Gifts for The Wife?

Bini

My mother always said, "Don't buy a woman cleaning supplies or kitchen appliances for a gift." I can understand the sentiment behind that, after all, what woman wants to clean or cook on her birthday or over the entire Holiday period? Probably not many.. So I must be odd! Because kitchen appliances are just some of the items on my wish list.

Alright, so I want to replace my pots and pans set that I received the first Christmas I was married. It's a very nice setup but because I cook so much, and LOVE cooking, they're a bit weathered.. This particular set is from Costco, nice quality and reasonable price. I'd consider purchasing from there again but I thought a RED set of pots and pans would be fun. Unfortunately, not finding it in red :( Any suggestions for a RED set of pots and pans? Brand? Quality? Where to shop? I saw that Macy's has sets but they're from Paula and Rachael Ray, both great chefs, but is their cookware good?

It's taken me awhile to convince my husband that if I ask for a blender, I really want it, I won't buy it for myself, and it IS okay to get it for me for Christmas.

I like getting anything that makes my work easier or more fun. But he always gets me something pretty or frivolous, too, even if it's something small. :)

Ahh... the silly notion of - If I buy her cookware that must mean I want her to be my cook-slave.

My husband got reamed by his co-workers because every bday, he gets me kitchen and cleaning stuff. Well, I would much rather have kitchen and cleaning stuff than jewelry! Matter of fact, if my husband buys me jewelry it will be headed straight to the jeweler store for a quick refund and then off I go to Williams and Sonoma with the money!

Okay, I got one advice... don't get "colored" cookware. My kitchen, well my entire house actually, has red accents. So, my kitchen has lots of red stuff on it. For example - all my cooking spoons and spatulas and measuring cups, etc. etc. are stainless steel handles and red rubbers/plastic. My cutting board is red, my towels and all that stuff are red. But the cookware... stainless steel... like all my other big appliances. The reason why I say not to get colored cookware - I am very attached to my cookware, not so much my cooking spoons. So, if I ever get tired of red or even if I just want to ditch red temporarily for some summer colors in the summer, I can easily do so by just changing spoons and towels and knick knacks... Cookware, like the appliances remain the foundation color... in my case, I opted for timeless Stainless Steel and Black foundation colors.

Okay, as for types of cookware - Rachel Ray's hard anodized cookware is good. And it comes in red. I have an All-Clad stainless steel set and I really like it. Now, disclaimer - I'm not a good cook and I'm known to burn everything I cook - I could burn boiling water if it was possible. That's really why I like All-Clad because the many times I've burnt something in those pans, I have not encountered too much of a problem scraping it out. And I can even use metal spoons with it. I had Calphalons before that and I destroyed them.

Good point. I tend to grow tired of the same routine day in and day out but I'm also a creature of habit with some things, so possibly, I would become weary of red pots and pans. Funny, though, our kitchen is red too.. Not all red but what is colour, is red.

On my bday last year I went and purchased me a kitchen aid. I love to cook, and I am a man. My wife thought it was funny, because she loves to bake and uses it a lot also.

If I remember correctly, Khol's has some nice pots and pans in all colors. Not sure how good they are though.

When people say that you shouldn't get kitchen appliances for your wife, they forget to add on the qualifier "unless she asks for it."

"But how do I know if she wants it?" you ask. It's simple. If she wants it, she'll complain about not having one. If you listen to your wife, you'll know.

But if your wife hasn't expressed interest in a certain kitchen gadget, don't go buy one. And if you'r enot sure what to get, offer to go shopping with her for an evening (I know that sounds miserable, but if you put a smile on and bear it for a night, you'll get huge points).

Over the years I have learned the hard way never go cheap! Never use teflon coated anything!

I inherited cast iron cookware- a few pans at a time from my best friend (her son was a chef and when he passed away, she gave me his utensils and cookware.) Then I replaced my old cast aluminum with stainless steel. One piece at a time when I had the money.

