Prisonchaplain audio & visual! Philippians 4

prisonchaplain

Three times a year I am privileged to speak at my home church. I usually post the audio podcast here, for those interested. This time we've begun streaming over the internet...so you can actually see how the stumblings and grumblings looks. Let the faint of heart beware! (Choose the November 25, 2012 service). To skip the singing and announcements start at approximately 45:00.

Live Streaming | Angle Lake Neighborhood Church

Philippians 4: Grace comes from God—through His church!

Introduction: Today we examine Philippians 4, as we continue our series through the book. What we find is that God blesses us most often through his people—his church!

Scripture: Philippians 4

Beginning with Verses 1 &2: 1 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!

2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

· Paul and those he mentions have gone through something together.

· You can hear it in the verses.

o Stand firm.

o Stay together.

o We have contended!

· What about us, Angle Lake? Have we not gone through trials together?

o Job losses?

o Sicknesses?

o Family turmoil?

o I remember when Pastor Steve let us know that he felt led of the Lord to move on.

§ Of course there was sadness at losing our Shepherd.

§ Yet, our leadership rose. Pastor Mark and the deacons led us well.

§ We did not panic, rapidly choosing the first qualified pastor that came our way.

§ Neither did we delay and become fractious, with different parties vying for power.

§ With God’s help we were steadfast. We were united.

· Today we face great uncertainty.

o There are wars and rumors of wars. Iran, Afghanistan—even North Korea.

o The economy remains uncertain. Even if things improve quickly, we know that our nation has a mountain of debts that will come due.

o Of course, we continue to face personal struggles.

§ Jobs

§ Sickness

§ Family turmoil

o Paul’s answer to us is the same—let us remain steadfast—keeping our hope and faith in God!

o Let us remain united—leaning on one another for support, instead of breaking off into competing groups, lobbying for our own man-made solutions.

Continuing with verses 4-7: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

· What troubles you today?

o Personal situations?

o National or local politics?

o Wayward children…or parents…or spouses?

· Without denying our troubles, Paul reminds us of that which we celebrate this week. We are to rejoice—to be thankful!

o It’s easy, and sometimes even trite, to say we should be thankful for our health, for our loved ones, for what little we do actually have.

o It is true, and yet galling, when we are told to be thankful we live in America, and not in a land where Christians are martyred, brutalized, or imprisoned.

o BUT the main reason I would be thankful is that the LORD is near. That regardless of the circumstance, I have the peace of God!

tory of the room of crosses. o Man goes in complaining his cross is too big.

o Jesus takes it and invites him to pick any cross in the store.

o He looks around for a long time, but all the crosses are big and heavy.

o Just when he’s about to give up, he finds a small looking cross stuck in a corner.

o He finds that it is also relatively light, and brings it sheepishly to Jesus.

o He feels ashamed for picking the smallest, lightest, easiest cross in the store. Yet he knows it is all he can handle.

o When Jesus sees it his smiles, and feigns to be perplexed.

o “I don’t understand,” Jesus says, “That’s the cross you came in with!”

· That’s an old cute story.

o But frankly, it is rather harsh.

o THERE IS NO CROSS THAT I CAN BARE!

o We were not created to live in a world of sin, sickness, corruption and death.

o This life is so hard because sin is bearing it’s horrific harvest—and we are stuck with the wicked produce.

o We were created to glory in God, to revel in his presence, and to live as his eternal companions, in a Garden without weeds or toil.

· So, on the one hand, I would say we should all empathize with each other’s crosses. None can be born without the power and peace of the Holy Spirit to sustain us.

· However, the Spirit does fill us, abide with us, and protect us.

o God’s holy angels do encamp about us.

o We remain heaven bound, and our eternal reward promises to be even greater than the Garden.

o And so, yes…I will rejoice.

o God will get me through this, and to THAT…that blessed hope that keeps us all going. AMEN???

Now reading Verses 8-9: 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

· It’s amazing how easily we can be side-tracked. We get distressed about so many things.

o We’ve repeatedly mentioned personal circumstances. Jobs, sickness, troubled family members can all weigh down our spirits.

o The news.

§ Whether you watch FOX or MSNBC, whether you read the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal, the news can be fascinating and frightening.

§ Economic ruin seems to be just around the corner.

§ There are also wars and rumors of wars.

o Still others get all wrapped up in various TV shows, be they soap operas or reality shows.

o What’s this…the men snicker??? Yet, how often we allow the fate of our favorite sports team to determine how emotion state—sometimes for days!

· Paul reminds us to get our focus back on Jesus and the good things of God.

o It’s fine to watch the news, favored shows, or sports.

o However, none of it is eternal.

o Jesus, and the eternal truths of God—these are what should anchor us in peace and hope.

· Am I the only one who took a few days away from the news after the elections? I turned my radio dial away from the talk, and put on praise and worship music. The songs and the worship helped me to remember that, yes, it is well with my soul.

Now for verses 10-13: 10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

· Imagine a place where you could just lie and watch TV all you wanted. Your meals would be catered, and would always be perfectly matched to your health needs. Professionals would be available at a moment’s notice, to ensure your wellbeing. Of course, I’m describing a HOSPITAL.

· Now picture a place with no TV, no hot showers, and one in which you only had temporary shelter. The only way you could cook would be to create your own outdoor fire. I’m describing a typical CAMPING SITE.

· Most of us, whether we like camping or not, would prefer the second option.

· Paul reminds that even in the worst case, a hospital is but a transit station on our way to Glory Land. Whatever we face now, it’s only temporary, and the eternal God will get me through!

· We can be content in all circumstances, because our eternal circumstance will be so good!

Concluding with Verses 14-21: 14 Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15 Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. 17 Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. 18 I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Final Greetings

21 Greet all God’s people in Christ Jesus. The brothers and sisters who are with me send greetings. 22 All God’s people here send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar’s household.

23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.[a]

· Paul reminds us that in the church we share our troubles.

o Whether we pray for each other, cry for each other, or help each other out, we are a family.

o There is tremendous comfort in that.

· My argument would be the very last verse we read—telling us the grace of God is with us—most often might be expressed through our brothers and sisters in the church. We are God’s grace to one another, amen???

Conclusion: What have we said today. · We stick together—defending one another.

· We rely on God for strength and peace.

· We have contentment if we’ll but take it into our minds.

· Finally, God’s grace is most often expressed to us and through us.

o To us, from our brothers and sisters in the church.

o From us—to our brothers and sisters in the church.

Some confuse contentment with laziness or a lack of ambition. Others believe they have the gift of criticism. Still others just enjoy complaining. Sadly, some remain oppressed by false guilt and believe they are unworthy of contentment. Of course no one is worthy, yet all can receive, thanks to the shed blood of Jesus.