How may the world come to know that the LDS Church is the true church of Christ?

peteolcott

“By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them”

(New Revised Standard Version) Galatians 5:22-23

“the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.”

All of Christianity, and later the whole world will become united by this simple measure of Righteousness.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are we not using the KJV Bible???

It is often less accurate because it uses an obsolete form of the English language.

For example the term "God forbid" used extensively in Romans, has nothing at all to do with God forbidding anything.

The literal meaning of the original Greek actually means {can not possibly occur}.

There are some instances where the KJV is the only correct translation:

Isaiah 45:6-7 KJV

Edited by peteolcott
more concise

The KJV is the official English transation of the Bible that the LDS church uses.

Any other translation is not the version for the LDS Church (in English).

Obviously the Church uses other translations in other languages - Santa Biblia for Spanish, for example.

The KJV is the official English transation of the Bible that the LDS church uses.

Any other translation is not the version for the LDS Church (in English).

Obviously the Church uses other translations in other languages - Santa Biblia for Spanish, for example.

I think it more than a little silly to equate a translation of the Bible with the Bible.

Also, we are not in an official church setting here, and if someone wants to use a different translation if they feel it is a better representation of a given scripture passage, why shouldn't they?

Well, for someone who repetitively posts that the LDS church is "the most righteous church" isn't using LDS scriptures, is kinda odd.

The title of this thread is about building bridges to other denominations of Christ.

Within this context it is better to speak to people using a basis that they already accept.

Here is a list of my favorite LDS Scripture:

2 Nephi 2:11

For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things.

2 Nephi 2:25

Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.

Moroni 10:4

I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Spirit shared the essential meaning of the first three of these with me long ago, long before I had any contact with LDS or LDS scripture.

3 Nephi 11:29

For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

The last verse has been the most transforming scripture that I have ever read, and it is so much more powerful when I can see that LDS members take this so much to heart, and thus form such excellent role models for me to conform to.

The title of this thread is about building bridges to other denominations of Christ.

Within this context it is better to speak to people using a basis that they already accept.

Depending on who you're talking to, your title could easily be interpreted as "Them thar's fightn words!"

"How may the world come to know that the LDS church is the true church of Christ?"

Before we can convert the world, we convert one at a time. It's one-on-one (well, two when you count the missionaries) and one-by-one. You can't convert the world all at once.

And no, it's not always better to talk to people using a basis that they already accept.

The Book of Mormon is the catalyst for the spirit to direct them. This is the basis of our missionary work - to teach and testify of all scriptures, but in particular The Book of Mormon.

Which still begs the question of when your own baptism is? You speak of converting the world when you aren't fully converted yet yourself.

I know you answered my question. But typically before trying to reach the world, one must receive the word themselves and act upon it.

You're going 10+ steps ahead of the 3rd step:

4th Article of Faith:

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are:

first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ;

second, Repentance;

third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins;

fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Missionary work isn't a part of these first four steps of the Gospel.

I'm not telling you whether to get baptised or not. That's between you and God. All I'm saying is that you're desire to get the word out is out of order of growth in the gospel.

Um, isn't that the 2nd greatest commandment? Like unto the first?

Within the context of the literal meaning of the following verse the first and second commandment are saying the same thing:

Matthew 25:40 Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Since we're on the literal NIV track:

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Gotta be careful with cherry-picking scriptures.

Since we're on the literal NIV track:

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Gotta be careful with cherry-picking scriptures.

Not when the Holy Spirit is leading the way.

Let's continue the verses:

Matthew 22:40

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Love your neighbor is good. Following the Holy Spirit is good.

But that doesn't mean that we should not be following and making covenants with God.

We follow and fulfill our covenants through the great commaments, not instead of making covenants.