Volunteer Abroad

nhopkin

I am looking to take my family to volunteer abroad, but I can't seem to find a good service to go through. There seem to be allot of them, and i am surprised at how much it costs to volunteer abroad. I also wonder how legit many of them are. I also wonder if I even need to go through a volunteer service at all. Maybe we could just volunteer at an organization.

Does anyone here have a recommendation?

We would prefer to go to south America. I served in Peru, and I have take my wife and daughter back there once. We would love to go again and to do some service this time.

What is your profession?

I am a marketing director, also do graphic design and Web Design/development . But I have seen several abroad programs where you don't have to be a specific profesion you can just do things like help out at after school programs and such. It doesn't matter to me what I do. But if my skills can help out then that is fine too.

Well, it sounds like a cool thing to do, especially with kids. I hope I can give mine that type of experience someday. I just did a search for programs that help provide clean water, because it was the first thing I thought of. You may already be looking at this website, but just in case you're not, this looks helpful: Online Advisor: FREE Advice on Meaningful Travels at GoAbroad.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys, I stumbled upon your post while looking for something else. I commend you for looking for a volunteer experience to do with your family! Unfortunately, I don't have an idea that would be well suited for a family, but I work with a non-profit organization called International Language Programs (ILP) that sends college-age volunteers abroad to teach English to young children. There is a Code of Conduct that our volunteers follow that is consistent with LDS Standards, which provides some peace of mind for them, their parents, and the parents of the children whom they teach abroad. ILP has been in operation for over 20 years, and has safely sent over 6000 volunteers abroad. For more information, feel free to look at our website at International Language Programs. Thanks!

I am looking to take my family to volunteer abroad, but I can't seem to find a good service to go through. There seem to be allot of them, and i am surprised at how much it costs to volunteer abroad. I also wonder how legit many of them are. I also wonder if I even need to go through a volunteer service at all. Maybe we could just volunteer at an organization.

Does anyone here have a recommendation?

We would prefer to go to south America. I served in Peru, and I have take my wife and daughter back there once. We would love to go again and to do some service this time.

I know a lot of other churches have programs where they send people to volunteer in other countries. Maybe they would have some good ideas. Or maybe you could join one of their volunteer groups.