Scouting Recipe Project

My troop just had a very successful campout where we did a variation on an Iron Chef competition. We let them choose a recipe in which they needed to use avocado, and then as patrols they had to procure the ingredients and make the meal. In the process, we finally got through to them that they can cook good food while camping instead of just roasting hot dogs on sticks (not something we let them do anyway).

To help them continue in this development, we're trying to put together a collection of recipes suitable to outdoors cooking for boys aged 11 - 16 years old. If any of you have recipes you think are suitable, please share them.

Some conditions to consider:

• Most meals will be cooked on a propane stove with aluminum cookware. Occasionally we cook over charcoal or with dutch ovens, but this is really limited to once or twice a year.
  • We would prefer to avoid recipes with sauces that burn easily (for example, filling an aluminum skillet with barbecue sauce makes a mess that can take hours to clean)
  • Our target cost is about $3 per person per meal.
  • We generally have about 1.5 hours for breakfast (including clean up), 1.5 hours for lunch (including clean up) and 2 hours for dinner (including clean up)
  • We cannot bake unless we are using dutch ovens
  • Lunches don't necessarily need to be cooked as we are often on the go.

I'm sure I'll come up with other considerations as we go, but that's what I have so far.

My plan is to collect recipes for and print them onto 4"x6" cards. After laminating the cards, we can let the boys select a recipe, make their shopping list, and then take the recipe on the campout with them and still be able to reuse it.

The pdf here didn't size the paper correctly, but this is about what I'm envisioning.

Thanks for your help.

Ooooh!!! You should make an Iron Chef Competition for Hobo Pie! I went to one campout sometime last year where we all decided to have make-your-own hobo pies for dinner. I had no idea what a hobo pie was! But, everyone made their own kind and I tasted each one of them and it was so cool how they were all different and all so delicious and all so easy to make at camp.