My husband drank a cup of coffee..now what?

specka

JMO....doesn't really rise to the level of seeing the Bishop.

I have to disagree. Keeping the WoW is one of the questions in the temple recommend interview. Therefore, if someone is drinking a cup of coffee to see if it tastes good or for just the heck of it. Yes, see the Bishop.

If your doctor prescribed coffee (there are medicinal uses for coffee) then there is not need to see the Bishop.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I talked to my husband like I said before, and apologized. I told him that I wanted him to make the decision for himself and I was sorry to push it on him and make an issue out of it. It should be his decision. Well a couple of days later on both of our day of from work, he started getting ready to go somewhere. Turns out he was going to go see the bishop about the coffee situation. Again I explained that if he didn't want to go, he shouldn't. He explained that it wasn't a big deal. So I dropped it. In case you might be wondering, the bishop pretty much shrugged it off and they talked about some other things going on with work, and life in general.

Everything's good. We had a looong discussion about trusting each other to make the right decision and all those other sorts of things. So needless to say it's an issue that I can confidently say is not really an issue at all.

Thanks for the honest advice. Some people seemed to kind of get a little jumpy on here about me jumping on his back. I don't want to link the quote cause I'm lazy but someone called me a pharisee? Okay honesty was what I was looking for, but really, that was rude and not helpful at all. But really 98% of you were really helpful in helping me see how I could be blowing it out of proportion. I appreciate the ability to see from my perspective as to why it might at first seem like a "big deal" to me and calmly explain that indeed, it was not.

Edited by specka

I have not read all the replies. However, if he were in the middle of a meeting and there was no other ready access to caffeine and he needed to be alert to do his job, then it's really no big deal.

We all fail at all sorts of things. As long as this does not become a habit then don't worry. If this is something that he thinks he can work out between himself and God on his own, then let him do that.

Glad things worked out well, I just saw that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Better yet, the next time he feels the need to stay awake, grab a Red Bull, which has about the same amount of caffeine and isn't against the WoW. :) (OK, Mormons, drink up — Coke and Pepsi are OK | The Salt Lake Tribune)

In all seriousness, having worked closely with a number of bishops, this is nowhere near the level of needing to confess to yours. Bishops are incredibly busy people and while a number of sins need to be dealt with through them (primarily sex related sins), we need to remember that our salvation is something to be worked out between ourselves and the Lord, not ourselves, the Lord, and our bishop.

• 1 month later...
Guest DeborahC

I have a Temple Recommend and I occasionally drink a cup of coffee.

In my case it is sometimes the ONLY thing that will head off a migraine after an exposure to a perfume or other fragrance. My doctor hasn't given me a prescription but he has told me that a half cup of strong coffee is not as harmful to me as 3 ibuprofen. So probably about once a month it's a medicine I use. I don't enjoy it, and associate it with pain rather than pleasure.

Anyway, I don't feel the need to visit the Bishop about this. God knows my heart. I'm comfortable with that.

Cut your hubbie some slack. You are his wife, not his mum

What is Red Bull? Is this something I should try?

I have a Temple Recommend and I occasionally drink a cup of coffee.

In my case it is sometimes the ONLY thing that will head off a migraine after an exposure to a perfume or other fragrance. My doctor hasn't given me a prescription but he has told me that a half cup of strong coffee is not as harmful to me as 3 ibuprofen. So probably about once a month it's a medicine I use. I don't enjoy it, and associate it with pain rather than pleasure.

Anyway, I don't feel the need to visit the Bishop about this. God knows my heart. I'm comfortable with that.

Cut your hubbie some slack. You are his wife, not his mum

What is Red Bull? Is this something I should try?

Red Bull is an energy drink.

Guest gopecon

I'm in the camp of "if it's in the Temple recommend interview", them we should not treat this too lightly. Does the bishop need to know about every WofW violation in the congregation? No, but could someone who had a coffee the day before answer that he keeps the WofW in an interview? I don't know what amount of time needs to pass to be in the clear, but we shouldn't minimize it too much. I believe that converts have to be free of WofW issues for a couple of weeks prior to baptism. I doubt that many bishops would make more of a deal out of it than the OP's bishop.

Here's my two cents, which may be all the advice is worth. :)

The Bishop only needs to be involved in the repentance process when the against the Law of Chastity, the Law of the Land, or against the church. Word of Wisdom issues and questions of faith can be addressed as needed but are only required to be discussed during a recommend interview.

That said, and particularly since this brother is new to the church, there is a lot to be said about visiting with the Bishop on some of the smaller things as a part of becoming familiar with the process and relationship. Yes the Bishop is very busy and we should value his time, but there can also be a tendency to place him in a role as the dispenser of the Wrath of God. I think it's good to have visits on small matters so you're not afraid of turning to him for weightier issues.

