Where should an investigator start?

ashleyn09

Hey everyone, I am really interested in the church. I have been for sometime. I know that those interested are encouraged to contact the missionaries. I am in a place on my life where life is busy. However, I do want to start learning so when I am ready. I will know it is right. I have a tendency to jump into things without thinking about it. Only to lose interest later. I want to be double sure the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is right for me. I really feel this is right for me. May someone please point me into the right direction? Where should I start? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Well, there are a couple of things you can do. If you have specific questions, you can definitely ask them here. There are lots of members here who would be more than happy to answer them. Another thing you should do is read the Book of Mormon. You can order a free copy here:

Free Book of Mormon | Mormon.org

There are also lots of resources on mormon.org and lds.org. For instance, mormon.org has a place where you can chat with missionaries. lds.org has tons of sermons and things like that.

Probably the best place to start would be to attend church. You can find the nearest chapel by going here: Find a Meetinghouse Near You | Mormon.org.

What do you know about the church? Do you have any specific questions?

I know that the church's founder, Joseph Smith, was having a diificult time deciding what church to join. He prayed until Moroni camed to him and told him that there were gold plates that he needed to translate. He was told he could not get them now but he would in a few years. Seven years he was told to retrieve them in upstate New York. It took him about a year to translate them. When he was done, the same spirit retrieve them back. This was I believe 1820. The church was organized in 1830. Missionaries were sent out to bring new followers. Smith was murdered by a mod will he was in jail in 1844. Brigham Young lead the early members of the LDS to today to Utah. The church has Words of Wisdom with advisises its members to abstinence from alcohol, drugs, and tobacco products. They also encourage members to fast, maintain sexual purity, eat meat in moderation, and a modest dress code. The current prophet is Thomas S. Monson. LDS uses the Bible as long as it is translated correctly. Other standard works of the church are Doctrines and Conveants and Pearl of Great Price.

Pretty decent summary!

Slight correction however: Joseph Smith prayed and was visited by God the Father and Jesus Christ who told him to join none of the other churches.

Who was Joseph Smith?

Joseph Smith?History 1:8-17 

I would recommend reading in The Book of Mormon - 3 Nephi 11 and Alma 32. These are two very good chapters to start your studies.

Thank you sanctitasdeo for answering my topic. It means alot. I just feel I am not doing things right.

You are very welcome. I can see how something like this might be overwhelming. skippy's reading suggestions are pretty good.

I think attending church next week might be the next step. It seems as though the best way to go about deciding whether you want to join a church might be to check it out in person.

But seriously, if you have more questions about the church or about what you read, feel free so start a thread here or PM me.

The Book of Mormon has improved my life in countless ways with its teachings about Jesus Christ. I love to see it help others.

Hey everyone, I am really interested in the church. I have been for sometime. I know that those interested are encouraged to contact the missionaries. I am in a place on my life where life is busy. However, I do want to start learning so when I am ready. I will know it is right. I have a tendency to jump into things without thinking about it. Only to lose interest later. I want to be double sure the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is right for me. I really feel this is right for me. May someone please point me into the right direction? Where should I start? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

If you really want to surprise and delight the missionaries if/when you meet them, you can access the Mormon missionary handbook online here. The lessons they would teach you are in Chapter 3.

If you really want to surprise and delight the missionaries if/when you meet them, you can access the Mormon missionary handbook online here. The lessons they would teach you are in Chapter 3.

I have it downloaded in the LDS Gospel Library on my Kindle Fire. I will read it. Thank you. I really hope one day I do. :)

I investigated for five years before I became a member. There is no "best" way to find out about the Church. I am military and was out of town a lot. I spent a lot of time on this forum reading about different topics. Read scripture and pray. You can do that on your own time. If you have a question try and find the answer. If you can find the answer ask someone to help. Go to your local church and make friends. There is no set time for you to decide.