Crohn's Disease

JudoMinja

My father has been dealing with a lot of very severe gastro-intestinal issues that have yet to be diagnosed, but it's looking like it is most probably Crohn's Disease. The doctors haven't really been all that helpful, as they keep doing tests and finding nothing wrong other than the obvious inflammation, diarrhea, and bleeding. They can't figure out the cause and just keep telling my dad what it isn't. The only reason we even have anything to go off of is because my mother is a nurse and did her research and came up with her own "self-diagnosis".

Even if the doctors reach a point where they agree with my mom- there isn't much they can do as Crohn's is still not understood scientifically. The cause is unknown, and there's no way to treat it, cure it, or prevent it. There are medications that can appease the symptoms for a little while, but they always crop back up, and it can eventually develop into cancer. My mom started researching natural remedies and wants to do everything she possibly can to help my father- and putting him on probiotics and using some other herbs meant to help with gastro-intestinal issues has been helpful.

She took my dad to a nutritionist, explained his symptoms and her conclusion that it was probably Crohn's and the nutritionist agreed. The nutritionist then suggested a gluten/dairy/legume/red-meat free diet. Whew. That's a lot of things to cut out. As my mom has been working on making the dietary changes for my father, she's been talking with me about all this, and I've been thinking it is very possible my son and I have this as well. It is genetic, and we both have a lot of the same symptoms as my dad, just much more minor- more annoyances than anything debilitating.

I've decided I'm going to go ahead and make these dietary changes as well. I don't think it will be too difficult. We already eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and rice. And we already eat very little meat- mostly chicken and fish when we do eat it. I do like my occasional burger or beef roast though- maybe once a month- and I'll miss that. And I will definitely miss milk, cheese, noodles, bread, and nuts. But I'm hoping to see some changes in our health and the prevention of either of us having to go through what my father's going through now.

So- My question is, does anyone else here have any experience with Crohn's Disease or have any suggestions or advice for eating gluten/dairy/legume/red-meat free?

My sister-in-law has had Crohn's since she graduated highschool four years ago. In that time she has tried various diets such as the restricted(??) carbohydrate diet, raw food diet, gluten free, dairy free, detox cleanses after trying what the doctors suggested for around two years. She still deals with the condition, but she does seem to have a higher quality of life since trying the various diets and natural health alternatives.

Avoiding gluten can be particularly difficult because it is not only found in wheat, but also many other grains. Although oats do not contain gluten themselves, they are usually harvested or processed by equipment that also process other gluten containing grains. It is also in most processed foods, so prepackaged convenience foods are out.

While gluten and dairy sensitivity and intolerance can cause a lot of problems for some people, I think it is important to get tested for it rather than just cutting it out. These food groups add a variety of nutrients to the diet that are not always easily obtained from other sources.

The only reason I can imagine for cutting out legumes is that the fibers can be irritating to the digestive tract and interrupt healing of lesions. Sensitivities to them are less common in my understandings.

Cutting out red-meat is likely a precaution because of its correlation with colorectal cancer. Besides it seems to be in keeping with the word of wisdom to keep meat consumption low.

One of my dad's tests in the works is to see if he's dairy and gluten intolerant, as well as if he has any other food allergies we've been unaware of. I know my son can't handle dairy and he's already been eating dairy free for the most part- haven't been sticking to it very strictly. I haven't been tested for anything myself, but I try to follow the same diet I give my son as much as I can just so I'm not making things complicated or he accidently has something he's not supposed to if he tries to share with me.

Since my dad's been having such a hard time getting diagnosed and I'm not experiencing anything as severe as he is, I was going to put off seeing a doctor about it for me and just see how the diet change worked out. My son's doctor came right out and said, "I wouldn't worry about that right now, as long as there's no bleeding." Even though we've been having issues with allergies, dairy, constipation, and diarrhea since he was an infant. *sigh* So I'm trying to do a test run and if the diet seems to make any difference at all, I'll try to pursue a diagnosis for both myself and my son.

I know the gluten avoidance is going to be the hardest. My mom has been going through everything and reading all the labels and checking for little "code words" in the ingredients that really mean gluten. Thanks for the info about the oats! I'll pass that on to her, and guess that means I need to cut out oatmeal for breakfast too. :(

My dad was told to avoid the legumes (and seeds) because of how severe his symptoms have been and because the beans contribute to gass. I forgot- my mom said he's also avoiding corn for the same reason as the legumes.

From what I've been able to understand of Crohn's so far- I'm seeing that it's something that won't ever go away- just kept under control. And I figure if my son and I follow the same diet recommendations my dad gets, we'll be able to keep it under control enough that neither of us eventually faces severe problems with it. At least that's my hope.

Yeah, my dad and I were both diagnosed with irritable bowel years ago, but now that all this is going on with my dad, it's looking like it's more than that.

I've been making this list of everything that's considered to be a symptom associated with Crohn's and putting down who in my family has it:

Recurring diarrhea- Dad, me, sister, son

Recurring constipation- Dad, me, sister, brother, son

Recurring gas/bloating- Dad, me, sister

Hemroids- Dad, mom, me

Bloody stools- Dad, me

Arthritis/joint pain- Dad, me, son, sister

Psoriasis- me

Colon cancer- great-grandfather on my dad's side

Heartburn- Dad, me, sister, son

Food allergies (dairy/nuts/soy)- brother, son (possibly Dad)

Gluten intolerance- (possibly Dad, possibly son)

Ulcers- Dad

Inflammed intestines- Dad

Gerd- Dad

Weight loss (from excessive diarrhea)- Dad

Anemia- me

Lower back pains- Dad, me

Osteoperosis- nobody

Looking at all of that together, I think my Dad at least definitely has Crohn's. And while it's possible the rest of us just have food allergies and/or irritable bowel, the fact that Crohn's is genetic makes me think we've got it too and just haven't had it bother us as severely as my father.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Ezekiel22
Hidden

Preventing gluten can be particularly challenging because it is not only discovered in rice, but also many other grain. Although oatmeal do not contain gluten themselves, they are usually gathered or prepared by devices that also procedure other gluten containing grain. It is also in most unhealthy meals, so packaged comfort meals are out......

Gym Pasadena

I would only worry about cutting out red meat because of iron, I guess you could take iron supplements? With bleeding going on, you will need to stay hydrated and keep your iron up to replace those cells. I would cut everything and leave the oatmeal for last as it is so beneficial to digestion usually fighting against constipation. If you have cut everything and sticking with the oatmeal and you feel better, then the oatmeal is fine. Don't eliminate it out of principle, only out of practice if it is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Garrick08
Hidden

Well this a really a dangerous disease. One of my relative is the victim of Crohn's. But doctor prescribed him the steriod medication. But after a long time to using the steriod he got addicted to that. and now he is completely get rid of Crohn's. But still using the that steriod medicines. So my question is that is it impossible to leave the steriod? Thanks