Guest ghostwind

specka: Hello all, I am new here and have lurked around for a while. I did introduce myself back in the introductions forum. Anyway I'll get straight to my little dilemma: my husband is a convert (who has made some transgression in his past but has repented--so yes, we are sealed) I am one of those born and bred members who sometimes lack a certain perspective in sticky situations (I hope that made sense). We are pretty active in the church. My husband recently left for a business trip for a few weeks. Apparently it was incredibly boring and fearing he would fall asleep in front of his peers and supervisors drank "a couple cups of coffee." He didn't tell me this until a few days after he got home as he felt it wasn't a big deal. In fact he only told me he did it as a side note to something else we were talking about. Anyways, I kind of stopped him and told him he should go see the bishop. He kindly disagreed as he felt that he didn't have a continuous problem drinking coffee and it was a minor slip-up. After talking to him about this, I finally thought he saw my point of seeing the bishop, even if it was a minor transgression in all reality.

A few cups of coffee, and your husband was among those devils like his supervisors, and he was just feeling afraid of gettin asleep and he wanted to keep his job - report it to the bishop, no mercy on him. Nonsense! Take the soup ladle and give him five hits (I have thought about the number of hits, but always came to the same result) on his back, not on his head, because the Sheriff's bureau doesn't sleep, and it will be done.

How did you make him committing his crime.... with a hot electric iron...?

Edited by ghostwind

• 10 months later...

Oh no! Not the coffee! How horrible!

Seriously...you are taking this issue over the cliff. Have you read the Word Of Wisdom? Have you read what constituted "hot drinks" in the 1830's? Do you know how far off base you (and most Mormons) are in thinking you cannot consume caffeine? Did you know your sacred cup of hot chocolate could be considered a "hot drink" containing caffeine? Its sad how people have been indoctrinated about these beliefs.

And no, he should NOT go see the Bishop over this.

Oh no! Not the coffee! How horrible!

Seriously...you are taking this issue over the cliff. Have you read the Word Of Wisdom? Have you read what constituted "hot drinks" in the 1830's? Do you know how far off base you (and most Mormons) are in thinking you cannot consume caffeine? Did you know your sacred cup of hot chocolate could be considered a "hot drink" containing caffeine? Its sad how people have been indoctrinated about these beliefs.

And no, he should NOT go see the Bishop over this.

Word of Wisdom

Tea and coffee (see D&C 89:9; latter-day prophets have taught that the term “hot drinks,” as written in this verse, refers to tea and coffee).

Either you sustain latter day prophets... or you don't.

hi and welcome Like most said don't be so hard on your hubby for drinking the coffee, and he did tell you about it, he didn't have too. We all sin to a degree or two, that's why we have the Atonement! Heavenly father knew we would. That's why he sent his only begotten son for us, to atone for our sins. Some sins do not need to be confessed to the Bishop, but we need to have our own prayers of forgiveness to our Lord. Don't sweat the small stuff. And even if there's big stuff it can all be taken care of. Thank goodness. Just love and serve and build upon the rock of salvation we all need to do this.

I would like to see this in print...as well as the fallacy of Coke or Pepsi being against the Word Of Wisdom.

Who said they were?

I would also like to see where it says Coke or Pepsi or my beloved Dr. Pepper or hot chocolate are against the Word of Wisdom. Somebody's reaching.

Who said they were?

I would also like to see where it says Coke or Pepsi or my beloved Dr. Pepper or hot chocolate are against the Word of Wisdom. Somebody's reaching.

None of those beverages are against the Word of Wisdom. Those ideas are the result of Molly Mormon and Peter Priesthood deciding they could be more holy if they over reached on this issue.

None of those beverages are against the Word of Wisdom. Those ideas are the result of Molly Mormon and Peter Priesthood deciding they could be more holy if they over reached on this issue.

Then perhaps you should take it up with Molly Mormon and Peter Priesthood as the issue arises.

Or it could be the result of individuals considering the intent and purpose of the Word of Wisdom and trying to extrapolate the principles they see there. There is nothing about the position, one I don't hold for the record, that requires self-righteousness. Now are there individuals who are self-righteous over the issue? Certainly, but it isn't a given that such is the case. There is room for earnest effort even if we disagree with the conclusion people are reaching.

Edited by Dravin

Isn't becoming more holy something we should all try to do? You make it sound like a bad thing to try to be more holy.

You can make a point that caffeinated soda isn't against the word of wisdom, without namecalling and unrighteous judgments, you know...

Gah. And here I find myself on the fence again.

<grin> MY beloved drinks aren't in the WOW, either.

...but I DO take issue with people extrapolating and/or viewing their personal choices as being more holy than mine or anyone else's... When there is absolutely nothing doctrinal about their decisions.

The WOW says nothing about abstaining from orange juice.

If I extrapolate that hot drinks/tea&coffee are something that people drink in the morning to wake up... As is orange juice... Therefore I abstain from orange juice... How does that make me more holy than the family next door having orange juice with their breakfast?

Yet people go ahead and extrapolate caffeine from hot drinks/ coffee&tea, and are now more holy because they don't drink caffeinated beverages or eat chocolate???

It just makes me very leery to take the ANY word of God, or prophetic advice... And extrapolate "above and beyond".

Mostly because that is the conclusion: ABOVE = BETTER.

When, oh so often, more = worse.

Like, if 2 vitamins are good for me, why not 20? Or 200? (Brought in by ambulance)

If I can fast for 2 meals, why not fast for 20? Or 200? (Funeral held at 4pm)

Q