Did Adam and Eve have a belly button?

C_T_R

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

*shrug*

Now that's getting a bit personal.

Sure, but no more than the OP. that was kind of my point. Seems to me that if we want to talk about the manner of Adam's creation, there are better ways to open the discussion than to ask impertinent anatomical questions.

No one asks if Adam was an innie or an outie. No one asks if Eve was capable of lactating before the fall. No one wonders whether Adam had to be circumcised and, if so, who did it and when.

Yet we think it perfectly normal to pontificate over whether Adam had a belly button. I don't get it.

/curmudgeonry

The more important question, of course, is whether it was an innie or an outie.

:lol:

Now, if we follow a strict interpretation from Genesis as provided by LM, then no they didn't have a belly button.

However, many members believe we are an evolved primate, and if we are an evolved primate, then we all were born from a womb, even Adam and Eve, they just being the first primate after the image of God.

I know if they have one, I am going to poke it when I see them, just for kicks. Maybe the will giggle too. ;)

The real question concerns creation. And the brunt of the question hits directly in each individual and their relationship to G-d as their Father. One of the very disturbing doctrines that has surfaced in modern religions is the deliberate effort to distance man from G-d associated with our modern religious beliefs associated with our creation. Why would any religious person believe G-d had any less involvement in their creation than he did in our first parents, Adam and Eve? Yet it is believed that G-d created Adam and Eve by divine powers that were different and not at all associated with the dirty and decedent means involving (original) sin that result in human life currently.

I do not believe that G-d creates any human differently than the methods he always has and always will employ. If there is any scripture that indicates G-d changes his manner of creation - I would be very interested in such scripture and why and how someone came to interpret and believe what looks to me to be a most palpably absurd idea.

The Traveler

• 3 months later...

Everyone prior to Joseph in the bible is an allegory not meant to be taken literally. This can be seen in the very names Adam and Eve, אָדָם חַוָּה which can be taken as reason, and feeling. When feeling overrides reason, reason loses its place in Eden, גַּן עֵדֶן or unity with God. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Galatians chapter 4: 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

God created the first man and woman, which is a known fact from the Biblical history. Known: that the genetic make up of humankind is a consistent factor with all human species. Known: God can doing anything even create man out of the dust of the earth. Known: God’s ways are higher than our ways [knowledge]. Known: all of Adam's children inherited the genetic ability to have belly buttons. That genetic ability could not be without first it having been found in the parents of that off-spring. Known: You have a so-called belly button. Known: Yes, they had belly buttons LOL:idea:

Everyone prior to Joseph in the bible is an allegory not meant to be taken literally. This can be seen in the very names Adam and Eve, אָדָם חַוָּה which can be taken as reason, and feeling. When feeling overrides reason, reason loses its place in Eden, גַּן עֵדֶן or unity with God. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Galatians chapter 4: 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

I differ in my personal belief, however whether or not they were purely allegorical or not, god rarely does anything that (if at all) that has not some symbolism or further learning that can be obtained from such, so I aggree there is definitely allegory within the account. I'll also wager that adam and eve existed and that the events happpened but most likely not in a way that most think exactly how it happened, and also more likely that there was much more than what is said in the scripture.

So you're saying, no - they didn't have belly buttons!

Well that takes care of the next question - we're they innys or outys!