Driving The Speed Limit

mirkwood

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attention drivers. If the police are behind you it is okay to drive the speed limit. I promise, we won't pull you over for driving the speed limit. Seriously

I could see how the 'cloud' of cars going 5 to 10 under hovering around you could get annoying. It must be interesting (though not necessarily fun) to note when other drivers have seen you by them slowing down.

I wonder how many of them are simply unaware of what the speed-limit is at that particular point. On some roads I travel it varies from 35 to 45 as you hit various stretches, so if they're on a 45 stretch and are going 45 but then you see a cop and panic a little about just what stretch you're on (do the commute enough times and you kinda autopilot and all) so you play it safe and go down to 40 or even 35. Either that or they're paying extra attention to other ticketable offenses that if they aren't on cruise control they sort of reflexively slow down, kinda like how people will slow down when they're fussing with the radio.

I think drivers get intimidated when having a police car behind them. It's kind of funny how many people drive 5 below on the freeway when it's usually just a city policeman probably on their way to work. :)

I usually don't struggle with this. I have obsessions with the posted speed limit, I look for them, I panic if I don't know what the speed limit is. I try to stay within 5 mph either way of that speed limit, with the greatest comfort if I'm going exactly the speed limit.

People's reaction to speed limits seems to be a regional thing. I have been to states where people drive the speed limit. It is shocking! It's just not safe to drive the limit where I live. On the expressways the speed limit is 55, but most people go close to 80. If you drive the speed limit you will be rear ended, run off the road, honked at, given the finger, etc... It is difficult to drive in other states. I'm used to driving fast as a matter of self-preservation.

Attention drivers. If the police are behind you it is okay to drive the speed limit. I promise, we won't pull you over for driving the speed limit. Seriously

You would love me - I hardly ever go the speed limit. But then of course I ride a bicycle whenever I can. But I did once get pulled over on my bicycle for going 45 in a 25 zone. I had a nice and interesting conversation with the officer and I did not get a ticket - this time but I have gotten a ticket for speeding on my bicycle. I have it framed and hanging in my office. It is quite a conversation piece.

The truth is that bicyclists have a very different view of traffic and must realize that regardless of who is at fault - the cyclists is going to get killed or hurt for being stupid and not being very aware of what is going on around us.

The Traveler

You would love me - I hardly ever go the speed limit. But then of course I ride a bicycle whenever I can. But I did once get pulled over on my bicycle for going 45 in a 25 zone.

I got passed by a cop while I was going 22 in a 15 zone on my bike. Oddly, the park streets are 15 zones, but the MUP speed limit is 20.

When I was getting my driver's license in California I was standing in line behind a women who received a speeding ticket for driving two miles over the speed limit.

Hahaha!!!! I think this is exactly the reason people slow down even under the speed limit when they are around the squad car. I was driving with some friends from high school and we hit a section of cars...every one going the speed limit hovering around two bike cops. We went 1 mile over and slowly started to pass them (it literally took about a minut just to get right next to them). Once we got right next to them, one of them looked over at us, tapped his speedometer and shook his head. We were cool with it, but honestly? What a joke. :lol: They totally would have pulled us over. Maybe cops should have stickers on their car that says "strict cop", "Lenient Cop", "Cool Cop"...

Now, If one is behind me in the fast lane, I will pull into the next lane, let him pass and then I will follow. Let him "set the example" as someone else posted.

ROFL....

Attn Officers: Trolling for idiots when there are only 2 lanes...

(by driving 10 under or more, everyone too afraid to pass, so it takes me a million years of "leap frogging" -moving fwd by changing lanes car by car)

... Is just plain mean.

Funny.

But mean.

Although I DID get pulled over once for passing a cop trolling for idiots. Granted, I stuck my tongue out at him.

True Story:

I was driving down I-95, saw the cop from the rise and slowed down to 5 over speed limit (they don't catch those over here). The cop pulled out of his hide-away right infront of me, so I just followed him. Lo and behold, he turns on his lights, pulled to the right lane, slowed down, then went behind me. I was like, "huh?". I looked at my speed and it was 85 (70mph limit). The cop pulled me over and right when I opened the window I accused him of Entrapment! I told him I trusted the cop to know what the speed limit is! He gave me a ticket for driving 79 on a 70. It wasn't as big bucks as 85 but still... He said he was driving 90 and I was still right behind him, so he said I was lucky to not have gotten a 90mph ticket which, in his book, is reckless driving and jail time.

True Story:

I was driving down I-95, saw the cop from the rise and slowed down to 5 over speed limit (they don't catch those over here). The cop pulled out of his hide-away right infront of me, so I just followed him. Lo and behold, he turns on his lights, pulled to the right lane, slowed down, then went behind me. I was like, "huh?". I looked at my speed and it was 85 (70mph limit). The cop pulled me over and right when I opened the window I accused him of Entrapment! I told him I trusted the cop to know what the speed limit is! He gave me a ticket for driving 79 on a 70. It wasn't as big bucks as 85 but still... He said he was driving 90 and I was still right behind him, so he said I was lucky to not have gotten a 90mph ticket which, in his book, is reckless driving and jail time.

Maybe he was in a hurry to get somewhere but it was one of those situations where he needed to not have his lights on? But then he wouldn't have taken the time to snag you... Yeah. I'd call that entrapment, too. Wonder how many people he snags that way before someone actually refuses to pay the ticket and wins an entrapment charge?

Sounds like Mantua, Utah.

Funny...a friend of mine just said the same thing when I posted this on facebook.

I've learned over the years that small town law enforcement mentality is much different then larger cities. New officers are kind of funny too.

This post was prompted by 10-15 under the limit night. It seemed like everyone ahead of me on single lane roads felt the need to drive reeeeaaaallllly slow.

Funny...a friend of mine just said the same thing when I posted this on facebook.

I've learned over the years that small town law enforcement mentality is much different then larger cities. New officers are kind of funny too.

This post was prompted by 10-15 under the limit night. It seemed like everyone ahead of me on single lane roads felt the need to drive reeeeaaaallllly slow.

Yup, that about sums it up. And your facebook buddy is right: I actually drive past Mantua a couple of times a week for work, and even obey-the-speed-limit me gets nervous there. There's a cop more often than not. It's not as bad as it used to be, the town finally talked to the cop that was getting people for going a mile over, but apparently they have something in the town they proudly claim was paid solely by speeding tickets. Haven't verified that, but the notion amused me.

Small town cops don't have much to do, it seems. They will defend what they can.

Don't you use NHTSA's Guide to the Visual Detection of DWI Motorists? 10+ under the posted limit is a pretty high probability single-cue indicator, IIRC. Even if your department doesn't officially use that guide, it should be easily defensible in court.

If they're clean, stopping them and pointing out that driving ridiculously slowly is suspicious behavior might help reduce the problem in the future.

My first ticket was in Richfield, UT. I was 16.

Also, at 16, I was pulled over in Mesquite, NV under suspicion of driving a stolen car. This was back when there was no freeway past Mesquite, and you had to drive through the town.

Was that about 100 years ago? :P

Cops that drive under the speed limit are hazards on the road. Cops are usually the bad drivers as well. No use of turn signals(those crown Vic's must not come with them) I love to watch the stupid maneuvers they make while using crossovers or just plain abusing citizen owned vehicles and just doing some badger hole jumps crossing divided highways. Traffic enforcement is nothing more than harassment and revenue stream(job security).