Quality stainless steel when used properly does not stick, and cleans up like a charm. I have been tempted to purchase Paul Deen's cookware, then I look long and hard at it and the teflon coating causes me to pass on ALL of her items. Same for Rachel Ray's, same for any of them out there using the "Non-stick" interiors.

I prefer Anchor Hocking/Pyrex bake ware too - can use it in the oven and microwave- plus it is so darn easy to clean up - when it gets all nasty with baked on messes, you just take it outside and spray down with oven cleaner. Let sit for an hour, then rinse with the garden hose, then put in the dishwasher!

To make sure that the stainless steel items I got were of the better to best quality, I tested it out with a magnet. If a magnet sticks to it, there isn't much stainless to it.

I agree with Anatess, use dishtowels, dish drainer, trash containers, curtains, etc. to get your dose of red. I have gone from Harvest colors to blues and now to black/red/and cobalt blue schemes. Really love this latest color combination. My stainless pots and pans, mixed with my anchor hocking clear and amber bake ware go well with my apple red/black/cobalt blue accessories.

My latest purchase is a 2.5 quart apple red exterior w/white enameled cast iron dutch oven. Love baked beans in it, or beef stew. It is just the right size for Hubby and myself.

I agree with Iggy. Get good quality items. Non-stick has never lasted in my house.

My problem is how to store my pots with their lids in my cupboard. I can stack the pans nicely, but the lids just seem to be jumbled in there, and I have a hard time finding the right lid to go on the right pan.

Bini, the new Outlets at Traverse Mountain have a couple of kitchen stores. You might enjoy checking them out.

Edited by classylady

i don't know, but if you figure it out, can you be sure to tell my husband? ;)

- .... . / - .-. .. -.-. -.- / .. ... / .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. / - .... . / .-. .. --. .... - / -- . -.. .. ..- -- / .- -. -.. / .-.. .- -. --. ..- .- --. . / --- ..-. / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. .-.-.-

My problem is how to store my pots with their lids in my cupboard. I can stack the pans nicely, but the lids just seem to jumbled in there, and I have a hard time finding the right lid to go on the right pan.

I used to use a plastic dish drainer for the lids- Now I use these: Lynk 430021 Roll Out Lid Holder 7.25W x 21D x 9H in.: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com They don't hold the really large lids- 10 inch and larger. They are a bit spendy - but they outlast the plastic dish drainer and they don't tip over (you screw them into a fixed shelf). I am having a gentleman from my Branch make me a horizontal lid holder for the larger glass and metal lids. Similar to the vertical storage: Cookie Sheet Storage Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas On my bottom shelf, there is a 1.5" lip, and if I put spacers there to lift the roll-out to clear that lip, then there isn't enough room for the large lids. BUT if we put a horizontal shelving all across the bottom shelf, I can store ALL of my huge lids.

I use small casserole dishes with lids for nuking foods, and for serving soup in. For the extra 3" & 4" glass lids, they are perfect. I bought all of the tiny lids at the Salvation Army & St Vincents for $0.25 each. They not only fit the small round casserole dishes, but also the large cups (similar to these T1113 Jumbo Soup Mugs - Buy Jumbo Soup Mugs,Coffee Mug,Ceramic Mug Product on Alibaba.com ) . Plastic wrap works, but a lid is much better.

- .... . / - .-. .. -.-. -.- / .. ... / .-.. . .- .-. -. .. -. --. / - .... . / .-. .. --. .... - / -- . -.. .. ..- -- / .- -. -.. / .-.. .- -. --. ..- .- --. . / --- ..-. / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - .. --- -. .-.-.-

I can't begin to describe how hilarious this is. I've spent the past 40 minutes trying to come up with some kind of a response. Every time I attempt, I go......................................................(that isn't morse code)

All hail the master!

Teflon isn't the good stuff it is touted to be.

From Rodale.com I just searched for teflon and these are the articles that pop up - Search Results: teflon Read through them yourself.

I quit cooking with non-stick pans a decade ago - when the bits and pieces of the teflon ended up in my foods. ICK!

And just a factoid - cooking with teflon cookware can kill your pet bird...