Requesting Permission For Family Ordinances

vesser1

Hello All!

I'm having a bit of a delema. I really really REALLY want to do the ordinance work for my paternal parents sides of the family, but don't feel comfortable asking for permission. Both of my grandparents have passed and I have permission to do their work, but I need to talk to my great aunt or uncles in order to get permission to do ordinances any further back. I just can't think of how to bring it up, simply expalin what it is I'm doing, ask for permission, etc. Any ideas on how to do this and the format (letter, email, phone, in person, etc)? If I get a no from one person, should I just move on to another to see if I can get a yes? I really want to do the work for my family and just want to make the best impression and present it as the amazing and sacred thing that it is. Thanks for any ideas!

It is best to get permission when possible. The question is: how old would your grandparents be right now if still alive? If they were born less than 95 years ago, then you definitely have to have permission. If they were born more than 95 years ago, then the Church doesn't have a problem with us doing the work for our ancestors.

If you cannot start work on your grandparents yet, then begin with your great-grandparents or g-g-grandparents, as they've been dead long enough that no one should care regarding you doing their work.

The reality is, you will not get everyone's permission. I did my mother's line. While she is now LDS, most of her family are Catholic and would not have approved of me doing the work for my grandparents. I suppose most of them do not know the temple work has even been done, which is fine with me.