Where do you live?

Misshalfway

Oh, and in my Branch we really don't care if you come dressed in Sunday dress or Sunday suit, just so you don't come in your Birthday Suit :eek:

So what if I got a suit for my birthday? Does that mean I can't wear it? :P

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am from England, The UK is full of beautiful places, one place i have seen recently which is gorgeous is the Isle of Skye. Buck's Palace, the White Clefts of Dover, McGruff's Pub, Pickaninny Circus, or the Flower of London.I love my England.....

..................................................................................................

I wanna know about LDS-UK!

I have family over there, but they're Anglican... And last long visit was before I converted. I keep toying with the notion of finishing my education over there.

(Weather is practically identical in London & Seattle... But there's public transportation! Lol, and about a gazillion other things. But last time I was there that's what stuck. It's as bis-rable icky out there as here, but the weather doesn't keep people all unsocial at home; dashing from house to car to 'place they were going' to car to house. Seriously. It's filthy out, but one is almost never more than 5 minutes in the drizzling mists, so no worries. And there are so many amazing things to do!! The weather KILLS me here in Seattle. Loathe it. Mostly because being inside 10 months a year is so boring. Um. OP do do do note that about Seattle. Raising kids here means a LOT of time indoors. And not a lot of interesting things to see/do indoors. There's a reason why coffee houses and Videogames are so huge in this area. Kinnect. Kinnect is unexplainably wonderful. )

I live outside of Cleveland, Ohio. I love my job and I love my neighborhood. But if I'm completely honest, I don't love my ward. I suspect my problems with my ward are rooted in similar causes at what carlimac describes from Minnesota--for a lot of the members, this is a stopover before going on to their "real life." My ward here is also far too big for my tastes and I dread ward activities and all the noise and chaos that come with them. Also, the tax structure in Ohio is abysmal.

Western Pennsylvania is beautiful, however. I don't know what the Church is like there, but I love the land.

I miss Portland, Maine, where I went to college. The ward was probably about 120 active members and everyone got along really well. There was quite a bit of character in that ward. I've never felt really comfortable in my own skin since leaving Portland. If I could find a decent career in the area, I'd strongly consider it.

Maine. It is very quiet and rural. Small wards, maybe 100 active members in each. My ward is like one big family. Winters are cold and snowy, summers are short and can be humid. The only drawback is that it is a 3 hour drive to the nearest Temple. Before 2000, the nearest Temple was a 12 hour drive away so I shouldn't complain. I've considered moving closer to a Temple, but I like the quiet simple life here.

SO, So Jealous. We have visited Maine several times. Everyone of them a highlight of my life. Maine is what I picture Eden to be. Amazing scenery, abundant wildlife, and friendly people. For me Maine is Heaven on Earth. The very first time I stepped foot in the state if just felt like Home. I was a Buckeye born and bred, but for me Maine is the Celestial Kingdom of the states, followed very closely by Michigan.

-RM

I am a person who definitely enjoys the "less is more" LDS environment. I am very happy living here in CO, where LDS folks are a curiously-regarded minority.

If you move out of Utah, something to keep in mind is that there will be alcohol everywhere. At work, at weddings, even at Chuck E. Cheeses and baby showers. It will not have the stigma it has in many Utah social circles. I know there are plenty of circles in Utah where there is no stigma about alcohol, but you leave LDS-majority areas, and it gets much harder to find such circles in which to immerse yourself (outside of church stuff of course).

It is usually not a problem if you go into things with a positive attitude and some good humor. When there was team building in a bar, I just ordered as much diet coke as they ordered alcohol. When I was running a work party, they assumed I'd know which beer to order. I told them flat out "I'm happy to order whatever you tell me to, but if you let the mormon decide, you'll all be drinking lime kool-aid." Good humor and not-being-uptight pretty quickly wins respect.

@Badwolf

My wife is from the UK, Yorkshire to be precise. I usually take students over for 3-4 weeks each year as well, but that is usually in the Southwest, (Cornwall, Devon, etc.) The church is pretty strong in locations up north, not so much in the southwest. I love the UK. (come to think of it, there are very few places I don't like...hmmm).

-RM

With horrible humidity and hurricanes. :)

Humidity, yes. But when you're very close to the ocean, the sea breeze makes up for the humidity. We haven't been directly hit by a hurricane. Ever. We got zinged by Floyd in 2004 which caused beach erosion. But not directly hit.

I live in southern California and have since 1955, I love the state but unfortunately I could never recommend it to anyone because the state is heading down the same course as the county we went from the Golden State to the Rust state. However I was born and live in Sugarhouse Utah, lack of work in the 50's drove my family to where the work was.

I live just north of Toronto (Ontario). I love the city, weather is great, but we do get cold and snow in winter. Can be himid in the summer.

The one thing I don't like is there is not many LDS in the area. It's quite disappointing to go to the Temple and never have a full session.

Plus as a single...not many (LDS) men to even have dinner with let alone consider as a partner!

One of the perks though, is going to Palmyra every year! Love it there! Just being in the Grove and Hill Cumorah is so awesome. Sometimes I go twice a year if I can get the time off work. It's only a 5 hr drive.

I vacation every year in Florida and absolutely love it! I have attended several wards and all are friendly.

As a Utah girl, I have been enjoying this thread. Though the spouse and I have already decided we want to stay in Utah, if possible (are willing to consider Idaho or Wyoming). I just think Utah is a pretty state.

We will be spending a few months in Missouri next year. Maybe we'll wind up falling in love with that state.

I live outside of Seattle, in what might possibly be the most beautiful area of the world. The mentality and worldview here is left of center and far more leftist than I like, but the laws here also have a "hands-off" attitude toward homeschooling, which I like and find very important. Large LDS presence, though of course nothing approaching a majority or even a significant minority bloc. Cool summers, mild winters. Rains and drizzles a lot, but I don't mind the rain.

What Vort said...however, despite the "left of center" and non-religious culture of the greater Seattle area (63% have no religious affiliation), there is an openness. In my particular suburb two of the five school board members were LDS at one point. When a candidate made that an issue of her campaign, she was roundly criticized for religious bigotry (and lost). Also, we have two nationally syndicated radio hosts in our area of are "right of center" (Michael Medved and Rabbi Daniel Lapin).

I am prisonchaplain and I endorse this message.

Michigan. Love it. Beautiful scenery, friendly people, reasonable cost of living.

I think you are where my niece goes to college. My late husband's people are from Michigan, the Greeks from around Ann Arbor and the Finns from the UP. I went to UM. Michigan can be wonderful if you have an income and can deal with the winters.

We get chocked up at the 'Pure Michigan' commercials. It really is a beautiful place, but I'd be afraid to move there now 1) you need a Rep governor and 2) the job situation - though I've hear if you are in the health field, it may be doable.

I will push the Pacific Northwest. Laid back people, decent weather (you'll get used to the damp, at least it's not 3' of snow), wonderful scenery. I would like to retire out there.

I'm in the middle of the country now in a rural state with more hogs than people. I like the people and the environment, but the winters are rough. If I were retired and didn't have to get out when the weather was bad, I could probably deal with it, but -15 and having to make an early class is just a drag. The cost of living is low, the college towns have active cultural scenes, and there is significant interest in good eating - local foods, CSAs, farmers' markets, slow food, etc. They got good eats out here, fer sure!