Obligatory Myan End-of-the-World Thread

NeuroTypical

I think on the 12th I'll throw caution to the wind, abandon my diet, and eat myself sick on Pizza Hut supreme pizza and cupcakes.

Then on the 13th I'll cry over my weight gain and go back to low-carb.

The Mayan calender does not predict the end of the world. However, a few rather uninformed "Christians" have found means to interpret the Mayan calender into convincing them that their apocalyptic interpretations derived from their understanding of the Bible has led them down a strange path of thinking so.

I wonder how many converts they could get if by some chance something were to happen on the 21st?

The Traveler

I worked on a few Y2K projects in Denver. I think they estimated somewhere between 2 and 150 billion dollars were spent worldwid making sure the horrible things didn't happen.

Where's all the billions being thrown at "Mayan extinction avoidance"? Huh? HUH!??!?

Sending our president on vacation to Hawaii. ^_^

I'm wondering if some future culture will read about the Y2K dating issue and conclude that early programmers must have felt the world would not last past 1999.

I don't think so. I think they will have it in their history textbooks that "you can program your way out of the end of the world".

:D

I'm wondering if some future culture will read about the Y2K dating issue and conclude that early programmers must have felt the world would not last past 1999.

Interesting idea - but there is a bigger problem when the UNIX long integer clock (date time) rolls over. But most people have no idea when that will happen.

The Traveler