The Official 2012 Christmas Music Thread

Wingnut

It's not December yet, but it's after Thanksgiving -- wahoo!!! I want us to get to know each other in terms of Christmas music. Feel free to discuss anything related to Christmas music -- including Song Pop challenges (I'm looking at you, Pam!) -- but I'll ask a few questions to kick things off.

1) What is your all-time most favoritest ever Christmas song?

2) Is there a particular song and/or album that makes you feel nostalgic?

3) What is a must-have album for you?

4) Are there any Christmas songs that you discovered this year or last year that you didn't know before, but you now really like?

1. Don't have one,

2. Anything from The Nutcracker.

3. In recent years, I've really enjoyed The Polar Express soundtrack.

4. Um. Nope. But Dolly Parton did some great Christmas songs from Holiday 1986! Listened to them yesterday.

Hallelujah chorus by Handel

Dr Demento presents: Greatest Christmas Novelty CD

Handel's Messiah

4) Are there any Christmas songs that you discovered this year or last year that you didn't know before, but you now really like?

I'll get back to you...

I'm very traditional when it comes to Christmas music. My absolutely favorites are Christmas hymns and other religiously themed songs. I believe I'm tied between "Oh Holy Night" and "Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella", with "Silent Night" as a close runner-up. I also like the older songs--Winter Wonderland and Silver Bells being two favorites.

I DON'T like the poppy ones. At all. Which makes listening to Christmas stations difficult. I'll like one song, hate the next.

Christmas Music -- Bah Humbug!!

I was in restaurant management/ownership for over 25 years and had to listen to Christmas music 10-14 hours a day 6 days a week from Thanksgiving until New Years and frankly after that I now HATE it!!

I used to work in a retail store in the mall that started in on Manheim in September. I used to like Manheim, but now I can't stand it.

Love that one!

I have lots of different favorites. This year, it's "O Come, O Come, Emanuel". I've been listening to various artists sing the song. Love it. There's a particular rendition on YouTube that I like sung by Aled Jones.

The Carpenters, "Christmas Song"

The Carpenters: Christmas Portrait, and any of Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas albums.

"How Great Our Joy" a German Carol sung by Pam's group the Sterling Singers. Beautiful. Edited by classylady

I don't have YouTube access right now and so can't offer a link, but Carrie Underwood did a version of "What Child Is This" a couple of years ago that includes what sounds like an instrumental bit of the refrain from Fiddler on the Roof's "Sunrise, Sunset". It is hauntingly beautiful.

Edit:

added.

And, in Slamjet's vein:

Edited by Just_A_Guy