Tithing

Xenos

I think it is a bit of both. The Lord gives us all of our money, just as he gives us our physical bodies, and expects us to treat both with great care. Many times He will give us just what we need, but we may not see it at first.

Other times when we have done our utmost to be responsible and careful with what we have been given, and yet unexpected circumstances arrive, it can test our faith in tithing. For me, and some others that I know the miracle of the promise was very real. Whether it was milk that was there when it shouldn't have been, a check arriving quite unexpectedly in the mail, gas still in a tank that should have been empty long ago, or a sudden job offer from where one was not saught, the promise is there and kept. All of those and more have happened for me, as well as the more empirical help from the Bishop's storehouse.

Pretty judgmental to think that people who have debt are simply poor money managers. Life happens. Sometimes that comes with a hefty price tag that no one could be prepared for. It's not a matter of people being irresponsible and thinking God will magically supply them with money.

Sorry if it came off as judgemental, totally not my intention! I'm just stating that (I'm sure most are already aware of), while paying tithing is important for both spiritual and temporal help from God, perhaps of equal importance are the practical matters of budgeting, finances, seeking ways to increase one's income and reduce one's expenses, etc. I find often that those who are financially well-off (in or out of the Church) practice good financial principles. The original poster stated tithing payment was difficult due to the current budget strain they find themselves in. While I think still paying tithing in such a situation is important, of equal importance is doing budgeting/financial forecasting to see realistically how much money you will have when all expenses/tithing is paid, seek ways to further cut costs/expenses, increase income if possible, etc. Such practices are, in my thoughts, just as important as tithing payment.

There have been many occasions where we paid our tithing instead of paying something else we really needed the money for, and by some miracle that amount we needed showed up later. Sometimes it has been an unexpected refund. Other times DH or I or both of us have been offered extra hours at work. One time we mailed our tithing payment to the bishop instead of buying our kids Christmas presents. The very next day a box of Christmas presents showed up at our door, along with an envelope for the EXACT amount of money we had paid in tithing (although we knew the check had not even made it to the bishop yet and we had told no one that we had not been able to buy presents!).

I'm not saying these miracles happen every time. Sometimes it's just up to us to do without something. Other times we have had to go to our bishop and ask for help with bills and groceries (and keep in mind that you have the option to ask the church for financial help if you're a full tithe-payer). And every once in awhile we just couldn't pay a bill that month. We survived and still managed to get it paid eventually.

I think sometimes tithing is also a way of the Lord humbling us when it comes to money. There is such a HUGE emphasis in the world today on the importance of money. I know people who work jobs they absolutely hate just because they can make a lot of money. A lot of people have the mindset that whoever dies with the most money wins, and that is just not the Lord's way. I think tithing helps remind us of that.

I'm Other times we have had to go to our bishop and ask for help with bills and groceries (and keep in mind that you have the option to ask the church for financial help if you're a full tithe-payer).

Being a full tithe payer is not a requirement for getting assistance from the church.

• 2 weeks later...

BrendaM has hit the nail on the head...tithing isn't about the money.

Tithing has nothing to do with money. The Lord doesn't need our money. His work will move forward regardless of whether or not we support Him. Can we afford to pay tithing? That's not even close to the question we should be asking...Can we afford to not pay it?

Tithing is about obedience. Plain and simple. Pay it or don't, it's between each of us and the Lord. As for me, I sure as heck don't plan on standing in front of the Lord trying to explain to Him why my worldly choices were worth more than His commandments. Nope. Ain't happening.

Tithing is not a "contribution" but a Law. With that being said, it is a Law with a promise...the whole "windows of heaven" promise from Malachi. With that being said, go have a chat with your Bishop about your concerns and he will steer you aright.

Remember, as you said: "tithing is done in an act of faith." It isn't about the money, it is about the faith. The question is not "Do I have enough money to pay tithing" but rather "Do I have enough faith to pay tithing."

It is challenging for many people to answer that question with honesty and humility, so again I urge you to speak with your Bishop so he can help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thinker

1. Scriptures state tithing is based on increase, NOT income & this is logical.

IE: 2 men make the exact same income.

1 man lives at home with his parents who take care of all his bills, thus all of his income is increase.

The 2nd man is the sole provider of a family of 7 & after paying all of his bills, has no increase at all (may even be in debt).

To demand the same amount from each man is unfair, & is not of God.

God would never require more of us than we can give... it just doesn't make sense to make the poor, even poorer.

2. There are no scriptures of Jesus paying tithing... probably because he didn't measure out what to give in materialistic terms, but gave in more priceless ways. We can always give of ourselves - & we will be blessed for that.

3. According to scripture, at least 1/3 of tithing is meant to go to the poor - although as mentioned, Jesus would & did give much more than that.

"At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: And the Levite, (because he hath no part no inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the Lord they God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest." -Deut 14:28-29

1/3 of tithes are to be given to those in need... which there are plenty of!

The World Health Organization estimates that almost 1,000,000,000 (1 Billion) are chronically hungry!

Gospel Principles Chapter 32: Tithes and Offerings

The First Presidency has explained that “one-tenth of all their interest annually” refers to our income (see First Presidency letter, Mar. 19, 1970).

That letter was referenced in post #17.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/49726-tithing.html#post709337

I encourage you to apply Mosiah 2:9 to this thread:

9 And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view.

1. Scriptures state tithing is based on increase, NOT income & this is logical.

IE: 2 men make the exact same income.

1 man lives at home with his parents who take care of all his bills, thus all of his income is increase.

The 2nd man is the sole provider of a family of 7 & after paying all of his bills, has no increase at all (may even be in debt).

To demand the same amount from each man is unfair, & is not of God.

Baloney, baloney, bah low knee. Not one General Authority has ever given such an interpretation to the law of tithing. This is pure, unadulterated nonsense.

I have no desire to instruct anyone else on how to pay tithing. It's a tenth of one's increase annually. Interpret that how you will. But the above interpretation is, in my estimation, undeniably f a l s e.