Transition From Aaronic To Melchezadik Priesthoods?

I was just baptised on Dec. 30, received the Holy Ghost on Dec. 31 and then given the Aaronic Priesthood last Sunday. As a new convert, I'm still working on my knowledge of the Aaronic Priesthood. Given my age (31) I would like to know if the transition comes when I'm deemed fit or just after a certain time frame. Iwould hope it is after I'm deemed worthy, and not just some time frame formality,or is it really a combination of both? Thank you.

BTW My wife almost died when I bore my Testimony last week

Wife" Where are you going?"

Me"I think I'm going up there!"

The Spirit is truely an amazing thing to behold.

thanks guys...i really feel that i still need to work on some things...especially my studying...not the scriptures but more the Priesthood manuals...my bishop said he feels that i will make a great "Melchezadik Priest" someday...i just want it to be earned...i spent the last 15 years of my life struggling and living so selfishly...so i guess i'm having a hard time seeing myself worthy...but i'm in great company now...i don't need to rush it...my brother-in-law is a very active Melchezadik Priesthood holder and has been really instrumental in my conversion and learning...thanks again guys...chris

thanks guys...i really feel that i still need to work on some things...especially my studying...not the scriptures but more the Priesthood manuals...my bishop said he feels that i will make a great "Melchezadik Priest" someday...i just want it to be earned...i spent the last 15 years of my life struggling and living so selfishly...so i guess i'm having a hard time seeing myself worthy...but i'm in great company now...i don't need to rush it...my brother-in-law is a very active Melchezadik Priesthood holder and has been really instrumental in my conversion and learning...thanks again guys...chris

Chris.....Having the restored Priesthood and being worthy to hold it to work the affairs of the Kingdom here on earth is a wonderful thing. At times we all feel unworthy to even be members of the church....we are all sinners, we all make mistakes....therein comes Christ's Atonement....so we can be forgiven of our unrighteous acts. Your Bishop has the gift of discernment wherein he can, through the Priesthood know if you are worthy. Follow his council and when the time comes you will be given the higher Priesthood in the order of Melchezadik. You will become an Elder in the church. Remember the Priesthood of God will only work to directly benefit others and not yourself....it can only be used for the Lords purposes. The next time you attend an Elders Quorum session just look around at the others there....they are all just like you...Saints trying to perfect themselves, but perfection will not come to anyone in their lifetime...and again this is the reason for the atonement of Christ which is the greatest event in the history of the world. May God bless you on your journey in the Kingdom!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I suggest you take some initiative and ask your Bishop what he thinks you should do to prepare for it. You may have specific needs that he can discern.

I do recommend reading the D&C. There are a number of sections that deal with the Priesthood. Id probably read section 13, 20, 84 (especially), 107, 110, 121.

Id also recommend reading Alma 13.

Also, do what you can to magnify your priesthood as priest. Serve in the callings you are given. Share the Gospel with people. Ask if you can serve with the rest of the Aaronic Priesthood in providing sacrament ordinances.

When the time is right, the Lord will call you. Don't get too stressed out about worthiness. Remember, none of us is really worthy. We all fall short. It is only through the Grace of the Atonement of Jesus Christ that we can be made worthy. Rely on Him. Learn of Him. and you will be ready.

• 1 month later...
Guest GhostRider

As a new member my self was thinking the same thing..thank you also from me on this topic. i will be asking the bishop about the books and reading my d&cif you nkow of any titles please let me know?

thanks!

I was just baptised on Dec. 30, received the Holy Ghost on Dec. 31 and then given the Aaronic Priesthood last Sunday. As a new convert, I'm still working on my knowledge of the Aaronic Priesthood. Given my age (31) I would like to know if the transition comes when I'm deemed fit or just after a certain time frame. Iwould hope it is after I'm deemed worthy, and not just some time frame formality,or is it really a combination of both? Thank you.

BTW My wife almost died when I bore my Testimony last week

Wife" Where are you going?"

Me"I think I'm going up there!"

The Spirit is truely an amazing thing to behold.

6-months to a year is usual answer but for your age, it is to determined by the Spirit and your maturity in the priesthood itself. In another words, you need to able serve in that capacity and develop sufficiently understanding of the gospel. Are you attending either Elders Quorum or High Priest Quorum?

Yes! There was time I had to use the priesthood on myself while suffering a 'Brain Attack'. The priesthood does work.

Don't get too stressed out about worthiness. Remember, none of us is really worthy. We all fall short. It is only through the Grace of the Atonement of Jesus Christ that we can be made worthy. Rely on Him. Learn of Him. and you will be ready.

Correct . Remember the last question when you are being interviewed for either a Temple or Melchezdek Ordination, regards to the last question you are asked? That one always get people to hesitate. :lol: