BSA policies regarding felony convictions ???

Sharky

Opinions & Thoughts Please .... will a felony conviction some 26 years ago, off parole for 21 years without any other problems, prevent someone from getting BSA approval in our wards charter?

We have asked a few questions at our local (not so local but ....) Scout Office & seem to be getting multiple answers in the course of a royal run-a-round.

So here's the story:

A month back we called a brother to serve in a scouting position in the ward. He was elated & excited & eagar, though he also expressed concern that BSA might not let him.

He explained that 24 years ago he was released from prison after serving 2 years as a result of a "property crime" (he explained it in detail).

The basics are that at the time, 19-years old, he was living on the streets & steeling to support a drug habit.

After being in prison for 28-months he was paroled & served 36-months on parole.

Since that time he has led a good life. He has attended college, gotten a degree, & has been a productive member of society.

Married in the temple & has a fine family.

A man I am proud to know & proud to call my friend.

Our decision at that time was to retract the calling we had extended to him, though doing so did not set well with me ..... mostly because I have known this individual for 15+ years & the person I have known all these years is not the person he described himself as being at 19-years old.

I didn't attend the Conference Priesthood Session (I was hunting Antelope out of state); however, I have since downloaded & listened to it. After hearing President Monson's talk about seeing people as they can be, I have felt properly chastised.

We would like to re-extend this calling in the scouting program to this same brother; however, like I said, when we tried to get information from our local scout office we have felt somewhat "brushed off".

So I guess I'm wondering if we should go ahead, extend the calling, do the paperwork & see what happens ..... or would we be setting this brother up for a lot of frustration with BSA rejection likely?

Now, I admit I really don't know what exactly goes on as far the background checks (I just enter them in the computer) but I do want to assure that this likely will not be a problem because:

1) The felony was so long ago

2) The felony doesn't sound like it endangered anyone (namely young persons).

I have a lot of people ask me this sort of question, having similar worries... and rarely is a person turned down for something non-child related. My system does have felons currently registered with no problems as their background check found nothing scary-kid-danger related.

For example, my grandfather-in-law also served several years as a felon, is currently a registered Scout leader, and also has served in several church callings including Bishop since being released from prison.

I know a lot of wards will not extend the call until they've made sure the BSA registration was taken, so that's entirely up to your ward.

So, yeah, I can't guarantee if he'll be approved, but I do feel comfortable saying it's likely.

Thank You Backroads.

That was kind of what I kept feeling impressed with, the legnth of time that has passed & the things he has done with his life in that time seem to somewhat negate the past.

Yet I got a distinct feeling that most everyone I spoke with at the local Scout Office that they were affraid to even comment on the matter. I figured maybe the annoniminity of LDS.net might help a bit.

I'm thinking we now have a need in the Young Mens Program too, so maybe we'll do that & then blend it with the scouting position pending his BSA approval.

From the time we first selected him I felt impressed that he had something very important, very key, to offer our youth & their parents, something that is despretly needed!

We have had a few teen suicides in the area recently, 1 a member of the church, & now maybe I kind of am begining to understand that he really does have a very different perspective of teen-life. And that his perspective & experiences in life just might be very beneficial right now.

Edited by Sharky

Yet I got a distinct feeling that most everyone I spoke with at the local Scout Office that they were affraid to even comment on the matter. I figured maybe the annoniminity of LDS.net might help a bit.

:) Yeah, it is a weird thing to comment on, and if you had come to my office in person my answer would have been more vague as it would have been more directly involved with me (with my luck, you're probably in my council! ^_^) But I really do stand by what I said here.

A month back we called a brother to serve in a scouting position in the ward. He was elated & excited & eagar, though he also expressed concern that BSA might not let him.

So I guess I'm wondering if we should go ahead, extend the calling, do the paperwork & see what happens ..... or would we be setting this brother up for a lot of frustration with BSA rejection likely?

Can you do the paperwork first, then extend the calling if it's all good? That way nobody's sitting there having frustration...

Can you do the paperwork first, then extend the calling if it's all good? That way nobody's sitting there having frustration...

I do recommend this--and from what I understand it's common no matter what the case is. I commonly get "How long will the background check take 'cuz we want to sustain him on Sunday." ("Sir, it's Friday night and we close in 2 minutes...)

Yeah, I think I'm going to suggest Sunday that we call him to the young men's position that was just vacated when the other guy moved. Then we can do the BSA papperwork etc & go from there with the Scouting position.

My ward has always tried to keep most of Young Men's leaders & the Scout Leaders seperate as we do have some non-member scouts attending our troop .... that rural proximity thing, close & easy access.

But in this case & with the challenges our community is currently facing, having this individual serve in both roles might serve us & the community very well right now.

On a side note:

I don't know about the background check process within BSA, though my State Office of Criminal Investigations (basically like a state crime lab) has most "Authorized Organizations" (which includes certain employers & charities that are required by law to do "pre-employment" background checks) set up for on-line access.

The in-state criminal records check is normally back in 24-hrs after they submit it & out-of-state checks are normally back within 48-hrs.

Now that I think about it, an out-of-state "non-violent crime" from 20-years ago I am not even sure comes back on a background check unless more recent charges exist or a request was made for an "in-depth manual search" (which can take months & generally requires fingerprint cards be submitted). Any crime with a minor or "at risk individual" as the victim is flagged as "violent" for the purpose of background checks around here.

Edited by Sharky

I'd like to think there are some people that have gone through the drug addiction which caused them to do things they normally wouldn't have done can turn their lives completely around.

I don't know about the background check process within BSA, though my State Office of Criminal Investigations (basically like a state crime lab) has most "Authorized Organizations" (which includes certain employers & charities that are required by law to do "pre-employment" background checks) set up for on-line access.

The in-state criminal records check is normally back in 24-hrs after they submit it & out-of-state checks are normally back within 48-hrs.

Generally, once the background check starts, it's pretty quick, a similar 1-2 days thing. It can get held up, though--my co-worker that actually submits the batches forgets to do it that day, for example. There are exceptions for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with a problem for a person where it can take up to a week.

• 5 years later...

I’ve recently applied at a Boy Scout camp for a full time summer position. I have a misdemeanor for theft on my record though, it happened two years ago and I wasn’t arrested. I paid a fine; and it’s my only offense. I’ve done a lot to turn my life around, been hired for caregiver positions through the DHS and have been deemed fit by them at least to be around children and adults. Can anyone tell me if they think I could be hired? Or would they just say I’m a do not hire? Thanks for your time!

Showed this to my dad, who's doing scouts for his ward. 

Contact the Stake President and the Stake Young Men's President. Let them take it from there, especially when dealing with the BSA, since you may have to talk to the national organization instead of just the local organization.