Sunday school class, taught by a man I couldn't stand. (Note- I love science. I am a pre-med major, I always took every science class available, and always scored in the highest percentile in science competitions. I live and breath science and arts. It's who I am.) Well, this teacher was one of those people who actually was a lot like me- he had a ton of questions, and did everything he could to learn every doctrine and science in and about the gospel. After a few weeks in his class, i started wanting to do things for my own. I wanted to learn more. I wanted to go to church, not for social interaction but to genuinely learn.

My advice to you is just stay the course. Do everything you can on your own and trust the Lord. He wants you to know. Knowledge is power; it's God's infinite knowledge and wisdom that give's him his power as deity. He wants each of us to know all that we can know for ourselves, but we must make an effort. Learn to feel the spirit on a personal level, and not just what everyone says you should feel it as.

As you learn this, do everything you can to keep it with you. It will help you and guide you. Take chances- I never would have learned had I not attended Brother Singler's class; likewise, take a chance and talk to your leaders. If you scared to talk to your bishop, keep this in mind: a bishop is the only calling in the ward approved by Salt Lake. Every bishop around the world, every sing one, is approved by the Prophet himself. This doesn't' get delegated to anyone else. His calling comes signed by the prophet. I would hope that changes the way you look at it.

Oh yeah,

About the science behind the WoW

Some (IE almost all) of those studies that contradict the W.O.W. Contain two very vital flaws in the methodology: They contain to control, (though in some cases, a control would be difficult to test) and they don not test for all the variables. Example: Studies show that drinking a little wine every day is good for you. That may be true, but is it the alcoholic content of the wine, or is it the antioxidants that are naturally occurring in grape juice that make the difference?

And before you start trying to dive into deep doctrine, get a solid base of the basics (Articles of Faith) and keep that base strong. I've seen many people lose their testimony because they neglected the basics.

Oh yeah,

About the science behind the WoW

Some (IE almost all) of those studies that contradict the W.O.W. Contain two very vital flaws in the methodology: They contain to control, (though in some cases, a control would be difficult to test) and they don not test for all the variables. Example: Studies show that drinking a little wine every day is good for you. That may be true, but is it the alcoholic content of the wine, or is it the antioxidants that are naturally occurring in grape juice that make the difference?

And before you start trying to dive into deep doctrine, get a solid base of the basics (Articles of Faith) and keep that base strong. I've seen many people lose their testimony because they neglected the basics.

Wow... The last part applies to me I just didn't want to add it. (my mom fell away and questions the wine aspect, she says "Scientists thin it's good because of the antioxidants) I never thought about the alcoholic part. I won't judge her. She'll find her way again, I have faith and pray she will, as I do for myself.

Thanks, I may eventually talk to the bishop. When I feel good and ready or feel strongly prompted to.