Bullied by Seminary teacher

Sunshine40

• 2 weeks later...

Do not mistake me. There was no gentle guiding or putting a hand up or arm out to imply '"stop there" that my son could run into. ..What the teacher physically did was use his WHOLE body to pin my son to the wall. ...Not hands and arms..BODY. My son said, "you're pushing me now?" and then the teacher's force was more aggressive...until the scuffle brought a marine recuit out of the classroom to pull the teacher off.

The teacher went back into the class and my son and the other senior walked around the parking lot for several minutes.

After he returned the teacher apoligized. His apology was to the whole class. I never said he was a child molester. He is not. I never said he beat his wife. He does not.(at least I am pretty sure he does not) I do know , however that he has been extremely emotionally abusive to his wife from the mouth of his wife. And I would never have him arrested or sued over a minor thing. That was just momma bear coming out and venting...And I had to cool off my husband, (law enforcement guy) who went and sat in the class the next day.

To the OP, As someone who has been abused (from a teacher, ironically), I've got to say this, people (in general) do not like the world to know of their problems. That is one of the reasons why women will take a beating from their husband and not tell anyone. Another thing is, you said he emotionally abuses his wife. Well, often women who have been abused (in any way) feel that they somehow deserve what happened. So I'm willing to bet that you telling the stake presidency or bishopric may not only save your son and other children, but his wife as well.

As I've read through this thread something jumped out at me. The church has stressed the importance of two-deep leadership in organizations from Primary to Young Women and Young Men. Why hasn't this been implemented in Seminary? Just wondering

Anyway, getting back to your situation, speak with your Stake President or Bishop. If they try to sweep it under the rug, threaten to take it to the police. Or, if you feel inclined, skip the church leaders and go straight to the police. Think back to the horrible stories of young men being molested by Scout leaders and how some of those events were swept under the rug. Don't let this happen. You are the greatest advocate for your son.

Just an FYI, my son (now 16) was being bullied by another young man in our ward several years ago. I finally got fed up with it. Despite caution from ward members to not ruffle feathers, my attitude was, I don't care who I offend. It's my son and I'm protecting him. I called the boy's parents and met with them and their son and laid out the accusations. The boy has not laid a hand on my son since and my son tells me the boy doesn't like me. Quite frankly I don't care. I did what I had to do to protect my son because if I didn't, he said, among other things, that he wasn't going to go back to church.

Edited by Sicnarf

How is it that this person received this calling!

How can someone so non-Christlike teach gospel principles to youth who are suppose to be developing their own testimonies?

This is appalling and very sad. I teach Gospel Doctrine to 14 and 15 year olds and I love the challenges they bring to class. Of course there has to be order in the classroom but what you said about your son and this teacher is just a butting of heads. Your son obviously pushes that teachers buttons. However, the teacher is the adult and has been given a very (IMO) sacred calling and should find a better way to handle your son's behavior rather than flying off the handle in front of a whole group of youth. Has he ever talked to you and your husband with regards to his problem with your son? Why? That would be the first thing I would do.

My son was very smart and could be a real handful for his teachers at school and when there was a problem, my husband and I and sometimes my son were called into meet with the teacher to try and come up with a solution to the problem. My son enjoyed challenging the intelligence of his teachers but he could also be calmed down when he got out of hand.

Anyway.....it's sad to see this happening. I agree with those who have said talk to the Bishop or Stake President or whoever is in charge of Seminary. Seminary does not need this kind of leadership! And do this ASAP. That way it's brought before the proper authority and hopefully they will be able to find out if there is anything more serious going on in this teacher's life.

Anyway, getting back to your situation, speak with your Stake President or Bishop. If they try to sweep it under the rug, threaten to take it to the police. Or, if you feel inclined, skip the church leaders and go straight to the police. Think back to the horrible stories of young men being molested by Scout leaders and how some of those events were swept under the rug. Don't let this happen. You are the greatest advocate for your son.

The best way to handle it is right there^^^

• 3 years later...
On 10/24/2012 at 6:42 PM, Carl62 said:

he might get the help he needs by being required to take anger management classes. This guy sounds like he definitely needs it.

I'm just going to throw this out there. I could be wrong. But maybe he was just having a bad day. Dealing with a bunch of loud and disruptive high school kids is stressful. My seminary teacher gets frustrated sometimes and has to literally YELL at the kids or no one listens. He rarely yells, so it scares the kids into listening. And yeah, he smacks the kids on the back of the head if they are being really disruptive to the point where no one can hear what he is saying. But it isn't abusive. He doesn't do it to hurt them, he does it to get their attention. And it's not usually that hard of a smack anyway. So maybe it was just a one time thing. Maybe it wasn't. I don't know. But that's just my thought. I could be way off. 

2 hours ago, Lilyflowers88 said:

I'm just going to throw this out there. I could be wrong. But maybe he was just having a bad day. Dealing with a bunch of loud and disruptive high school kids is stressful. My seminary teacher gets frustrated sometimes and has to literally YELL at the kids or no one listens. He rarely yells, so it scares the kids into listening. And yeah, he smacks the kids on the back of the head if they are being really disruptive to the point where no one can hear what he is saying. But it isn't abusive. He doesn't do it to hurt them, he does it to get their attention. And it's not usually that hard of a smack anyway. So maybe it was just a one time thing. Maybe it wasn't. I don't know. But that's just my thought. I could be way off. 

Yeah your way off. The students don't respect him that is his fault and no amount of smacking on the head is acceptable ever.

On 11/8/2012 at 4:56 AM, candyprpl said:

How is it that this person received this calling!

How can someone so non-Christlike teach gospel principles to youth who are suppose to be developing their own testimonies?

How did they get the calling? The bishop prayed about it and felt inspired to call him......that's how it work right? 

9 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Yeah your way off. The students don't respect him that is his fault and no amount of smacking on the head is acceptable ever.

I didn't mean like in an abusive way. Just like a Playful "Hey,pay attention" Smack. And they do respect him. It's just that some kids just see seminary as a free period to socialize. So yeah, teachers get frustrated.