Should Fhe Lessons Be Church Approved Mat. Only?

I have been a Primary teacher for about 2 years now. We just got a new Primary Pres. and at a meeting we had she said that we should only be using material that has been approved by the Church. At first I thought to myself "yeah-right" as I had relied greatly on the supplemental material that you can buy at Deseret Book. But then she said that since that material is sold for profit, if you use them, you won't have the same spirit that you would have if you just used church-approved materials. Such as the Friend and what-not. This was about last December, and since then I haven't used any of the other material, and I found out that she was right! My class is much more attentive and respectful. Since then I have been only using the church-approved FHE manual for our FHE's and I found the same thing. The spirit is much sweeter. What is your opinion on this? Do you think it's necessary to use church-approved material only?

No.

When I was in high school, my brothers and I were always so active in so many extra curricular (sp) activities that it literally became impossible at times for us all to sit down together. So on Monday's we started just spending them together if we could. So if one of us had a sporting event, then the whole family would attend and then we would go out to dinner afterwards. Sometimes our FHE was on Tues or some other night. I dunno what the actual guidelines are, but I saw nothing wrong with this system because we still spent time together as a family once a week.

Originally posted by AFDaw@Mar 16 2004, 06:03 AM

No.

When I was in high school, my brothers and I were always so active in so many extra curricular (sp) activities that it literally became impossible at times for us all to sit down together. So on Monday's we started just spending them together if we could. So if one of us had a sporting event, then the whole family would attend and then we would go out to dinner afterwards. Sometimes our FHE was on Tues or some other night. I dunno what the actual guidelines are, but I saw nothing wrong with this system because we still spent time together as a family once a week.

That's true. You do need to step out of the norm once in a while and do some recreational activities and have fun together. When I was young my family went to the community swimming pool once a month for our FHE's. I guess I just mean when you're teaching young children about the gospel, you need to be careful and make sure that what you're teaching them comes from the Church itself, so you don't misinform them.

Originally posted by Faerie@Mar 16 2004, 08:41 AM

i'm still looking for FHE ideas that childless couples can do!! Every lesson I find involves children and aren't easily manipulated to exlude children...

I've never thought about that. When dh and I were a childless couple FHE was not soomething that was on our minds at all. One thing that dh's bishop told us before we got married was that we should have FHE (didn't take his advice though! oops!) he suggested to put together FHE's that we could use when we did have children. The only other thing I can think of for 2 adults is to have some kind of discussion or something. You could each take turns preparing a lesson on a gospel principle and have a discussion about it. Just some suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that FHE lessons ought not to be LDS disapproved material, but not necessarily lds approved material only. I think it is a great idea to have a lesson on the solar system, or anything really, that would interest your family. In any case, since everything was created by God, it would be pretty difficult to find a lesson that couldn't be linked to Heavenly Father or His creation, etc.

Also, the entire idea behind a FHE is not just the scripture or religous part of it, but I would say it is the FAMILY part of it. I have known a member who, one Monday night, decided that it would be best to gather his family up and take them for ice cream. He knew what his family was going through at the moment and he excersized his ability to listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. He felt that it was the best thing to do that night.

broadway