Getting Stitches and going to the temple question!!!!!!

JustSimplyMe

Hi everyone. I just came home from the dermatologist. I am supposed to go back next Wednesday to get a procedure done to remove this flat mole on my back and they said I will be getting stitches (and I may ask to get this raised mole on my arm off since it is ugly- they told me to think if I would rather have it or a scar on my arm- I rather have a scar). Then, next Friday I am planning to go on the youth baptismal trip. Should I go or not do the baptisms. I never had stitches so I was just wondering.

Ask your doctor if it's okay to be in water. You could even call his nurse/assistant today and find out. I used to work as a dermatologist's assistant and back then I probably would have told you not to be submersed in water until your stitches are out. :( But it's been several years and maybe that's changed.

No you won't be able to do baptisms until AFTER the stitches are out... and then after the holes where the sutures were are healed. This is a medical issue. You can't get stitches wet. And if you have any open area on your skin you could introduce bacteria into it and cause an infection, even though the baptismal fonts are chlorinated. Just not a good idea.

Ask your doctor if it's okay to be in water. You could even call his nurse/assistant today and find out. I used to work as a dermatologist's assistant and back then I probably would have told you not to be submersed in water until your stitches are out. :( But it's been several years and maybe that's changed.

Hasn't changed

Thanks. I'll ask my doctor this Wednesday and I may ask to get this ugly mole off my arm too and that should have a scar also. I guess this Wednesday I'll tell my leaders that there is a possibility of me not attending the baptisms for the dead (my grandfather told me if I can't do baptisms than I'm not going) and then next Wednesday when I know for sure than I'll tell them I won't be attending. The youth in my ward hasn't been to the temple for over a year. But, oh well.

Well sometimes at the temple they say if you have your period even if it is a tampon you may not be able to do it. You talk to the temple workers and they can say yay or nay on if you can do baptisms with a tampon. I was just wondering because I would be submerged under water and don't want my stitches to be messed up.

Well sometimes at the temple they say if you have your period even if it is a tampon you may not be able to do it. You talk to the temple workers and they can say yay or nay on if you can do baptisms with a tampon. I was just wondering because I would be submerged under water and don't want my stitches to be messed up.

There is no rational reason to disallow women from doing baptism when using a tampon. Temple workers who so are in need of some education.

As for being in the water, this is why we are recommending you talk with your doctor. But keep in mind that people shower and bathe with stitches all the time. The five minutes you are in the font probably aren't much worse than the fifteen minutes people spend in the shower.

Also, when I was 18, I had two very large moles removed from my back. By the time I had the bandages permanently removed, I was back to unrestricted activity (about three days).

But please, satisfy our curiosity and let us know what your doctor says.

I will:) I'll ask next Wednesday when I go if I am allowed to submerge myself in water on Friday (I won't say I'm doing baptisms for the dead because the doctor or physician assistant may look at me like I'm a nut). And this was a while back when I went to the temple and they gave us papers to read over so we knew the rules. However, they don't give us the directions anymore. You just have to make sure you changed your tampon and won't leak.

The five minutes you are in the font probably aren't much worse than the fifteen minutes people spend in the shower.

Doing baptisms at the Temple, they are in the water longer than 5 minutes, and it not only is the prospect of her getting an infection, it is also the prospect of her spreading germs.

When the youth went to the Temple last month, the paper they received that gave the restrictions, stated that if a young woman was on her period, then she would NOT be doing baptisms, regardless of what form of sanitary protection she was using. NO getting IMMERSED. She could, however do proxy confirmations.

It also stated that if any one had unhealed wounds they would not be allowed to do baptisms.

Another thing it stated was that no garish fingernail polish was allowed. Please remove it prior to coming to the Temple. And it stated that clear, soft shades and/or pastels of pink, mauve & orange were okay.

That the young women should forgo the wearing of makeup, and the use of hair gels & hair sprays until after the baptisms were done, as it will possibly smear, wash off and could get in their eyes and hurt.

Wish I had kept the email from the Temple- so that I could copy & paste it here to all of you.

Doing baptisms at the Temple, they are in the water longer than 5 minutes, and it not only is the prospect of her getting an infection, it is also the prospect of her spreading germs.

When the youth went to the Temple last month, the paper they received that gave the restrictions, stated that if a young woman was on her period, then she would NOT be doing baptisms, regardless of what form of sanitary protection she was using. NO getting IMMERSED. She could, however do proxy confirmations.

It looks like your temple is in need of some education.

Swimming During The Menstrual Period | LIVESTRONG.COM

There is absolutely no reason a girl on her period should be discouraged from performing baptisms when she is wearing a tampon. When was the last time you went to a public pool and saw a sign stating the menstruating women were not allowed to enter?

By Common Consent did a survey of temples around the world to see how many temples had a policy against baptisms during menstruation. I wish I had saved a copy of the spreadsheet, but I recall that the temples were wildly inconsistent. Some temples said, "no restrictions," some said, "with a tampon," and some said, "no baptisms." You could talk to two temples in districts right next to each other and they would give different answers. I'm perfectly comfortable saying that your temple's policy is a matter of ignorance and not a matter of public safety.

It also stated that if any one had unhealed wounds they would not be allowed to do baptisms.

This is also absurd. A properly closed and/or coagulated wound is at pretty low risk for opening in water.

There is absolutely no reason a girl on her period should be discouraged from performing baptisms when she is wearing a tampon.

Most virginal girls, and many adult women, do not wear tampons. Putting on a clean pad is sufficient in most cases.

But, Vort, MOE isn't talking about women who use pads--he's talking about women who use tampons should be fine getting in water.

And where are you getting your info about virginal YW not wearing tampons? By using the word "virginal" it implies (to me) that you or the YW think that there is something against being a virgin and wearing a tampon. I'm just confused by this statement.

But, Vort, MOE isn't talking about women who use pads--he's talking about women who use tampons should be fine getting in water.

Vort actually brings up a good point that I omitted. There's nothing wrong with wearing a pad in the font, though I've never given it much thought since a few (admittedly anecdotal) experiences I've read about report that the pad swells up uncomfortably during the baptisms. But in the interest of completeness, Vort is right to mention that pads are a viable option as well.

And where are you getting your info about virginal YW not wearing tampons? By using the word "virginal" it implies (to me) that you or the YW think that there is something against being a virgin and wearing a tampon. I'm just confused by this statement.

I don't have any hard evidence, but my impression is that pads are more common among the younger set of young women (11 - 14) and tampon use increases with age (14+).

Also, there are some religious interpretations that feel that using a tampon is sinful. (anecdote, not data: Why Is Using Tampons A Sin? - Yahoo! Answers). I also knew a sister in college who had once been denied a temple recommend by her bishop in high school because she used tampons and not pads. It may seem odd to some of us, but there are people in the world that use the interpretation.

And where are you getting your info about virginal YW not wearing tampons?

From wife, sisters, and close female acquaintances, all of whom happen to be women.

By using the word "virginal" it implies (to me) that you or the YW think that there is something against being a virgin and wearing a tampon.

?

"Virginal" carries no such implication, as far as I know. I understand it to mean "of the quality of a virgin".

I think I understand. beefche thought I was contradicting or correcting MoE. I was not, and perhaps should have made that clearer. I was simply adding onto what he was saying with what I had been told, seeing as how I don't really have too much first-hand experience with using feminine hygiene products.