? about Prayer

circusboy01

My niece has both Hodgkins and Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Both stage 3 Naturally I have been praying a lot. For quite a while I was asking Heavenly Father to take me instead of my

niece. Then I remembered hearing, or maybe reading in the Scriptures, that you are not supposed to bargain with Heavenly Father. Would offering to go in place of another be considered bargaining ? Brother Ray.

I am so sorry to hear about your niece.

I am not sure about the bargaining issue. It does show your character however - "greater love hath no man than this, than that he lay down his life for his friends."

I can offer perhaps a different perspective. Your love for your niece is unquestioned. If it truly is her time to go, God has other blessings in store for her that we should not desire to take from her. If you love her, let her go. It may be hard to see and accept now, but it will become clear when you are reunited in the next life.

If it is not her time to go, God doesn't need to take your life to save hers.

I am so sorry to hear about your niece.

I am not sure about the bargaining issue. It does show your character however - "greater love hath no man than this, than that he lay down his life for his friends."

I can offer perhaps a different perspective. Your love for your niece is unquestioned. If it truly is her time to go, God has other blessings in store for her that we should not desire to take from her. If you love her, let her go. It may be hard to see and accept now, but it will become clear when you are reunited in the next life.

If it is not her time to go, God doesn't need to take your life to save hers.

Thank you ever so much. What a wonderful way to look at it. I didn't even think of blessings I might be taking from her. I was just being selfish. Because I want to keep her around.

Thank you again. I will adjust my prayers accordingly :-) Brother Ray

Edited by circusboy01

Good point. Wonder where I got the idea? Doesn't it say in the Scriptures " Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Or is that more false memories on my part? Maybe that's where I got the idea from. Tempting could be looked at as bargaining. Brother Ray

I have frequently seen the no bargaining attitude among church members, but in light of the scriptures, feel it somewhat misguided.

I have frequently seen the no bargaining attitude among church members, but in light of the scriptures, feel it somewhat misguided.

So it probably was something I had heard, and not just something I made up in my head. Good to know ;0) I guess their misinformation comes from (Okay Tiny Spell wont show me the correct spelling of this word, so I'll just have to wing it) enturputing the scriptures incorrectly Brother Ray

"Bargaining with God" does not really make sense to me. Bargaining can take place only when each party has something the other party wants. What do we have that God wants? Only one possible thing: Our choices. So we go to bargain with God by offering our choices.

But God already has a standing offer on the table, and it's the best possible offer we could ever get, in time or in eternity. God is offering us ETERNAL LIFE. Seriously, is God likely to say, "Oh, well, okay, if you will stop smoking, then I will cure your cancer"? Why would God bargain with lesser things?

We may indeed offer God bargains. God may indeed do as we wish (or we may assume he did so). But it seems unlikely to me that God did X because we bargained to give him Y for it. That is much closer to the traditional pagan idea of gods than the Restored Gospel teaches.

(On the other hand, my mother's physical life as a child was involved in a story having to do with bargaining with God, and I am sure the story is historically true. Whether the events occurred as a result of the "bargain" or by sheer amazing coincidence, I don't know, but I'm not ready to discard the idea altogether.)