Are we allowed to eat/drink vinegar/vinaigrette?

Blue_Islands

I use red wine vinegarette in my salad dressings.

I take reasonable steps to be sure there is no alcohol or other WoW violations. I don't choose ingredients where alcohol is a main ingredient, or where the purpose is to become intoxicated.

I do not take a fine tooth comb to check the ingredients of every little thing I buy to see if there has ever been any alcohol or caffeine or tea.

If I can't tell by the label if it's not appropriate then it's probably fine.

Even then, I do like beer-battered chicken tv dinners. Is it a violation of the word of wisdom? In my judgment, no because it's chicken, not a beverage.

Life's too short to be looking at lists of ingredients to say "Nope, better not have that!"

I use red wine vinegarette in my salad dressings.

I take reasonable steps to be sure there is no alcohol or other WoW violations. I don't choose ingredients where alcohol is a main ingredient, or where the purpose is to become intoxicated.

I do not take a fine tooth comb to check the ingredients of every little thing I buy to see if there has ever been any alcohol or caffeine or tea.

If I can't tell by the label if it's not appropriate then it's probably fine.

Even then, I do like beer-battered chicken tv dinners. Is it a violation of the word of wisdom? In my judgment, no because it's chicken, not a beverage.

Life's too short to be looking at lists of ingredients to say "Nope, better not have that!"

I would think that pan frying, or deep frying the chicken would burn off all the alcohol Brother Ray Oh I posted my new talk over at 10 minute talk. Tell me what you think.

Guest SquidMom

My husband makes beer soup. It's mostly boiled mashed potatoes and cheese, but the broth is 90% beer. It's delicious. I know the alcohol is cooked out cause it would totally make us dunk if it wasn't! Guests don't even know it's beer, unless we tell them. (We always do.)

My husband makes beer soup. It's mostly boiled mashed potatoes and cheese, but the broth is 90% beer. It's delicious. I know the alcohol is cooked out cause it would totally make us dunk if it wasn't! Guests don't even know it's beer, unless we tell them. (We always do.)

Actually when cooking with any kind of alcohol it doesn't completely cook out.

Actually when cooking with any kind of alcohol it doesn't completely cook out.

True. It's a common myth that alcohol all "cooks out". On the other hand, I personally don't see cooking alcohol to be a Word of Wisdom issue.

ok that was funny Miss Halfway!

No, not a problem. You know vanilla has alcohol as well as marachino cherries, and a whole bunch of other stuff. As far a vinegar is concerned, isn't that what things are pickled in? I wouldn't exactly gulp it, but pickels and vanilla are just fine.

Don't get so wrapped up in the letter of the law that you forget the spirit of it.

And strawberry viniagret is awesome. I like it on fresh spinach with almond slivers and cranberries.

• 2 weeks later...

D&C 89:

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with a promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—

5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

That said, here is my 2 cents.

Very simply, the Lord expects each of us to make our own determinations. He has given us a "principle with a promise". Follow this great principle and you will be blessed. In this, I believe you must follow what you can live with.

If it bothers you to use cooking wines, etc, Hon, don't use them. If you feel comfortable doing it, do so. And if all else fails and you truly can not decide or it tears you up inside, go see your Bishop. Listen to his counsel. You'll be just fine.

As far as specifics...here's a bit of info for you:

A study by a team of researchers at the University of Idaho, Washington State University, and the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat - 85% alcohol retained

alcohol flamed - 75% alcohol retained

no heat, stored overnight - 70% alcohol retained

baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture - 45% alcohol retained

baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

Time (h) / % Alcohol retained

0.25 40%

0.5 35%

1.0 25%

1.5 20%

2.0 10%

2.5 5%

Another thing to look at is the quantity. As an example: if you use a cup of wine for a roast; the roast cooks 2 - 3 hours, you have retained the flavor and according to the chart, about 5% of the alcohol. Now slice that roast up. Say...10 pieces all the same size....you are retaining less than 1/2% of the alcohol that was in it.

I see nothing wrong with cooking with alcohol. I have been cooking many years and have used it on rare occasion. I personally don't care to use it (I have maybe all of 3 times in 40 years) because quite frankly, I don't like the taste. And why would I want to acquire a taste for it? Certainly, I don't want my kids to enjoy it.

Listen to your heart and to the Spirit. And please don't beat yourself up over it. You do what you know is right in your heart, the Lord will surely bless you for it.

Edited by LetrellC

Hidden

Are we allowed to eat/drink vinegar/vinaigrette or anything which contains those substances? What if it is something like red wine vinaigrette as a specific example? My concern is a similar to that of my concern with cooking with alcohol, how would one know for sure that all of the alcohol is completely gone?

I don't like alcohol advertisements and shy away from the stuff. Yet I like okra and Odules vinaigrette and less than 10 oz of wine shouldn't excite cells to the point of death. Also water to wine... Drink to be merry not to be a drunk. I would ban it because for some people it's heroin or crack.

LOL. I do drink vinegar...it's great for muscle cramps. Actually, haven't had to take a swig in almost a year, but believe it or not, one or two swigs and in about 30 seconds to a minute, the cramp is gone. And since I am normally passed out from the disgusting drinking of the vinegar, it's not my choice of beverage either. LOL Nasty stuff to swig.....