Jeffrey R. Holland - Sunday am session

The apostles time with Christ was but for a short 3 years. They could not comprehend that He would not always be with them.

Then the unbelievable happened – Christ was crucified.

Christ did appear to them after His resurrection. They still wondered what would happen to the church.

Some went back to their previous lives.

While fishing and catching nothing, Christ called out to them to cast their nets on the right side.

Christ called the Apostles back into his service to do His work.

The Savior to Peter: Do you love me more than you love all this? Peter said: Ye Lord, thou knowest I love thee. This went on three times.

Jesus responded: (Elder Holland takes some liberty with this) Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets having this same conversation? Wasn’t it obvious then as it is now that if I want fish I can get fish. What I need Peter, are disciples and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and to defend my faith. I need some who loves me, truly loves me and loves what my Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. I am asking you to leave all of this and to go and to preach and testify.

Will we be asked by Jesus Christ on judgment day, “Did you love me?”

The call is to come, to stay true, to love God and to lend a hand.

Fix faithfulness.

Missionaries who have baptized others, that was to change that person forever, but it was to also change you forever as well.

We will never look back until this work is finished.

Guest Doctrine

yes exactly we need a testamony then a conversion to strengthen that testamony

and the only thing i found interesting was that holland said jesus was on shore in both events, but that could have been a typeo because jesus was with them in the boat in the 1st event but not the 2nd event, I always read it as if jesus was there to show them what to do then after he would be gone and they would have to do it on there own with the spirit to guide them in there mission after he has risen.

I loved this talk it took me on a scriptual journey with many mental pictures, the words were very powerful and true.

Edited by Doctrine

yes exactly we need a testamony then a conversion to strengthen that testamony

and the only thing i found interesting was that holland said jesus was on shore in both events, but that could have been a typeo because jesus was with them in the boat in the 1st event but not the 2nd event, I always read it as if jesus was there to show them what to do then after he would be gone and they would have to do it on there own with the spirit to guide them in there mission after he has risen.

I loved this talk it took me on a scriptual journey with many mental pictures, the words were very powerful and true.

We'll see any corrections to this story when it comes out in the Ensign. But I typed what he said as he said it. And remember, he said he was taking some liberties with the story.

Edited by pam

Guest Doctrine

We'll see any corrections to this story when it comes out in the Ensign. But I typed what he said as he said it. And remember, he said he was taking some liberties with the story.

I know he said taking liberties, thats why I said typo, I love hollands talks they are always full of energy and a good story.

Hidden

I wonder if you're getting some scriptures mixed up -- a common enough occurrence.

Mark 1:16-17

Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.

John 21:4-11

But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus. Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher’s coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea. And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes. As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught. Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.

This IS the talk from conference that hit me right in the heart and the soul. I don't even have the words yet to talk about it impact. This one might just have to stay between me and Father.

I know exactly what you mean. I cried through his whole talk -- he has always had a way of piercing my soul.

I attended Womens Conference one year when he spoke and I wasn't the only one crying and hearing his heartfelt message. And when he ended with a Apostolic blessing, I felt it so deeply -- I can't even express in words how it made me feel.:)

I wonder if you're getting some scriptures mixed up -- a common enough occurrence. In both cases, Jesus was on the shore, calling to them:

Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.

But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus. Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher’s coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea. And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes. As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught. Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.

Guest Doctrine

I wonder if you're getting some scriptures mixed up -- a common enough occurrence. In both cases, Jesus was on the shore, calling to them:

I thought the same thing at first, but on further reading the story was about the two times they went fishing and the nets broke and did not break.

5 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,

2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.

3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.

4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.

5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.

6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Please dont get me wrong i am not trying to say holland is not a prophet or apostle. my family like to hear words being spoken to make sure they are 100% accurite ( sorry about spelling, not 100% accurite) and when we dont we find out what is true.

a good story, our stake prez gave a talk about samson and that delila cut samsons hair, and after the meeting i told him that there was a mistake that delila did not cut samsons hair but that it was a servent of delila who cut the hair, and he was very happy to hear me tell him that, because he was going to give that talk again in the next meeting and did not want to make it again.

I thought the same thing at first, but on further reading the story was about the two times they went fishing and the nets broke and did not break.

5 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret,

2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.

3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.

4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.

5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.

6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

I don't see your point. I already proved to you that Elder Holland's teachings were not only in context, but correct. The fact that you found a Lucan account that provides yet another anecdote of fishes does not invalidate Elder Holland's words.

Please dont get me wrong i am not trying to say holland is not a prophet or apostle. my family like to hear words being spoken to make sure they are 100% accurite ( sorry about spelling, not 100% accurite) and when we dont we find out what is true.

Then, as I have already shown, it's a good thing Elder Holland was indeed 100% accurate in what he said.

Guest Doctrine

Then, as I have already shown, it's a good thing Elder Holland was indeed 100% accurate in what he said.

Agree!

holland talk 5:30-6:15 minutes in is what I heard.

I looked up the written talk and they refer to Luke 5:5-6.

the scripture says. But a fellow Galilean on the shore had called out to them to let down their nets, and they drew “a great multitude of fishes,”7 enough that their nets broke, the catch filling two boats so heavily they had begun to sink.

Its not a doctrinal error but a good thing to be able remember what really happened in the story.

Jesus was in the boat the first time and on the shore the second time.

Edited by Doctrine
To give more information on subject