? About a Specific Conference Talk

georgia2

Within the last three years I heard a talk given regarding the desired qualifications for the presidencies in each of the youth auxiliaries. One of the General Authorities, during General COnference, said that the leaders of the youth should consist of the strongest members in the ward. Ones who had been sealed as a couple and a family, be very active, and have a current temple recommend. This talk really stood out for me because my husband and I have had this discussion before. The leaders for the youth in our ward sometimes consisted of women whose husband were not members and who have never been endowed themselves. Sometimes there were even inactive adults called who only came when it was their turn to teach. This topic has come up recently and our Stake President said he did not remember this talk. I have been searching and searching and cannot for the life of me find it!!! Does anyone else remember this talk or have any idea of how to do a detailed search? I have tried the advanced search option on LDS.org but to no avail. THANKS SO MUCH !!!! :huh:

I'm not familiar with such a talk, but I think making such blanket recommendations is dangerously close (if not crossing well into) foolishness.

It's far better to call youth leaders who are committed to the youth and willing to invest the time it takes to develop strong mentoring relationships with them. A person without a temple recommend who is committed to improving the long term development in the youth is going to be a better mentor to the youth than a person with a temple recommend who thinks they need to show up each week to make sure there is a teacher.

I'm not sure about a conference talk, but you may want to refer to the Handbook 2.

This section talks about how leaders can best lead by example.

And this section gives the guidelines on determining who to call for the various callings and speaks much of worthiness. It even gives guidelines on non-member callings.