"Afterlife" question

KirkCO

I'm an active LDS member, but I have been asked a couple of questions from non-members that have stumped me. I was hoping on some advice as to how to answer them.

1. Why is tea bad for your health? I know herbal tea is ok. I personally drink green tea a lot and feel fine about it. However, why are the other teas (and I'll add coffee) bad for you?

2. Here's the real tricky question. I was asked what in the world "day to day" life in the "afterlife" will be like? What do you do every "day?" (For lack of better words). My response was uhhhhh...I don't know.

Anyway, I appreciate it! (I'm a new member here on the forum).

Thanks!

Welcome, Kirk.

My personal thoughts. Tea and coffee isn't "bad" for us but rather we are instructed by the Prophet to follow the Word of Wisdom. So we do it. In regards to the afterlife, if I were to speculate, I think a lot of what we enjoy here in this life will be there in the next, given we are obedient and live according to the Lord's plan.

1. Well, I've seen plenty of reports about the health disasters caused by tea and coffee. But I've seen just as many touting the health benefits of the same. Your best answer would be that it's more of a commandment issue than health.

2. I don't think we've been given any real revelation on this.

I'm an active LDS member, but I have been asked a couple of questions from non-members that have stumped me. I was hoping on some advice as to how to answer them.

1. Why is tea bad for your health? I know herbal tea is ok. I personally drink green tea a lot and feel fine about it. However, why are the other teas (and I'll add coffee) bad for you?

I don't know that they are. But compounds such as tannins, caffeine, and caffeine-related chemicals probably are not good for you in general.

We don't avoid drinking them because there are specific bad things in them. We avoid drinking them by commandment, having faith that there are good reasons for the commandment.

2. Here's the real tricky question. I was asked what in the world "day to day" life in the "afterlife" will be like? What do you do every "day?" (For lack of better words). My response was uhhhhh...I don't know.

Neither does anyone else. That has not been revealed. But fear not; we will all find out by first-hand experience, and probably sooner than we would like.

One of the best ways to answer Word of Wisdom questions is to explain that many religions have dietary restrictions. Just as Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Seventh-day Adventists and other religions have dietary restrictions, so do we. We abstain from coffee, tea, alcohol and tobacco for religious reasons, not for health reasons.

Tea is addictive. I was pulling out a container of tea from the work fridge today because the filtered water pitcher was behind it. Even twelve years later, I groaned as I passed it to the counter. If it stains the container it sits in, what does it do to your guts? Any time you turn to a substance for comfort other than God, you are making a false idol of it. Only turn to those things the Lord tells you to. We even fast once a month, putting our relationship with the Lord before any thing else.

After life, it depends on what stage of the afterlife. A lot of people in the afterlife are doing missionary work. They are teaching lessons while some are learning, and some do both. There is a lot of organizing invloved, a coordinating of effort so to speak, there have been a lot of people on the Earth. There is also witnessing. I think there is quite a lot that happens with us here that is being witnessed. Our loved ones have an influence on us here also. I believe that they can spend some time keeping up with us and our doings. Another thing is, when someone's work is being done in the temple, there must be some kind of notification system for that person to have the opportunity to attend and also accept. I'm sure that it has to be witnessed when that person accepts the ordinance for him/her self. I'm sure there is some type of recording being done as well. And singing :)

There is a lesson in the Gospel Principles book about what happens in the Spirit World, where we stay after death and await our resurrection : Gospel Principles Chapter 41: The Postmortal Spirit World

Anyway, I appreciate it! (I'm a new member here on the forum).

Thanks!

1. I think they are "bad" for your spiritual health as well. I see people at work who are so addicted to coffee & tea, that they can't start their days without it. I follow the W of W because it's a commandment.

2. No revealed doctrine on this. But I for one believe, going to the ballpark and watching a baseball game will definitely be something I will be doing! ^_^

That's how I answer this question.

Tea and Coffee are medicine. We don't use medicine unless we are sick. Sadly we needed a commandment before we paid attention.

What will the afterlife be like? That is going to depend on where we go after judgement day. Search celestial kingdom in the scriptures it will tell you what life will be like.

I might be able to shed a little light beyond what the others have already stated as so far as the tea/coffee rule.

Tea in most cases, refers to orange pekoe tea, the kind most distributed in the americas as "tea", your typical red rose, king kole or whatever brand name in your local area.

One of the key ingredients in tea is tannic acid, it's also an item used in tanning things such as hides (cow hides, deer hides) to separate the skin from the fur on animals.

Coffee, as most already know has caffeine, it's addictive just as the nicotine in cigarettes is. They are poisons to our bodies.

We all have a mission here in this life we need to fulfill. By cutting our lives short by adding these toxins into our systems, we may not be able to fulfill those missions we set out to do in the pre existence. Hence, we're instructed to avoid them.

As someone else said, herbal teas are considered medicine & to be used when needed, not for recreation.

As for the after life questions, I guess it would depend on which degree of glory you obtain. Celestial kingdom will be like your very best day here on earth every single day, your absolute happiest day. Terrestrial will be like your average day here, it will have it's ups and downs. Telestial will be your Monday...every single day, if something can go wrong it will go wrong.

Edited by IamMe

herbal teas are considered medicine & to be used when needed, not for recreation.

I'm sorry but herbal teas, as far as I have known, have been at the discretion of the member

if you could point me towards scripture or guidance from church leadership I would be much obliged.

I've always wondered about the no coffee tea myself. Since I know Joseph Smith was a prophet, I never had a problem with following the Word of Wisdom. And I'm very glad I did. I have been having health issues and after several tests, last week I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. My doctor handed me a sheet of paper of items I could no longer have. The very first thing on the list was coffee, tea, and alcohol. I can only imagine how bad my health would have been if I hadn't been following the Word of Wisdom these past 26 years.

Guest Thinker

The word of wisdom should be applied in wisdom.

I wonder at people who freak out about coffee - but who will load up on other forms of caffeine.

Everything done in wisdom and when appropriate - in moderation.

As far as afterlife... nobody knows.

There are people who have had near-death-experiences who can give you an idea.

Consider this:

A "day" for us is based on the sun.

What is a day like without the sun?

I believe very strongly we continue in spirit, after our bodies die.

I have had experiences that strongly testify of this.

I believe that we are unable to really comprehend it, from our limited veil/life experience.

I would think that as spiritual energy with more awareness, we will be "anxiously engaged in good causes."

Tea in most cases, refers to orange pekoe tea, the kind most distributed in the americas as "tea", your typical red rose, king kole or whatever brand name in your local area.

One of the key ingredients in tea is tannic acid, it's also an item used in tanning things such as hides (cow hides, deer hides) to separate the skin from the fur on animals.

Coffee, as most already know has caffeine, it's addictive just as the nicotine in cigarettes is. They are poisons to our bodies.

As someone else said, herbal teas are considered medicine & to be used when needed, not for recreation.

The tea referred to in the WOW is any and all teas derived from the Camellia sinensis plant. Black, green and white teas all come from this plant just different harvest time. Herbal tea is basically a conglomeration of leaves from fruit trees and the like. There is absolutely no prohibition on herbal teas. Look at the package. If the item contains black, green, white tea or says Camellia sinensis it is the tea talked about in the WOW.

I have heard so many people say that it is because of this and because of that that coffee and tea are prohibited. I prefer to think that Heavenly Father is all-knowing and wise and knows better than me or any other being on the planet what is good and bad for me. So I think I will follow his advice with what to put in my body.

Mags