How to tell them?

kristina12

I didn't.

Literally.

I just did it. :D

The reason being that I come from a VERY scientific family. (That in no way believes that religion and science are at odds... One answers why, the other how... 2 totally different questions). The science part is that we TALK. Debate. Theorize. Poke fun. Argue. Experiment.

Until a thing is 'done' its up for debate.

My religion isn't up for debate.

Of course... Now I'm an experiment in their eyes (Will she like it/ hate it/ change/ go all religious freak/ insert 2,000 more variables). Which is fine with me. I'm used to my family's politicking and way of looking at things.

I should add... I converted at 33. So there was never any question about needing my family's approval. That would have meant a very different course of action!!!

When it did come up, it was more in an "Oh! Nope, we've got a church thing that night." Kind of way.

((I'm VERY close with my family of origin. The fait accompli told them, simply, what "stage" we were in. Meaning: Not up for debate. ))

I'm sure the 'best' way to handle family varies fairly widely depending on your own family politics.

I know the lds is the one, but just another question (I have so many lol) if you are to be baptized, but dont have any friends/families to be there (or dont want to) how is the service done then?

I'm the only member in my family, and I thought no one would be at my baptism either. I even asked if it could just be a quick 5-minute procedure so I wouldn't be so embarassed for being "alone". Turns out it was a standing room only situation -- Saints showed up from all over with flowers, food, hugs...it was awesome. There won't be crickets chirping at your baptism either, so no need to worry about scaling things down. :)

Becoming LDS just sort of 'happened' - it seemed like a natural step in my life at the time.

I am the only member in my family, but am blessed to have a close friend who is an active member (who introduced me to the Church).

I am not really sure what my family believes, and religion never really comes up much in our conversations. Though occasionally they will ask questions, like why I can't drink with them now when I might of had a glass of bubbly a few years ago, or what is so special about the Temple.

Back at the beginning my parents were convinced I was being taken advantage of, brainwashed even! but by staying calm and answering questions they had (as they wanted to ask them) they quickly realised that I was still the same daughter I had always been, only with a more positive attitude and happier! They have now reached a point where as long as I am happy being LDS they will support me all the way.

I know there maybe some challenges ahead, like not having any family at a Temple marriage, however I will faces those when they arrive and know that Heavenly Father will provide a way for them to all be apart of special LDS occasions.

I know the lds is the one, but just another question (I have so many lol) if you are to be baptized, but dont have any friends/families to be there (or dont want to) how is the service done then?

My Baptism was attended by very few people (about 6 including me!)and I was very happy with that (as I hate being the centre of attention! lol) it did not make it any less special or uplifting! and there were so many miracles that led to the day including me overcoming my fear or water (though I wouldn't/couldn't submerge under water now!)

Other members from your Branch/Ward would be happy to support you at Baptism and can make the day special for you in a way that makes you comfortable. I have seen Baptisms of people with no friends/family in the Church that have ranged from my small gathering to a packed Sacrament Hall! it really depends on the individual and what they want/can cope with :)