Ex-Communicated Twice...Any Hope?

TruStarWarsGeek

I was excommunicated from the church shortly after I was first baptized on my 18th birthday. I initially joined the church because of a girl (of course) and the desire to get in her parents good grace. Unfortunately, neither myself, nor her, were prepared to live in accordance with church teachings. This in turn led to my first ex-communication.

I was re-baptized after marrying the above mentioned girl when I was 23 while stationed in Germany. My second baptism was for much different reasons. I went through the discussions, lived gospel principles, and developed genuine love for the church and it's mission. However, in true "me" fashion, my attention was continually diverted to places I had no business going. I was ex-communicated for the second time at the age of 32 for serious transgressions.

So, here I am ten years later. I'm divorced, mostly estranged from my children and completely from my ex-wife. My son is about to turn 18 in January and he's hoping to leave in March for the MTC. This has had a deep impact on me (that is, his commitment to serve a mission). Because of this and other reasons, I'm compelled to rejoin the church. However, I have heard more times than I can count that the church has a two strike policy. Does anyone know if this is true? I hope someone knows definitively and can help me find the answer. I was a priesthood holder, yet never held a temple recommend.

hmmm I never heard of a two strike rule. Or any maximum at all. It certainly would not hurt to check it out with the local bishop or missionaries.

We have our entire lives for a reason and its not to sit around to die after making serious mistakes. Its to learn and progress. Sometimes it just takes awhile to get it straight.

Wishing you well in your journey. :)

Guest LiterateParakeet

Considering that the Lord said we should forgive 70 X 7, I don't believe there is a two strike policy.

Heavenly Father loves you and He wants you back, call your Bishop. :)

Edited by LiterateParakeet
typo

Never heard of a 2 strike limit, while I am sure they may take a long look at you before letting you be rebapitised, I see no reason why, if you have truly repented and are willing to live Gospel Principles that you should not be.

My warning would be to please make sure you're ready, but yes, start attending Church, talk to the Bishop.

I hope that you take the time to talk with your Bishop or Stake President and find out for sure what the Church policy is concerning this issue. I feel that there is not such a rule but this is a blog on the web not for offcial Church policy. I to have been excommunicated once for serious sins. I spent seven years outside the Church before I was re-baptized. In the begining I did go to Church for about a year then I stopped. For the next few years I lived foot lose and free of any rules. I stayed that way until 2 years before I re-joined or rather I should say before I was re-baptized. I asked to be re-baptized and the Church said no I need to be active for a longer period of time. So I was we re-submitted the paperwork and 2 years later I received the answer and I was re-baptized. 2 years after that I received restoration of blessings. I hope you go to your Bishop and start the process of understanding what you need to do to once again be re-baptized which I feel will require more than the first time, that if you are re-baptized that you will stay strong receive your temple recommend and go to the Temple with as many of your children that can join you. I hope that you will then stay strong, keep and build a strong testimony and stay on the pathway of rightousness holding steadfastly onto the iron rod doing all you can to be humble and serve your Father in Heaven with the help of his only begotten son Jesus Christ. Good Luck and I pray you will find the peace, comfort, joy and love of your Father in Heaven and his only begotten son Jesus Christ.

Edited by jewrsw

I was excommunicated from the church shortly after I was first baptized on my 18th birthday. I initially joined the church because of a girl (of course) and the desire to get in her parents good grace. Unfortunately, neither myself, nor her, were prepared to live in accordance with church teachings. This in turn led to my first ex-communication.

I was re-baptized after marrying the above mentioned girl when I was 23 while stationed in Germany. My second baptism was for much different reasons. I went through the discussions, lived gospel principles, and developed genuine love for the church and it's mission. However, in true "me" fashion, my attention was continually diverted to places I had no business going. I was ex-communicated for the second time at the age of 32 for serious transgressions.

So, here I am ten years later. I'm divorced, mostly estranged from my children and completely from my ex-wife. My son is about to turn 18 in January and he's hoping to leave in March for the MTC. This has had a deep impact on me (that is, his commitment to serve a mission). Because of this and other reasons, I'm compelled to rejoin the church. However, I have heard more times than I can count that the church has a two strike policy. Does anyone know if this is true? I hope someone knows definitively and can help me find the answer. I was a priesthood holder, yet never held a temple recommend.

I am supposing that your belief ultimately stems from D&C 42:24-26, which reads:

Thou shalt not commit adultery; and he that committeth adultery, and repenteth not, shall be cast out. But he that has committed adultery and repents with all his heart, and forsaketh it, and doeth it no more, thou shalt forgive; but if he doeth it again, he shall not be forgiven, but shall be cast out.

We may interpret this however we choose. However, in the end, our interpretation is unimportant. The only relevant interpretation is how God interprets it, and that is best found out through his called and anointed servants.

Bottom line: Go talk to your bishop and stake president. My best guess is that you can be rebaptized and will be welcomed with open arms.

I haven't read all the posts but I've never heard of anything like that. Michael Wilcox (I think) wrote a book about God's infinite Atonement. He gave a talk on this subject at a Women's Conference a few years ago. I would definitely talk to the missionaries or a Bishop if you are ready to partake of God's infinite atonement.

YES, You can be returned to full membership. The process involves a more active part by the First Presidancy than just writing a letter. This is what I was told many years ago, so there could have been some change.

Whatever the administrative requirements, who cares? If you are repentant and desireous to return, do so. They'll explain the administrative requirements as you go. What difference can it make if you are truly repentant?

I believe in a loving and forgiving Heavenly Father. I believe He wants all his children to be able to come home to Him.

We are on this Earth to learn and grow, equally I believe that means to repent of wrong doings and move forward spiritually and closer to Heavenly Father.

I agree with what others have said seek out the Bishop and ask, I am sure they will be willing to help.

You are in my prayers.

Throughout my years in the church I have heard many people preach about this 2 strike policy. I've also heard them quote the same scripture that Vort mentioned in his post.

However, I think back to the numerous talks we've heard in the last 3-4 years given by General Authorities during General Conference.

Most have said: No matter the sin, no matter the transgression, no matter how long it has been, it's not too late. We invite you to come back within the fold and repent and bring yourselves within the arms of our Heavenly Father.

I cannot find any specific reference to this two-strike idea in the church handbooks.

I was also excommunicated in my young-adult years. When I was ready to be readmitted through baptism I was warned by my Leaders to be sure not to repeat my transgressions because there would be little or no hope of yet another Church forgiveness and re-admittance.

What this means (if anything) I do not want to discover; but in your situation, you will need to discover the answer on your own with a serious interview with your bishop or Stake President (it may be worth your while to visit with the person/position who presided at your Disciplinary Council).

The only thing I've heard in this regard is that each time you are excommunicated it is harder and harder to regain your standing in the church. I know of a man who was excommunicated twice and is now an active member. He has been active for about 25 years now. Good luck, and this time promise yourself and The Lord you will never go down that path again, then keep the promise. Nothing the adversary can entice you with is worth your eternal salvation.