Hi there

MattS

My name is Matt and I was baptised in 1999 and am from Australia.

I am currently inactive and have been since 2004. For the last 3 years I have been attending a different church (The Salvation Army) and currently work for the organisation as well. Yes, The Salvation Army is a Christian church, but it is their Christian "work" that they are known for.

Last night I felt the spirit come upon me, and I purchased the Kindle edition of the Bible, Book of Mormon, D&C and PoGP. I have started reading it.

I feel I was being prompted to go back to church, but have reservations about going back. My current brand of faith and spirituality is to go into dark and immoral places in order to bring hope to the Lord's lost sheep. I am happy to eat with the sinners of this world... the drug users, the prostitutes, the homeless and anyone else who has a desire and willingness to invite Jesus into their lives so that He can transform them.

I am unsure if the LDS church is where it is at for me these days, mainly because I know I will be told not to seek out these people, these sinners, the unrighteous.

I'm in His Hands.:

Edited by MattS

Hi Matt,

Bathurst is a great place to live except there are few LDS there. Have you had a chance to visit Utah? It is amazing to us Aussies to experience being in an LDS community where you are one of the crowd and not the one in a million. We are influenced by the company we keep. Try to visit where there are more members... Sydney or Brisbane would be a good start. :)

My current brand of faith and spirituality is to go into dark and immoral places in order to bring hope to the Lord's lost sheep. I am happy to eat with the sinners of this world... the drug users, the prostitutes, the homeless and anyone else who has a desire and willingness to invite Jesus into their lives so that He can transform them.

I am unsure if the LDS church is where it is at for me these days, mainly because I know I will be told not to seek out these people, these sinners, the unrighteous.

You will? By whom?

Here's a short list of the people my wife and I have worked with and around - sometimes as part of a church activity, although usually not:

* Folks coming to a soup kitchen

* Homeless folk

* An alcoholic suicidal lesbian baptist

* A guy slowly destroying himself with his meth addiction

* A lady and her daughter who had escaped an abusive environment and were hiding out in our state

No Mormon I've talked to has tried to discourage me or my wife from trying to help these folks... I mean, it's not like your work with these people will be church-sanctioned activities or anything, but then why would they have to be?

We're all sinners and unrighteous. Someone wants to hear about the salvation offered by the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, which will help them lift themselves out of their hole? Why on earth would someone tell you to stay away from such a person?

Hi Matt,

Bathurst is a great place to live except there are few LDS there. Have you had a chance to visit Utah? It is amazing to us Aussies to experience being in an LDS community where you are one of the crowd and not the one in a million. We are influenced by the company we keep. Try to visit where there are more members... Sydney or Brisbane would be a good start. :)

I live and work smack bang in the CBD of Sydney and also work 100 metres away from an LDS Chapel, which is in a high rise office block.

Welcome to the site. I can understand your desire to work with a specific population, especially the poorest most troubled people. For myself, I have found that I allow the Spirit to lead me where He will and to help those God places in my path.

Perhaps if you surrender to God which vineyard you will be called to work in, some of you apprehensions will be relieved.